PDA

View Full Version : general moomba questions

rodltg2
09-11-2006, 08:30 PM
hello moomba community. i am new to your site although not new to bulletin boards or boats. my question is for a friend of mine who is looking to upgrade from his bayliner to an inboard. we were out on the lake yesterday and he asked me which inboard boat brand would be most affordable for him to upgrade too. i suggested a moomba although i dont know hardly anything about them. my knowledge is limited to the big three slalom boats. he wants a V drive and something thats a better watersports boat than his bayliner. from browsing the moomba site it seems like the outback V would suit him fine. anything positive or negative about these boat you owners could share with me? any suggestions would be great. thanks

rod

smokedog2
09-11-2006, 11:00 PM
I like mine search my posts for the important options.

Sd2

Wolf-
09-11-2006, 11:00 PM
I'm coming from an 88 Bayliner 19footer 4 cyl w/ points no less.
Bought the Outback DD. Am happy with it. For serious wakeboarding, he will want the vdrive though.

smokedog2
09-11-2006, 11:01 PM
ha wolf - beat ya by 5 whole seconds!:p

BensonWdby
09-11-2006, 11:12 PM
From what I have heard, anything is a better watersports boat than a Bayliner...

Buttafewcoe
09-12-2006, 06:58 AM
:(

EUSTACE
09-12-2006, 10:08 AM
If you are into water sports then an inboard is the only way to go. Either way you go (D-Drive / V-Drive), you will have pros and cons. Generally yes, V-drives are somewhat better for Wakeboarding but you can still produce excellent wakes with a D-dive if you’re willing to sacrifice floor space.

I am having a great experience with my 01’ Outback LS, it just performs flawlessly year after year.

Good Luck, E

Wolf-
09-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Buttafewcoe
Wolf-
I came from an '86 Bayliner 1950CX 4cyl, w/ points (2.3 Volvo). I was happy wid me lil sterndrive, but now that I'm inboard, don't think I want another sterndrive. I do miss the gas milage, tho
B

Understand the fuel usage. I'm carrying down an extra 10 gallons with me on Saturday. If we pull tubers, we run 6gph with a boat load of people.

rodltg2
09-12-2006, 06:58 PM
my question is more geared towards positves and negatives about moombas. my friend already know he wants vdrive. i would like to know , aside from price , what things influenced you to buy a moomba verses other brands?

iaonbb
09-13-2006, 11:44 AM
price, CUSTOMER SERVICE..and of course, all the cool folks on this board :p

qb12
09-13-2006, 11:54 AM
rod, don't you think your on the wrong website. you generally hang out at mc's site and you own a bu.

in regards to yor question, the moomba line has really come a long long way in the last 5 or so years. their quality is up to par with all the others, just not as much bling factor.

what influenced, $$$$, quality and of course" customer service "

i owned a 02 outback and put over a 100 hrs a year and had to do nothing except the normal maintance. i know own the other brand that skier's choice produces and have over 120 hrs in one year and guess what. no problem.

sailing217
09-20-2006, 10:20 AM
What influenced buying?

You're right that price is number one.
Sounds like an Outback V is a perfect entry level V-drive for him.

I'm a person that belives to buy something that you won't grow out of, so if it's a pain to add it later, get it optioned on the boat from the dealer. Maybe that's the next question you should ask---what options are costly to add in the future.

I'm going to be buying boat show time, my first boat period. Here's what swayed me to buy Moomba:

Price is number one. I really believe that Moomba is generally the same as MC, Supra, Tige just 10-20k cheaper.
Dealer Service. I've been in touch with my local dealer and they have been great so far. Not pushy, and very accomadating with test drives at my leisure, and things like seeing if it'll fit in my garage (which it doesn't so I've stepped up to the LSV) . I've searched the web to get real reviews/options on the dealership and they are top notch, even going out on the maiden voyage with you to make sure you know how to use all the boat options and if there needs to be any tweeks.---wonder if your friends' Bayliner Salesman went out with a mechanic for the first run???
If there really is no, or not much, difference in the way the hall is made/shaped, most comp WB boats use Indmar EFI, Options are the same, then it comes down to price and the dealer. Now just hope that the dealer in your area is as good as ours.