PDA

View Full Version : New tow rig search

chester
12-29-2017, 11:11 AM
Any forum members know someone who works at a GMC dealer? I'm looking to get a new Sierra 1500 SLT premium plus crew cab 4WD and figured I'd see if anyone had any connections to help get a really good deal. Also please don't reply if you're going to suggest different brands and such as I don't want this to turn into a brand fight thread. There are a lot of great truck brands out there and I've researched for a long time, and this ends up being the one I want.

Thanks!

sandm
12-29-2017, 12:40 PM
not sure where you are at in wisconsin but I bought my '16 chevy silverado as a year old trade in this last january from bergstrom gmc in green bay. overall experience was very good there. no connections for discounts but I as well shopped long and hard, drove trucks from all 3 majors, settled on chevy/gmc and in the end the best deal on a year old under 12k mile truck came from them after shopping from gb to madison. their pricing seemed very good.

good luck.

chester
12-29-2017, 12:56 PM
Thanks. Yeah I'm actually looking nationwide because I've seen prices in other states for what a 2 to 3 year old with 30k to 40k miles costs here. But buying over the phone is proving to be more difficult than I expected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandm
12-29-2017, 01:51 PM
you probably know this already but if buying new, calling the dealership will get you nowhere. salesmen are motivated by what's in front of them, not a phone call. use the online sales person most dealerships have nowadays. you will get better service and callbacks most of the time.

russellsmojo
12-29-2017, 02:15 PM
Since doing a gm product it would be great to find one with max tow package. Adds airbags and a few other goodies ( assuming pickup is same as Tahoe max package)

chester
12-29-2017, 05:20 PM
From what I read, adding the max trailer to a premium plus SLT sierra adds 300 lbs of payload and 1700 lbs of towing capacity. I believe all that really changed is the axle size and revised shocks/springs. Since the 9100 towing/1760 payload is plenty for my 2008 LSV, I will likely not get the max trailering.

chester
12-29-2017, 05:21 PM
Sandm, I actually didn't know that. I will see how it goes with the online chat. I thought that was just for info but for working out pricing you had to talk to a salesperson on the phone. Thanks for the info!

russellsmojo
12-29-2017, 05:53 PM
From what I read, adding the max trailer to a premium plus SLT sierra adds 300 lbs of payload and 1700 lbs of towing capacity. I believe all that really changed is the axle size and revised shocks/springs. Since the 9100 towing/1760 payload is plenty for my 2008 LSV, I will likely not get the max trailering.

True. Just watch the gears. Big change from 3.08 to 3.42. Maybe it’s 3.42 in premium plus package. I am not too familiar with that package.

Are you looking for 6.2L?

http://m.gmc.com/trailering-towing/towing-charts.html

chester
12-29-2017, 05:57 PM
Yup, premium plus is the 3.42. Without that it drops to 6100 lbs. And I totally understand, pretty sure the trims and package system is setup just to confuse everyone haha. I know nothing of tahoe packages so the feeling is mutual.

chester
12-29-2017, 06:45 PM
Tried the online thing, she just ended up asking for my phone and email after she gets with her sales team haha. Oh well

sandm
12-29-2017, 08:40 PM
I have had good luck with the online chat. it lets them know you are serious and the chat person will have some followup to ensure you are getting responded to.
better luck than just calling.

I opted for the z71 package on my chevy- not sure what that all entails but it has the trailer brake controller incab which leads me to believe it's a tow package. salesman told me that the z71 means it's set up to tow. I towed my old '12 tige 22ve from wisconsin to slc in may. averaged 9.5mpg's and truck pulls solid at 75mph's all day long.

zabooda
12-29-2017, 09:22 PM
I have done transactions over the phone and internet with the last one including a trade in. Find the vehicle with the package you want and work the price. Then give the local dealer an opportunity to beat it without divulging the dealer you are working with. Where I live, I have the Salt Lake City area and the Portland area where I have had good success. Buying new there should be no surprises. The best price would be with someone who works for corporate and deliver the truck to your local dealer. Cars are much cheaper than dealers can get them. Good luck in your search.

chester
12-30-2017, 02:57 AM
Thanks guys. Sandm I dunno if the z71 is considered a towing suspension, pretty sure it is setup so that you don't feel the bumps. But the premium plus I'm looking for has it and I know many people that have it with no towing issues. Actually it can really help resale because it is a recognized feature. Zabooda, good to know. I was watching prices for the past year waiting for approval from the boss so I have an idea of what prices I should be able to get. Now just a matter of where to find them. The best dealer prices I've seen are in st Louis and Houston. Dennis Dillon in Boise was pretty good too, but that is a haul for me

sandm
12-30-2017, 03:06 AM
I have bought 3 vehicles from dennis dillon over the years and where my last '00 ford tow rig came from when I bought it in '07. they are a good outfit if you end up using them..

they also have a killer boat selection as the RV dealership side finances the boat business although not sure they have a good new boat buyer as they ventured into Gekko a few years ago and don't believe they ever sold the initial setup order.

jmvotto
12-30-2017, 09:52 AM
Not sure how far your willing my to go , but people travel from all over the country to get these prices . This listed prices are what you get really no negotiating

http://m.simmons-rockwell.com/gmc?p=4

patrick232
12-31-2017, 12:22 PM
Start a chat with the GMC.com inventory person they can find you a truck and will give you the dealer name. Call and ask for the new car manager and give him the provided Vin and have him controlled they have it and email you pricing. This cuts out the back and forth of a sales person and most of the time they are the only ones that can hold a car until sold. I looked at the normal GMC dealer we work with they only have a 2017 Denali left with a $14k discount. The SALT are listed customs.

russellsmojo
12-31-2017, 12:40 PM
I looked at the normal GMC dealer we work with they only have a 2017 Denali left with a $14k discount.

$14k off cracks me up. Think about all the 2017 trucks sold with “$100 profit”. Or better yet “we are taking a loss on this one for you taking $5k off”.

Over a persons lifetime we will buy many cars. It would a good high school or college class on how a dealership operates. I wish I would have sold cars for a month just to see what all is going on behind the scenes.

sandm
12-31-2017, 03:11 PM
not sure a month of selling cars would really give you an insight into the finance side. there are many back door kickbacks that happen after the fact that I would bet the finance manager/accounting manager does not share with the salesmen.
it is a very interesting business model.

when I was shopping for mine in jan 16, I looked at a couple of new chevys. they were, rough and tough, 10k off msrp. one dealer in Kaukauna Wi had a '15 left- brand new. one would think it would be discounted even greater but it was full msrp with no discounts. sales manager told me that chevy was not kicking back on '15's anymore and dealership was not willing to cough up the money. wonder how long it really sat there...

russellsmojo
12-31-2017, 04:14 PM
Your are correct on a month, speaking more figuratively than anything. Just would like to know more about what’s really going.

OP I looked around here and did not see any with premier plus package. One I saw in Houston was like sandman is saying...premier plus was more than a Denali they have on the lot. Taking like $12k off Denali and none off plus.

chester
12-31-2017, 07:33 PM
I don't even look at MSRP, it almost seems like a fake number haha. What I have done for the last year was used Autotrader to find dealers that seemed to offer the best prices and then checked in from time to time to see what pricing is like. around the model year end, I saw SLT premium plus for $40500 so i know it is possible, just a matter of how badly a dealer needs to sell i guess. I actually saved the webpages, and it looks like they are around $16k off MSRP.

sandm
01-02-2018, 12:22 PM
best time to buy was dec 30th. now might as well wait until the end of january to help some dealer have a record first month in '18.

wolff supra21v
01-02-2018, 01:34 PM
I bought my truck from Laura Buick/GMC in Collinsville IL. they are supposedly bouncing from the #1 to #3 dealer in the country depending on the time of year. two years ago they beat all local dealers by over $10,000 on my 15 GMC Sierra (they did not budge on the price they gave me but they did not have to) they also have hundreds of trucks on the lot. It was local for me but when I pick my truck up they had two guys who job was to go to the airport and pick people up.
I bet in the two hours It took to finalize my truck 10 people showed up with suit case and that was because the flew in from out of town.

here is the web page for them.
https://www.laurabuickgmc.com

chester
01-02-2018, 07:08 PM
Yeah Laura is one of the main ones I've been following, and actually where I saw the SLT premium plus with so much off. They just sold 17 denalis for $44k. It was tempting. I tried to buy from a couple dealers at the end of December but none would budge on price and when they heard I was out of town the convo stopped. Must have been a good sales month I guess

russellsmojo
01-02-2018, 08:54 PM
Chester you got me curious on the premium plus package. Check this dealer out, they have a bunch. I stopped in there Monday and they were ready to deal. I think $40k would get one.

https://www.mckinneybuickgmc.com/

I also researched a little because the amount off seemed suspicious. You may already know this but gm will be revealing new truck later this year for 2019. Hitting lots in late 2018. New body style may not matter but good to know before you buy.

chester
01-02-2018, 09:12 PM
Are you saying 2019's will be a new body style? And right now it is super confusing because many are considering the trade in assistance in their savings amount. I do not plan to trade since that would be quite difficult from out of town

chester
01-02-2018, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the dealer suggestion. It looks like the ones you refer to are 4x2. I suppose I didn't mention I will want 4x4 being in the northern snowy climate

russellsmojo
01-02-2018, 09:33 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180103/3ff19958491e2dddc80f8a87ea72ac0c.jpg

They have several 4x4.

russellsmojo
01-02-2018, 09:34 PM
Are you saying 2019's will be a new body style? And right now it is super confusing because many are considering the trade in assistance in their savings amount. I do not plan to trade since that would be quite difficult from out of town

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Yes. Chevrolet and GMC trucks getting major redesign for 2019 model coming out later this year.

chester
01-02-2018, 10:14 PM
That's what i get for trying to look on my phone. Also, I see what you mean about the 2019 years. I dunno if i like it. Although i seem to say that every iteration and learn to like it. Hopefully i can figure out how to post an image here.

kaneboats
01-03-2018, 10:38 AM
Hmm. Seems a bit Dodgy if you ask me.

sandm
01-03-2018, 01:19 PM
Hmm. Seems a bit Dodgy if you ask me.

sans the giant uterus on the back tailgate ;)