PDA

View Full Version : Reason for witerizing

stx.dead.I
12-05-2017, 09:55 PM
Its finally getting time to winterize the boat. I have an 03 mobius lsv and am trying to figure out why i need to winterize it.

If i understand correctly, winterizing is to get the water out of the engine so it doesnt crack somethibg when it freezes. But its not like there isnt any room for the water to expand when it freezes???

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

parrothd
12-05-2017, 10:10 PM
Its finally getting time to winterize the boat. I have an 03 mobius lsv and am trying to figure out why i need to winterize it.

If i understand correctly, winterizing is to get the water out of the engine so it doesnt crack somethibg when it freezes. But its not like there isnt any room for the water to expand when it freezes???

That depends on where the water is... Lol

zabooda
12-05-2017, 10:14 PM
Go without and see how it goes. If there is a problem, then you will know what to winterize.

MLA
12-05-2017, 10:47 PM
If your climate is such that you will experience freezing temps, you need to winterize, as in protect the engine systems from freezing. Along with that, there is often some end of season or regular maintenance items that need to be done.

so first and foremost, protect the engine from freezing temps if needed. Blocks do and will freeze. 2nd, regular hourly service if the boat will stay in use.

russellsmojo
12-05-2017, 10:48 PM
I don’t think there is any debate needed on water freezing motor parts. Therefore, if you live in an area that has temps that get below freezing then no debate needed about winterizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stx.dead.I
12-05-2017, 10:54 PM
I don’t think there is any debate needed on water freezing motor parts. Therefore, if you live in an area that has temps that get below freezing then no debate needed about winterizing.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAnd water freezing motor parts means what? What damages the motor exactly? Is it cracking parts due to the pressure created by the freezing water or is it somethung else?

parrothd
12-05-2017, 11:58 PM
And water freezing motor parts means what? What damages the motor exactly? Is it cracking parts due to the pressure created by the freezing water or is it somethung else?

Water expands when it freezes, it can crack the engine block. Aka you need a need engine.

Stazi
12-06-2017, 08:50 AM
Yeah we all winterize because we are bored and don't have anything else to do......[emoji849]
The expansion force of freezing water can and will crack your engine block if you don't winterize and your area where your boat is gets below 0°C/32°F. Seeing as you apparently have no idea what winterizing is or how to do it, I seriously suggest you take it to a professional and have them do it before you screw something up and end up having to drop $5000 on replacing your entire engine.
Here in Michigan we have had a few days below zero right now and we will not be above zero for the next two weeks, so if anyone in this area has not winterized their motor, then they are going to be shit out of luck!

russellsmojo
12-06-2017, 09:23 AM
And water freezing motor parts means what? What damages the motor exactly? Is it cracking parts due to the pressure created by the freezing water or is it somethung else?

Yes. Cracking. Yes.

Cars have antifreeze or they would do same thing.

VA LSV
12-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Engine- 1/4" NPT plug on each side of the block
Manifolds - Disconnect hose connecting both sides
V-drive - Two 1/4" NPT plugs
Ballast - Blow out lines
Heater (if installed) - Blow out lines

There is info for winterizing info under How To Information.

Darter
12-06-2017, 11:35 AM
What's your location? I would think pretty much anywhere north of the FL panhandle and you're in need of winterizing. Even south of there it's not completely out of the question to get a cold snap for a few days.

Water freezing will crack an iron block. Water doesn't move anywhere when it expands. It expands in place.

You'll have no engine, no boat, and a huge bill for a few months next season if you skip it.

Hopefully by now the point has been made. :)

sandm
12-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Seeing as you apparently have no idea what winterizing is or how to do it, I seriously suggest you take it to a professional and have them do it before you screw something up and end up having to drop $5000 on replacing your entire engine.

this :)

IMO, I lived in the frozen tundra of green bay for 4 years and had I stored the boat in the winter in the garage it never dropped below 50deg so there was no need to do it, but since you never know when that garage door will fail and the repairman is 2 days out or you get a stellar job transfer and have to move it in january, not doing it is gambling. I do know guys in boise that boat all winter and don't winterize a v8 block-ed boat but they also store in heated garages. guys on here in texas areas that when it looks to drop below 35 they don't drain but rather use a shoplight for heat.
again, it's all gambling.
I think the point is while you drain the water most will change filter/fluids and this gives your boat a fresh start for the upcoming season. basic engine maintenance and winterization is a good time to do it all.

dakota4ce
12-06-2017, 02:57 PM
Kinda surprised this discussion has gone this far. I hear of a cracked block story every year from my boat mechanic buddy. Unbelievably people manage to not get it done.