PDA

View Full Version : Water leak at transom of '95 Moomba Boomerang

Hugh McLawhorn
06-17-2002, 11:36 AM
I have a '95 Moomba Boomerang and it appears that I am taking on a lot of water where the rudder exits the transom. There is a slot that is approximately 6 inches wide by 1 inch deep on the transom. I believe that I am taking on water from this slot and I would like to know if there is a solution for this problem? My engine also seems to be running rich and idles poorly. I have changed plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor. Obviously, the problem is with the carburetor adjustment. Any suggestions? Hugh McLawhorn [email protected]

01-30-2003, 06:44 AM
I also have a 95 Moomba with the a hole in the rear for the rudder. I ordered the part from a authorized dealer in the area. It was a cheap piece of plastic that I screwed in tightly over the rudder. I had to cut the piece to make it fit correctly. It now prevents splashes or waves from entering hole. It's nearly impossible to completely seal but does the job. I have a float switch on my bilge and the bilge is bigger also. I also regulary squeeze 5 to 7 people on the boat and weight it down with fat sacs and without that cover i would sink.

My boat has run very well till just recently, the carburetors that they come with are crap and its on its last straw. It has worked tine but just needs constant tuning, and with constant i mean just like 3 minutes every 1 or 2weeks. I will be switching to an edelbrock 650 cfm shortly. The Holley carbs are just problematic, i recommend an upgrade.

Brian Raymond
01-30-2003, 11:50 PM
Hugh, first verify the leak. I would check the exhaust flanges and hose clamps,also be sure that the shaft packing is adjusted properly. If you are for certain that water is coming through the rudder arm cover, put some silicone around the top and side edges only. Keep in mind that hard reverses, such as backing off of a trailer and quick stops from W.O.T. to neut. will let some water into the opening. Hope this helps, keep me posted. As for the carb. issue, it sounds like gunk build up in the needle and seat, which control float level, if this level is to high, you may run into the issues that you are having. Take the boat to an authorized dealer, let them run the boat and make the call, there is to much liability at stake to try to do internal adjusting at home. Brian Raymond

03-08-2003, 09:05 PM
I have an older boomerang that developed a leak where the shaft comes through. Think it was because a boat lift pushed up on the shaft. Since the fiberglass enclosure is attached with epoxy which had separated I built a dam out of tissue around the area and poured some to flood the area. This sealed everything up and stopped the leaking.

George

Brian Raymond
03-24-2003, 11:42 PM
Hugh, I forgot to mention the no. 1 issue with rich running boats, sorry. Tighten the primary and secondary float bowl screws((4) 5/16 hexnuts on each end of the carb.) these loosen with all the expanding and contracting of the soft metal the carbs. are made of, due to the temperature indifferences they are put under. When these float bowl screws become loose, this gives fuel the chance to leak between the internal gaskets, and have an unmetered fuel situation, thus, causing a rich running condition.Brian Raymond

mtvfiremedic
07-11-2003, 04:29 PM
hey there i have a 98 boomerang with same problem - water coming in under plastic coveron the transom above the swim step where the rudder arm exits transo. this was true especially on steep ramps where the back of boat enters water and trailer keeps it at an angle if you dont back in far enough. My fix was to get boat to edge of water, give your self about a foot of strap from your winch back it in a little deeper than normal and let boat float off trailer and level out. also avoid fast reverse and quick stops from full speed
Call it a bad design and learn to live with it.. and make sure your bilge is in working order... took me a while to figure it out... but that was definitely it..

Brian Raymond, if you read this... are there any foam inserts that can be fitted into that slot to keep water from flowing in but allow the arm to move freely backa nd forth?

thanks Brian Collins Moomba Boomerang owner

Brian Raymond
07-12-2003, 12:18 AM
Brian, unfortunately, there is no true fix to this issue. To help cut down on the water intake, is to run a bead of silicone around the top and side edges, and the bottom edge to the ruddershaft opening. Please make sure you do not restrict any travel of the shaft or rudder arm. Brian Raymond

05-07-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by mtvfiremedic

hey there i have a 98 boomerang with same problem - water coming in under plastic coveron the transom above the swim step where the rudder arm exits transo. this was true especially on steep ramps where the back of boat enters water and trailer keeps it at an angle if you dont back in far enough. My fix was to get boat to edge of water, give your self about a foot of strap from your winch back it in a little deeper than normal and let boat float off trailer and level out. also avoid fast reverse and quick stops from full speed
Call it a bad design and learn to live with it.. and make sure your bilge is in working order... took me a while to figure it out... but that was definitely it..

Brian Raymond, if you read this... are there any foam inserts that can be fitted into that slot to keep water from flowing in but allow the arm to move freely backa nd forth?

thanks Brian Collins Moomba Boomerang owner