PDA

View Full Version : Moomba in Salt Water

kheeter
09-11-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm thinking of buying an '03-'04 Moomba and plan to keep it an use in the salt. I live in Seattle and plan on using it every weekend from Memorial Day to Labor Day. If I pull it out of the water every other weekend and flush the engine wash it down, will it help or am I making a poor choice? Anyone else play in the salt with their Moomba?

carsondoc
09-11-2006, 08:11 PM
If I was doing what your planning, I would definitely get a closed fresh water cooling system installed. I would also talk with a local boat guy and get some advice.

I live in an area where there are some salt water lakes and everyone who runs on one says it beats the hell out of your boat. Besides the usual salt water corrosion issues they have mentioned salt build-up in the exhaust system and everywhere else salt water contacts the boat.

marchina
09-12-2006, 03:14 AM
Man,

DON'T, i own a moomba lsv with fresh cooling system, while i used at the sea (sea of cortez) was fine, now i live far from the sea, i left the boat stored 2 months, now i see corrotion all over, from the trailer trhu the engine, it dosen't matter the huge ammount of wd-40 i sprayed on it, all the anti-salt i flush it. salt water is the worse enemy ever.

I heard mastercraft has some salt water model, don't belive them there is not such thing. If you really want a boat for salt water buy the correct trailer, never left it overnight at dock, use anti-salt products, and don't let skiers get in wet.

best regards

Simon

deepcove
09-26-2006, 11:45 PM
I use mine exclusively in salt in Vancouver, Canada. I have a flush kit, closed cooling, zincs and pull it out of the salt every 10 days for a good wash. Also I flush every time I get back to my dock. Do your self a favour and get a galvanized trailer....the trailer is the item that takes the worst beating.