PDA

View Full Version : Moomba Max ballast question.

Boonejeepin
12-04-2017, 10:01 PM
I know the Max is advertised to have 3000lbs of factory ballast but how is that distributed around the boat?

I know the rear has 2 fat sacs and I can see a fat sac through a small cutout under the floor toward the middle of the boat. It is right in front of the access panel for the t-handle center drain plug.

Is there a front tank? How much do the bags hold?

I don’t think it matters but I have AutoFlow 2.0, Autowake, and the G6 ballast pump system (6 pumps).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flynnva
12-04-2017, 10:48 PM
900lbs in each rear, 700lbs in center and 500lbs in the bow. Bow and center are plumbed together with 2 pumps and the rear bags are plumbed with 2 pumps each.

Boonejeepin
12-04-2017, 10:58 PM
900lbs in each rear, 700lbs in center and 500lbs in the bow. Bow and center are plumbed together with 2 pumps and the rear bags are plumbed with 2 pumps each.

Thank you very much. Is the bow ballast a tank? From what I saw the center is a fat sac.

flynnva
12-04-2017, 11:07 PM
I have a Mojo on order and from what my dealer said, the bow is a sac and the center is a tank. The mojo has 3000lbs stock ballast also and I was told it's divided up the same way. Great looking boat, hope you enjoy it.

jmvotto
12-05-2017, 09:42 AM
oh boy, bet she can take another two to three k:o

DFTR Josh
12-05-2017, 09:51 AM
Thank you very much. Is the bow ballast a tank? From what I saw the center is a fat sac.
I'm not 100% but with the front ballast sub floor does that mean it's now hard tanks up there?

Boonejeepin
12-05-2017, 09:53 AM
I'm not 100% but with the front ballast sub floor does that mean it's now hard tanks up there?

I can actually see a bag under the floor in the center. Not sure about the bow.

DFTR Josh
12-05-2017, 11:29 AM
I can actually see a bag under the floor in the center. Not sure about the bow.
Interesting! I'm going to have to take a close look at the local dealer.

Boonejeepin
12-05-2017, 11:30 AM
Interesting! I'm going to have to take a close look at the local dealer.

Get down and look forward in the center drain cover area.

trayson
12-05-2017, 12:34 PM
I sent a PM to Matt at Skier's Choice who is the product development manager. Hopefully he'll respond here and answer your questions. :-)

(I'm curious too).

13mobiusLSV
12-05-2017, 12:38 PM
I thought each rear had 1000lb bag plus a 1000lb hard center locker tank with the bow unused.

Boonejeepin
12-05-2017, 12:59 PM
I thought each rear had 1000lb bag plus a 1000lb hard center locker tank with the bow unused.

It makes sense that there is a center bag and bow hard tank. I can see the center bag under the floor.

13mobiusLSV
12-05-2017, 01:06 PM
It makes sense that there is a center bag and bow hard tank. I can see the center bag under the floor.

I remember Matt kept making comments in regards to why the max had so much potential because of all the available, unused storage if you really wanted to slam it.

trayson
12-05-2017, 01:13 PM
I found the thread where Matt talked about the ballast in the Max:

We have obviously been looking at the subfloor ballast for a while. We know that is a high value to our customers and the new Supra that will be released soon has a true subfloor ballast. You haven't seen this yet, but the new Max also has optional side storage bins that can be added to the sundeck compartments that basically make them subfloor ballast. Not quite the same, but honestly I think it is a design that most will really appreciate as you can still get to the bags if you need to. Hopefully we will have pics of that soon. As some have mentioned, until you see the Max, you will not appreciate how deep it is. The overall depth from deck to the hull bottom is about 44 inches on each side. Each rear bag holds 1000lbs. These side storage tubs are almost 16 inches deep and they can hold a LOT of lifejackets, ropes, bumpers, etc. I think once you see this, you will really like it.

In addition, the Max also has a 1000lb front bag that is completely under the front floor. There is no u-shaped bag in the front bow storage and that really opens up more clean storage up there as well. Hope you like it.

And when I talked to the Moomba factory rep that took the Max to the Polar Bear, he told me that he put 600's under each seat piggybacked to the rear bags. 600 because of length. so like a 20x20x40 would be my guess. 4200 pounds of water ballast wouldn't suck.

dakota4ce
12-05-2017, 01:14 PM
Some custom bags could get bananas in the Max. Somebody has to do this.

This thing has king of the hill potential.

Boonejeepin
12-05-2017, 01:15 PM
Some custom bags could get bananas in the Max. Somebody has to do this.

Once I break it in and play with it I will do custom bags as needed.

Boonejeepin
12-05-2017, 01:17 PM
You can see the bag in the center.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171205/28ea713c7aa59a1971a1dcdbe89dcb7a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171205/9920a0fbc71d16b492ff4705fdde0331.jpg

trayson
12-05-2017, 01:18 PM
Keep in mind that when I was talking with the Moomba factory rep at Evening with the Stars, he said that just putting ridiculous weight in the rear wouldn't be optimal, that distributing the extra weight throughout the boat would be best. I really like the idea of midship ballast. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

smorris7
12-05-2017, 01:23 PM
Looked at an SL this past weekend and all subfloor ballast are bags not hard tanks. I was told that they were getting away from hard tank use. To many leak issues. Each area had a small access panel where the bags could be removed if the ever needed to be,

dakota4ce
12-05-2017, 01:31 PM
Looked at an SL this past weekend and all subfloor ballast are bags not hard tanks. I was told that they were getting away from hard tank use. To many leak issues. Each area had a small access panel where the bags could be removed if the ever needed to be,

I have not seen one, but it sounded like from someone else the subfloor isn’t a breathtaking placement under the floor, that it actually comes at a very significant reduction in locker depth.

Did this stick out to you?

Boonejeepin
12-05-2017, 01:36 PM
I have not seen one, but it sounded like from someone else the subfloor isn’t a breathtaking placement under the floor, that it actually comes at a very significant reduction in locker depth.

Seems like the locker depth in the bow and under the observers dash is used by a raised floor for the ballast but the top deck is pretty tall and there is still ample space.

smorris7
12-05-2017, 02:18 PM

Somewhat, certainty a reduction in the depth of lockers. They basically raised the flooring. But, there is ALOT of free storage everywhere! Plus I love the cooler in the floor area. You can stick 3 or 4 hundred pounds of lead in there Plus the cooler on top of it! 1st thing that entered my mind.

dakota4ce
12-05-2017, 02:26 PM
Awesome! Wonder what the gas tank looks like around that cooler.

Definitely eyeing this boat when I send he SE packin’

smorris7
12-05-2017, 05:05 PM
Awesome! Wonder what the gas tank looks like around that cooler.

Definitely eyeing this boat when I send he SE packin’

Wait until they roll out the 19 SE. You will forget about the little SL. Completely redesigned..

dakota4ce
12-05-2017, 05:15 PM
Won’t be able to buy my patented holdover boat till Aug of ‘20 though! 2.5 summers more in same boat??!! [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

That would be 500 or so hours on this one by then. Maybe just a little pit stop in an SL after next summer? The SE would be at 270-300 or so hours.

Or a fill-in Max?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dakota4ce
12-05-2017, 05:21 PM
Wait until they roll out the 19 SE. You will forget about the little SL. Completely redesigned..

Are you an insider? I like the sounds of this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
12-07-2017, 12:28 AM
Are you an insider? I like the sounds of this.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkTo keep the models fresh looking and active, SC has the life cycle of 3-4 years.

Look at the most recent models:
SA was 2013-14-15. Then the new SA design was in 2016.
SC was 2014-15-16. Then the SR came out.
SG was 2015-16-17. Then th SL came out.
SE was 2015-16-17-18. In 2014 the largest boat model was the 242. The SE is probably the next to get a refresh.
SR will also be due soon. 2017-18

Back in 2015 the new SG an SE both came out in the same year.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

dakota4ce
12-07-2017, 01:36 AM
To keep the models fresh looking and active, SC has the life cycle of 3-4 years.

Look at the most recent models:
SA was 2013-14-15. Then the new SA design was in 2016.
SC was 2014-15-16. Then the SR came out.
SG was 2015-16-17. Then th SL came out.
SE was 2015-16-17-18. In 2014 the largest boat model was the 242. The SE is probably the next to get a refresh.
SR will also be due soon. 2017-18

Back in 2015 the new SG an SE both came out in the same year.

Makes total sense! How about a 26’ SE. Capacity 20. 5500# subfloor ballast. Maybe a massage chair at helm? I don’t want to know the MSRP though.

trayson
12-07-2017, 02:06 AM
Makes total sense! How about a 26’ SE. Capacity 20. 5500# subfloor ballast. Maybe a massage chair at helm? I don’t want to know the MSRP though.

don't forget the dual side thrusters! Oh wait, Pavati has already done that.

smorris7
12-07-2017, 07:59 AM
don't forget the dual side thrusters! Oh wait, Pavati has already done that.

Nautique also for 18.

trayson
12-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Nautique also for 18.

Nautique has a rear one.

Pavati did front and rear.

dusty2221
12-07-2017, 11:35 AM

Exactly the reason we held on an order this year. Holding out for the redesign.....and can't wait.

smorris7
12-07-2017, 11:37 AM
Nautique has a rear one.

Pavati did front and rear.

Heck, pontoon boats have had it for years. Not rocket science and ridiculous for inboards.

MJHSupra
12-07-2017, 01:54 PM
Exactly the reason we held on an order this year. Holding out for the redesign.....and can't wait.

I agree. It should be a great boat.

goose
12-08-2017, 02:17 PM
Well, I hate to change the interesting discussions about bow and stern thrusters, but if anyone is still interested, the Max definitely has all bags and as stated earlier, each rear bag is about 1000lbs and the front is a bag (not a tank) and it also holds about 1000lbs.

I may have seen where people drilled holes in the divider panels and piggy backed 750lb sacks in the storage areas in the cockpit area. These piggy backed bags connected to the rear bags and allowed you to fill these bags with the current plumbing, making a total of 4500lbs ballast. Of course, we would warn you to never exceed your coast guard capacity, but if you were only running a few passengers, then you should be good to go.

This is another area where the new draft sensor can help you out. When the draft sensor maxes out on the display, the system thinks you have reached max capacity. But until you have a total of 5500lbs of ballast,passengers,gear, you shouldn't see that draft sensor maxed out. But with the extra weight, you will see an amazing wave or wake. Also, as mentioned before, by adding this additional ballast to the middle of the boat, it displaces the whole boat still allowing AutoWake to easily maintain the proper pitch and roll to maximize all displacement. By adding weight to only the rear or the front, it makes it much harder for AutoWake to maintain the proper pitch or roll.

Hope that helps.

Boonejeepin
12-08-2017, 02:22 PM
Well, I hate to change the interesting discussions about bow and stern thrusters, but if anyone is still interested, the Max definitely has all bags and as stated earlier, each rear bag is about 1000lbs and the front is a bag (not a tank) and it also holds about 1000lbs.

I may have seen where people drilled holes in the divider panels and piggy backed 750lb sacks in the storage areas in the cockpit area. These piggy backed bags connected to the rear bags and allowed you to fill these bags with the current plumbing, making a total of 4500lbs ballast. Of course, we would warn you to never exceed your coast guard capacity, but if you were only running a few passengers, then you should be good to go.

This is another area where the new draft sensor can help you out. When the draft sensor maxes out on the display, the system thinks you have reached max capacity. But until you have a total of 5500lbs of ballast,passengers,gear, you shouldn't see that draft sensor maxed out. But with the extra weight, you will see an amazing wave or wake. Also, as mentioned before, by adding this additional ballast to the middle of the boat, it displaces the whole boat still allowing AutoWake to easily maintain the proper pitch and roll to maximize all displacement. By adding weight to only the rear or the front, it makes it much harder for AutoWake to maintain the proper pitch or roll.

Hope that helps.

Great answer. Thank you!

Now, about the bow and stern thrusters...... :)

trayson
12-08-2017, 04:54 PM
Darn it Goose, your reply makes me want a Max more and more... I think I'm still a year or two out though. *sigh*
But at least Russ can get it all dialed in so I can follow his lead when I get mine eventually.

When the draft sensor maxes out on the display, the system thinks you have reached max capacity. But until you have a total of 5500lbs of ballast,passengers,gear, you shouldn't see that draft sensor maxed out. But with the extra weight, you will see an amazing wave or wake..

Russ, I think this sounds like a challenge for ya!!!!!

DFTR Josh
12-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Darn it Goose, your reply makes me want a Max more and more... I think I'm still a year or two out though. *sigh*
But at least Russ can get it all dialed in so I can follow his lead when I get mine eventually.
I'm going to have to agree here!

Boonejeepin
12-10-2017, 12:41 AM

I have 5 break in hours out of the way. Will go heavy soon.

DFTR Josh
12-10-2017, 01:16 PM
This thread had me thinking of the wakeboard wake a lot also. Out of the box it seems it might be a little heavy in the rear for a decent shaped wake and to even plane out. I'm pretty excited to play with this a little and I think at minimum 500 up in the nose, I might shoot to 700 ish to start. Ideas?

Boonejeepin
12-10-2017, 01:18 PM
This thread had me thinking of the wakeboard wake a lot also. Out of the box it seems it might be a little heavy in the rear for a decent shaped wake and to even plane out. I'm pretty excited to play with this a little and I think at minimum 500 up in the nose, I might shoot to 700 ish to start. Ideas?

The wakeboard wake is clean on both sides even at slow speeds. Haven’t rode it yet to comment on how it actually performs.

spencerwm
12-10-2017, 01:21 PM

Hope that helps.

Happy Sunday. This comment is 100% correct. There is no bow ballast option in the Max for 2018. The three giant 1000 lb. bags do well. I am working on custom WakeMAKERS under seat bags that will connect to the factory rear bags. You will need to cut a couple holes in the divider between the rear locker and under seat area. I will find out the best location and make a little cut template for it. I am also going to see if a different size bag in the rear lockers is worth it.

This is one boat that you should order with the 6 ballast pumps due to its capacity and autowake. I am very excited to get the Max dialed. It is an awesome boat that in my opinion competes with those twice the price. That is still hard for me to wrap my wind around. HAHA. PM me if any of you guys take delivery of a new Max soon. I would love to get some bags in the boat for testing. Have a great day.

Boonejeepin
12-10-2017, 01:28 PM
Happy Sunday. This comment is 100% correct. There is no bow ballast option in the Max for 2018. The three giant 1000 lb. bags do well. I am working on custom WakeMAKERS under seat bags that will connect to the factory rear bags. You will need to cut a couple holes in the divider between the rear locker and under seat area. I will find out the best location and make a little cut template for it. I am also going to see if a different size bag in the rear lockers is worth it.

This is one boat that you should order with the 6 ballast pumps due to its capacity and autowake. I am very excited to get the Max dialed. It is an awesome boat that in my opinion competes with those twice the price. That is still hard for me to wrap my wind around. HAHA. PM me if any of you guys take delivery of a new Max soon. I would love to get some bags in the boat for testing. Have a great day.

PM sent. My Max is already in operation. Gotta love the 80 degree SoCal winters.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171210/170ce5e51f4bd4258fc1e61256560dc2.jpg

MJHSupra
12-11-2017, 12:51 AM

What do you think you can put in the back of those lockers - size wise?

Wouldn't you need more in the front to offset that weight?

Boonejeepin
12-11-2017, 12:39 PM
What do you think you can put in the back of those lockers - size wise?

Wouldn't you need more in the front to offset that weight?

Very rough dimensions and does not account for shape of the space.

43 inches long (has a divider at the top that drops this to 35 inches

27 inches wide at the top (hull tapers in as it moves down)

41 inches deep

jmvotto
12-11-2017, 01:16 PM
So three dead bodies in each locker :o

MJHSupra
12-11-2017, 01:34 PM
That’s what I’m thinking, lots of bodies.

Should be interesting to see what WakeMAKERS come up with.

goose
12-11-2017, 05:25 PM
Hey guys. I would recommend spending the majority of the time getting the middle bags correct. You could probably add a few hundred pounds to the rear bags, but if you make the rear bags any bigger, then you will not be able to use the current drop in trays that go over the factory rear bags. Granted, you might not want to use the rear drop in trays, but after using the boat quite a bit, I HIGHLY recommend the drop in trays. It is hard to visualize just how deep those rear storage compartments are. IF you actually put anything into those compartments like a jacket or something, and then drain the ballast, you physically have to get in the rear compartment to get it. You can NOT lean over and actually reach the bottom and this is where those drop in trays really come in handy. The trays are deep enough to hold all the life jackets, ropes, buoys you would need and you can still access them when the ballast is full or empty. Again, I have used other boats with "subfloor" ballast, but even in those, getting items out of the rear storage is NOT easy, especially if you don't have good dividers in them.

One thing you will need in comparison to the current factory rear bags is an outlet (preferably) 2 on the front of the rear bag to then piggy back into preferably 2 inputs on the middle bag. You can get away with just 1 fitting between the bags, but if you have the 6 pumps, the 2 outlets in the back bag will drain the rear bag before the middle bag can fully drain into the rear bag. As an fyi, I am hoping we change this mid year or in 2019, but just giving you a heads up IF you decided to customize your ballast. Again, with 4500lbs of ballast and 4 or 5 passengers in the boat, I think you will be blown away with the performance.

Boonejeepin
12-11-2017, 05:31 PM
Hey guys. I would recommend spending the majority of the time getting the middle bags correct. You could probably add a few hundred pounds to the rear bags, but if you make the rear bags any bigger, then you will not be able to use the current drop in trays that go over the factory rear bags. Granted, you might not want to use the rear drop in trays, but after using the boat quite a bit, I HIGHLY recommend the drop in trays. It is hard to visualize just how deep those rear storage compartments are. IF you actually put anything into those compartments like a jacket or something, and then drain the ballast, you physically have to get in the rear compartment to get it. You can NOT lean over and actually reach the bottom and this is where those drop in trays really come in handy. The trays are deep enough to hold all the life jackets, ropes, buoys you would need and you can still access them when the ballast is full or empty. Again, I have used other boats with "subfloor" ballast, but even in those, getting items out of the rear storage is NOT easy, especially if you don't have good dividers in them.

One thing you will need in comparison to the current factory rear bags is an outlet (preferably) 2 on the front of the rear bag to then piggy back into preferably 2 inputs on the middle bag. You can get away with just 1 fitting between the bags, but if you have the 6 pumps, the 2 outlets in the back bag will drain the rear bag before the middle bag can fully drain into the rear bag. As an fyi, I am hoping we change this mid year or in 2019, but just giving you a heads up IF you decided to customize your ballast. Again, with 4500lbs of ballast and 4 or 5 passengers in the boat, I think you will be blown away with the performance.

So can’t wait to try this!!!!

trayson
12-11-2017, 05:38 PM

So are you saying that if you want to piggyback some mid-under seat ballast into the rear bags, that it'd be best to get new custom rear bags with more ports so that the mid bags have the ability to flow into the rear bags? Because the stock rear bags aren't gonna have those extra ports for piggybacking currently?

goose
12-11-2017, 05:47 PM
That is what I am unofficially saying...

trayson
12-11-2017, 06:06 PM
That is what I am unofficially saying...

I officially appreciate the unofficial insight!

Boonejeepin
12-11-2017, 06:44 PM
So are you saying that if you want to piggyback some mid-under seat ballast into the rear bags, that it'd be best to get new custom rear bags with more ports so that the mid bags have the ability to flow into the rear bags? Because the stock rear bags aren't gonna have those extra ports for piggybacking currently?

That’s how I read it and Incan confirm that there are not any extra ports in the rear bags now.

From the limited time on the water I can see what Goose. The boat already sits low in the rear at surf speed. I think adding the weight further forward would be a really good thing.

rdlangston13
12-14-2017, 01:15 AM

I still think ya'll need to make drop in trays for the Mojo that fit over the surf max bags. I know they wont be as deep as the max but 3 trays 3" deep will hold all my ropes, my box anchor, my inflatable bumpers and possibly 1-2 life jackets still. The will basically empty all the area under my cabin seats for ballast bags. Bulk of the life jackets reside under the bow filler cushion. Please oh pretty please!

russellsmojo
12-14-2017, 11:26 AM
Amen David! I was recently in a buddies Malibu and those trays were awesome. I also noticed small holes on back of rear deck cushions so they could drain. Another winner idea.

DFTR Josh
12-14-2017, 12:50 PM
I still think ya'll need to make drop in trays for the Mojo that fit over the surf max bags. I know they wont be as deep as the max but 3 trays 3" deep will hold all my ropes, my box anchor, my inflatable bumpers and possibly 1-2 life jackets still. The will basically empty all the area under my cabin seats for ballast bags. Bulk of the life jackets reside under the bow filler cushion. Please oh pretty please!
Are these stock on the MAX? During my build I didn't see a place to add trays...

Boonejeepin
12-14-2017, 12:57 PM
Are these stock on the MAX? During my build I didn't see a place to add trays...

I am curious as well. My Max only has the drop in tray over the engine but nothing in the rear lockers.

DFTR Josh
12-14-2017, 02:15 PM
I am curious as well. My Max only has the drop in tray over the engine but nothing in the rear lockers.
I could live with just a warming tray over the engine, having locker trays would be perfect for ropes and wet stuff.

trayson
12-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Matt (goose) had said they were optional. but I agree, no place to order that option that I saw?

Well...currently, the only model with the over engine tray is the Max. The center sundeck tray is standard and the sides are optional. .

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26106&d=1502459030

goose
12-14-2017, 03:36 PM
Hey guys. It appears the side storage trays are NOT on the online configurator, but they are on Dealers Circle which is where the dealers physically order the boats. I will see what I can do about adding to the online boat builder. As to the other models, we are looking to see where we can add trays. As you know, on many models there really isn't much depth to add a tray, but we will continue to look into it. Like I said, I used the side trays and center trays most of the season. I am a huge fan and hopefully we will continue to do more in this direction in years to come...

Boonejeepin
12-14-2017, 04:38 PM
Goose may advise against it but I cut some access holes in the divider panels so I can reach the release latches without removing the center tray. The center tray does not come out easily without removing an engine cover strut. This makes it quick and easy to get to the drain plugs/oil filter, and dipstick.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171214/5fe3e86e17db4b145a444e6492833e6c.jpg
The center tray is deep enough to store my swivel board racks plus ropes and jackets. I feel that having the racks out of the elements will help to preserve the rubber.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171214/94edb9fd6fb920ce0f5fb6e3a3bbdd34.jpg

rdlangston13
12-14-2017, 05:08 PM
Hey guys. It appears the side storage trays are NOT on the online configurator, but they are on Dealers Circle which is where the dealers physically order the boats. I will see what I can do about adding to the online boat builder. As to the other models, we are looking to see where we can add trays. As you know, on many models there really isn't much depth to add a tray, but we will continue to look into it. Like I said, I used the side trays and center trays most of the season. I am a huge fan and hopefully we will continue to do more in this direction in years to come...

Even at like 3-4" deep it would still clear out everything i have under my seats in the cabin and be worth every penny. I plan to take some measurements and look into getting some 3D printed but it would be way better for SC to do the work for me and I can just write a check!

Boonejeepin
01-06-2018, 12:18 AM
Following the urban legend that Goose mentioned. Going the route of piggybacking ballast bags under the side seats. Went with some slightly larger rear bags from WakeMAKERS with available front ports to allow for connecting the rear locker and under seat ballast bags. I’ll report back after a test run(hopefully this weekend).

Will have about 4660 in water weight and around 750lbs of available lead to move around. Net 5410lbs.

Fairly simple upgrade with a couple of 2” holes in the divider panels between the lockers and the under seat areas that are recessed down to the hull. I also had to reroute the line from one of the Jabsco pumps on each side to accommodate for the narrower placement of the dual fill/drain ports on the rear of the locker bags from WakeMAKERS.

I used a Y connector to connect the vent from the new under seat bag to the existing rear bag vent thru the side of the hull. Hopefully this works out OK. Also adjusted the ballast timers to a best guess time. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180106/c17eb8242a4abec7188eae219dd6eca0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180106/65c79b9046f37b770845dd62d23bba6a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180106/ef3372e970c9b36103ab732d592241b8.jpg

Boonejeepin
01-06-2018, 12:25 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180106/709651102f001bfd98e769fca38c7757.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180106/79edc7b00993a9f7071769ef7d15ce8c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180106/8db0e4d43ac8789bd655ace6cc7f3a98.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180106/ead50ee7499a1f0e518b59e8abf45bc8.jpg

Boonejeepin
01-06-2018, 12:26 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180106/7fb0cc2fb73172a8c541926ee803bece.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180106/1ac97d75b1e8579f3442af0e86d925cb.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180106/86ae0e823343ce333d376c5a1b309dcd.jpg

snowking
01-06-2018, 07:49 AM
Will the trays out a max fit an 18 mojo

DFTR Josh
01-06-2018, 10:01 AM
That's some serious weight! Can't wait to see the end result.

MJHSupra
01-06-2018, 11:51 PM
That is some weight!! I will be waiting for the pics.

DFTR Josh
01-07-2018, 07:04 PM
(hopefully this weekend).
You get that MAX out of what... Let's see some results :D

Boonejeepin
01-08-2018, 12:11 AM
I’ll post more later including some videos but the additional weight made the wave come alive. Did not ride goofy or spend any time wakeboarding.

The new setup worked great. Filled and drained with no problem. I adjusted the ballast timers and Autowake seemed to work it’s magic. I did not really have time to play with the setup and try to fine tune it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180108/cc34bb85061f302ce8ef46bdd0a7449b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180108/e6cda9d41617de3ce046ff5bde00f001.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180108/3f43d9b7c89190504e964e403f091a7c.jpg

DFTR Josh
01-08-2018, 12:19 AM
SWEET! Can't wait to see the rest. The rollers look nasty in your regular surf pic.

Boonejeepin
01-08-2018, 01:53 AM
https://youtu.be/KN7zveBdcE4

DFTR Josh
01-08-2018, 02:01 AM
https://youtu.be/KN7zveBdcE4
Looks like tons of push and no problem getting way back and recovering. NICE!

kaneboats
01-08-2018, 11:29 AM
Schweeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dakota4ce
01-08-2018, 11:34 AM
Looks sweet! Where are you guys surfing?

Boonejeepin
01-08-2018, 12:01 PM
Looks sweet! Where are you guys surfing?

We were on Lake Perris in Perris, CA. The boat is home for the winter and then going back to Lake Mead.

dakota4ce
01-08-2018, 12:09 PM
I’ve always wondered what part of the country and in what lakes you can truly boat year around without too much of a harsh environment.

Those of us from the Midwest can easily travel to the desert southwest, like the Phoenix area. But I was wondering if a boating life is possible around there as a winter tourist.

wolfeman131
01-08-2018, 02:19 PM
We were on Lake Perris in Perris, CA.

We've surfed that lake w/ Jeff from Soulcraft. Stayed tucked up against that rock wall on the southwest side of the lake. It was tough to keep away the lake lice away, but we had a great time!

Boonejeepin
01-08-2018, 03:00 PM
We've surfed that lake w/ Jeff from Soulcraft. Stayed tucked up against that rock wall on the southwest side of the lake. It was tough to keep away the lake lice away, but we had a great time!

It’s much better during the off season. So much less traffic.

trayson
01-11-2018, 03:16 PM
Following the urban legend that Goose mentioned. Going the route of piggybacking ballast bags under the side seats. Went with some slightly larger rear bags from WakeMAKERS with available front ports to allow for connecting the rear locker and under seat ballast bags. I’ll report back after a test run(hopefully this weekend).

Will have about 4660 in water weight and around 750lbs of available lead to move around. Net 5410lbs.

Fairly simple upgrade with a couple of 2” holes in the divider panels between the lockers and the under seat areas that are recessed down to the hull. I also had to reroute the line from one of the Jabsco pumps on each side to accommodate for the narrower placement of the dual fill/drain ports on the rear of the locker bags from WakeMAKERS.

I used a Y connector to connect the vent from the new under seat bag to the existing rear bag vent thru the side of the hull. Hopefully this works out OK. Also adjusted the ballast timers to a best guess time.

So was it necessary to replace the rear bags to accommodate the piggybacking? (i.e. did the stock rear bags not have enough ports to facilitate the connections?)

Also, what bags did you go with for the underseat bags?

Where did you end up putting your lead?

Boonejeepin
01-15-2018, 11:22 PM
So was it necessary to replace the rear bags to accommodate the piggybacking? (i.e. did the stock rear bags not have enough ports to facilitate the connections?)

Also, what bags did you go with for the underseat bags?

Where did you end up putting your lead?

Replacing the rear bags was necessary to get the front ports at the bottom of the bags to send the water forward to the underseat bags. I also moved up to 1280 and there is room for so much more in the locker but not sure it would be needed. I used the WakeMAKERS 50Lx25Wx25H bags.

The underseat bags are 550lbs each. WakeMAKERS 45Lx20Wx15H. Fits really well in my opinion.

Both WakeMAKERS bag types have1 lower front port, 2 top center ports, and 2 lower rear ports which accommodate the G6 pumps with a little hose extension and a 90 degree Flowrite connector. The second connection works perfect from the factory. This is due to the WakeMAKERS bag having ports installed closer together than the factory bags.

https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemakers-rear-lbs-ballast-bag.html

I am still trying to figure out the lead placement but I have 200 under each side seat and 100 under each bow seat (far back, under the windshield) 50 under each locker bag and 50 in the nose. I am not sure where the lead will end up.

DFTR Josh
01-16-2018, 10:57 AM
Replacing the rear bags was necessary to get the front ports at the bottom of the bags to send the water forward to the underseat bags. I also moved up to 1280 and there is room for so much more in the locker but not sure it would be needed. I used the WakeMAKERS 50Lx25Wx25H bags.
The underseat bags are 550lbs each. WakeMAKERS 45Lx20Wx15H. Fits really well in my opinion.
Both WakeMAKERS bag types have1 lower front port, 2 top center ports, and 2 lower rear ports which accommodate the G6 pumps with a little hose extension and a 90 degree Flowrite connector. The second connection works perfect from the factory. This is due to the WakeMAKERS bag having ports installed closer together than the factory bags.
I am still trying to figure out the lead placement but I have 200 under each side seat and 100 under each bow seat (far back, under the windshield) 50 under each locker bag and 50 in the nose. I am not sure where the lead will end up.
With the G6 what is your ballast fill times set at?

Boonejeepin
01-16-2018, 11:00 AM
With the G6 what is your ballast fill times set at?

Don’t recall exactly but If my memory is correct fill is 8:30. Not too bad for 1830 lbs.

DFTR Josh
01-16-2018, 11:49 AM
Don’t recall exactly but If my memory is correct fill is 8:30. Not too bad for 1830 lbs.
Not bad at all...

BrettLee3232
01-17-2018, 04:24 AM

Very nice setup! Are you ordering the storage trays for the rear lockers? I wonder if they would still fit with the 1280s?

When I was thinking of getting a Max I was contemplating how I was going to do the ballast upgrade. 1) was exactly what you did. 2) is use 1 fill line for each bag. Vent the 550 to the 1280 so it will over flow into that bag & 1 vent with a check valve on the big bag.
I did a similar install with my Mondo (minus dual fill lines, I just T’d off the 1 fill line).

I also se that you bought from SurfRide in Mesa, AZ. How were they to work with? I pulled in a few months back to see if they had any Max’s in stock and spoke with a salesman. I got the car salesman feel from him & he didn’t know much about the Moomba line & basically told me the Max would be “about” the same price as a Mojo lol

Why did you buy from them but boat in Perris & mead?

Ever go to havasu? That’s where we keep our boat.

Boonejeepin
01-17-2018, 07:50 PM
Very nice setup! Are you ordering the storage trays for the rear lockers? I wonder if they would still fit with the 1280s?

When I was thinking of getting a Max I was contemplating how I was going to do the ballast upgrade. 1) was exactly what you did. 2) is use 1 fill line for each bag. Vent the 550 to the 1280 so it will over flow into that bag & 1 vent with a check valve on the big bag.
I did a similar install with my Mondo (minus dual fill lines, I just T’d off the 1 fill line).

I also se that you bought from SurfRide in Mesa, AZ. How were they to work with? I pulled in a few months back to see if they had any Max’s in stock and spoke with a salesman. I got the car salesman feel from him & he didn’t know much about the Moomba line & basically told me the Max would be “about” the same price as a Mojo lol

Why did you buy from them but boat in Perris & mead?

Ever go to havasu? That’s where we keep our boat.

I don’t have plans to order the side trays at this time but may in the future if I find a need for more storage. The center tray holds a lot. I am not sure how deep the side trays are but I suspect there would be plenty of room.

Is Germaine Marine and SurfRide the same people? If so, they were very fair with me on both new price and trade in. They also had the color that I wanted.

I have been to Havasu a few times and may go early this Spring but we normally go to Mead during the summer. With it being a bigger lake it seems like we can find more quiet spots.

BrettLee3232
01-18-2018, 03:05 AM
I don’t have plans to order the side trays at this time but may in the future if I find a need for more storage. The center tray holds a lot. I am not sure how deep the side trays are but I suspect there would be plenty of room.

Is Germaine Marine and SurfRide the same people? If so, they were very fair with me on both new price and trade in. They also had the color that I wanted.

I have been to Havasu a few times and may go early this Spring but we normally go to Mead during the summer. With it being a bigger lake it seems like we can find more quiet spots.

Germaine & SurfRide are the same company. Tigè wouldn’t let them sell Skiers Choice unless they re branded. 🤷🏼*♂️

Here’s a pic of of the side trays....looks to be 15-18” deep. I can’t really tell. Hopefully we see you out in Havasu, would love to see that wave in person!!

I also sent you a PM [emoji1303]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180118/d7ecc584c5371c6cb401bd68dfaa7670.jpg

BrettLee3232
01-23-2018, 03:29 AM

Check your PMs [emoji1303]

trayson
01-26-2018, 06:39 PM
So, I just realized something that I hadn't considered before... When comparing the Max to the XLV, the stock weight of the Max without taking ballast into consideration it already 1k pounds above the XLV! Wow. That's a big difference right out of the box.

Boonejeepin
01-27-2018, 12:09 AM
So, I just realized something that I hadn't considered before... When comparing the Max to the XLV, the stock weight of the Max without taking ballast into consideration it already 1k pounds above the XLV! Wow. That's a big difference right out of the box.

Isn’t that awesome? :)

Broke Pilot
01-27-2018, 12:43 AM
Yea, I forgot about that when I bought the SA. Same thing with my old 24SSV. It's way heavier. I sure hope they bring a max to the Jam that's out on the water!

DFTR Josh
02-09-2018, 03:09 AM
MAX owners and going to be owners this is a public service announcement... I got a chance to shoot the shit with Spencer W. from WakeMakers at the UT Boat show. I have witnessed the first render of a ballast bag upgrade where you wont have to drill through the fiberglass for the under seat extension. There was a little hint of a weight range close to 1600 lbs a side without losing the added trays if you opt for them. Not confirmed but sounds like they are working on a plug and play for the bow also.

BrettLee3232
02-09-2018, 03:27 AM
MAX owners and going to be owners this is a public service announcement... I got a chance to shoot the shit with Spencer W. from WakeMakers at the UT Boat show. I have witnessed the first render of a ballast bag upgrade where you wont have to drill through the fiberglass for the under seat extension. There was a little hint of a weight range close to 1600 lbs a side without losing the added trays if you opt for them. Not confirmed but sounds like they are working on a plug and play for the bow also.

[emoji79][emoji1384]*♂️[emoji1316]

Broke Pilot
02-09-2018, 01:52 PM
Now BrettLee HAS to buy one... lmao

BrettLee3232
02-09-2018, 02:00 PM
Now BrettLee HAS to buy one... lmao

Yep already told my wife why we HAVE to Buy one [emoji1303]

Nebroncrider
08-06-2018, 07:05 PM
Hey Boonejeepin was you using auto Wake? And what was the pitch and roll at also how fast was you running? Also the amp. Sorry for all the questions but just got a Max and am trying to dial it in. Not having a lot of luck yet. But of coarse I want the biggest, pushy wave I can get.

Boonejeepin
08-06-2018, 11:36 PM
Hey Boonejeepin was you using auto Wake? And what was the pitch and roll at also how fast was you running? Also the amp. Sorry for all the questions but just got a Max and am trying to dial it in. Not having a lot of luck yet. But of coarse I want the biggest, pushy wave I can get.

I generally do not use Autowake for surfing. I love it for wakeboarding and cruising.

I don’t use it for surfing as I generally have the bags 100% full, lead in the same place, and generally a small crew (not many people moving around). I like to run at 11-12mph. Running up to ~5800lbs of ballast when the crew is light. I run with the center plate at 0 and the surf tabs at 50 when regular and 60 on the goofy side.

Nebroncrider
08-07-2018, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the info

MrWick
08-13-2018, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the info

IÂ’ve been working on nebroncriderÂ’s Max setup......we have put in about 6 to 8 hours of surfing/dialing in on his Max and I must say itÂ’s been tough to get a good wave.....yesterday we had a small crew of three adults 550 lbs total and 2 kids 120 lbs total. We had all stock ballast full 3000lbs, 200 lbs lead under both rear bag, 200 lbs of lead under each side seat. A 750lb flyhigh under surfside side seat, 400 lb flyhigh under off side side seat, 400lbs of lead in the front of the bow, and 280 lbs of lead that I would move around in the cabin as needed...5600 + of ballast! Goofy wave is fair at best...regular is just ok... we were using autowakeÂ’s pitch and roll of 7.5 on pitch and 5 on the roll. I kept the factory bags full by moving lead around to maintain pitch/roll. We ran 60 to 70 on the surf tab and 15 to 40 on the center tab running at 11.5 to 12.5 mph.
We can make the wave have decent push but the length is short. Maybe 116 to 18 foot to the curl....weight the front to lengthen the wave and the push and height go away....seems like it needs more weight to sink this fat pig deeper in the water.....anyone else been fighting this????? Maybe our expectations were to high....

z28ke
08-13-2018, 08:17 PM
I’ve been trying to dial in the wave on my max all summer and it is a bit finicky. I wasted a lot of time with autowake and am getting a much better and more consistent wave without it now.

An example from a couple weeks ago: I fill up all the ballast (including and extra 400lbs on each side and 400bs of lead in the bow so 4200lbs total with a few adults in the boat). I flip the surf switch to port and set cruise, autowake OFF, and adjust the tabs to get the wave looking GOOD. I jump in and my wife takes over at the helm, the wave is great. Good push and nice length, probably the furthest behind the boat I’ve been able to ride without having to pump like crazy. I start doing some turns and board slides and notice I’m starting to fight more to stay with the boat.

I eventually fall out of it and when my wife comes back around I notice the damn platform is out of the water. Wtf!?!? When she pulled away from me the first time it was completely submerged. I yell for her to stop and I jump in the boat, expecting to see a ballast switch got bumped with a knee or something. Nope, she turned on autowake so the speed display was larger, and my solid wave disappeared right from under my feet.

For your situation I would say put at least 600lbs of lead in the bow. Last weekend with the same ballast setup we had 8 adults in the boat (2 sitting in the bow) and the wave was amazing. My wife now knows where the speed is displayed on the ballast/tab screen!

MrWick
08-13-2018, 11:11 PM
I’ve been trying to dial in the wave on my max all summer and it is a bit finicky. I wasted a lot of time with autowake and am getting a much better and more consistent wave without it now.

An example from a couple weeks ago: I fill up all the ballast (including and extra 400lbs on each side and 400bs of lead in the bow so 4200lbs total with a few adults in the boat). I flip the surf switch to port and set cruise, autowake OFF, and adjust the tabs to get the wave looking GOOD. I jump in and my wife takes over at the helm, the wave is great. Good push and nice length, probably the furthest behind the boat I’ve been able to ride without having to pump like crazy. I start doing some turns and board slides and notice I’m starting to fight more to stay with the boat.

I eventually fall out of it and when my wife comes back around I notice the damn platform is out of the water. Wtf!?!? When she pulled away from me the first time it was completely submerged. I yell for her to stop and I jump in the boat, expecting to see a ballast switch got bumped with a knee or something. Nope, she turned on autowake so the speed display was larger, and my solid wave disappeared right from under my feet.

For your situation I would say put at least 600lbs of lead in the bow. Last weekend with the same ballast setup we had 8 adults in the boat (2 sitting in the bow) and the wave was amazing. My wife now knows where the speed is displayed on the ballast/tab screen!

Good feedback z28ke.....thanks!

Boonejeepin
08-14-2018, 12:12 AM
In my opinion the best wave is with the wake plate at 0 and the surftabs deployed just enough to clean up the wave (45-50 for regular, goofy 50-60).

MrWick
08-14-2018, 08:00 AM
In my opinion the best wave is with the wake plate at 0 and the surftabs deployed just enough to clean up the wave (45-50 for regular, goofy 50-60).

Boonejeepin, how much length does your wave end up with? I can see where those settings would make the wave pushy and pretty tall, but when we tried similar settings, rideable wave length was short. You are running a 600 lb bow sack, right?

z28ke
08-14-2018, 08:01 AM

I completely agree *IF you have enough bow weight. From my experience with only 400 extra lbs of lead in the bow and an extra 800lbs +crew in the rear, I need about 10-15% on the wakeplate to lengthen the pocket (without increasing speed to the point it’s hard to stay with the boat) if I don’t have any adults sitting up front.

Boonejeepin
08-14-2018, 10:00 AM
I completely agree *IF you have enough bow weight. From my experience with only 400 extra lbs of lead in the bow and an extra 800lbs +crew in the rear, I need about 10-15% on the wakeplate to lengthen the pocket (without increasing speed to the point it’s hard to stay with the boat) if I don’t have any adults sitting up front.

True. The Max really wants a ton of weight and naturally digs the rear into the water. It takes quite a bit of bow weight to bring the nose back down.

MrWick
08-18-2018, 11:43 PM
True. The Max really wants a ton of weight and naturally digs the rear into the water. It takes quite a bit of bow weight to bring the nose back down.

Well we put 850lbs of ballast plus a couple of kids in the bow of nebroncriders max and along with other 5000 lbs of ballast, the thing finally decided to surf! Pretty fair on both sides...thanks for the help everyone!

TheMirror
08-19-2018, 09:10 AM
Just ordered a 18' Max. Having it setup with :
- 1100s in the rear
- 950s under middle seats
- standard 1100 belly
- 400s each side in bow

Should this work? Any recommendations anyone? Could i get more weigh in the bow somehow? Do I need to?

Thanks

Boonejeepin
08-19-2018, 09:42 AM
Just ordered a 18' Max. Having it setup with :
- 1100s in the rear
- 950s under middle seats
- standard 1100 belly
- 400s each side in bow

Should this work? Any recommendations anyone? Could i get more weigh in the bow somehow? Do I need to?

Thanks
I am not sure that the 950s under the side seats or the w 400s in the bow will fill al the way but the should serve you well. You may want to consider a IBS rather than 2 bags under the bow seats but in the end weight is weight.

You may find that you need more weight in the rear(or less in the front) to get the height you want from your wake. I don’t think you will need more bow weight. But test it out. Testing is a lot of the fun.

The Max loves weigh and comes alive with lots of it.

TheMirror
08-19-2018, 10:13 AM
Interesting; why the IBS over the bags? And which IBS would you recommend?

Boonejeepin
08-19-2018, 02:12 PM
Interesting; why the IBS over the bags? And which IBS would you recommend?

Whatever fits and fills the most. I have a 500 IBS. A bigger bag would likely work but I have not tested any other size. Most 400s will be too tall for under the seats, especially with the floor design in the Max since it is raised a bit. It will also bit weight closer to the bow.

TheMirror
08-19-2018, 06:45 PM
Right, makes sense. Try are fitting up everything this week. I'll make sure all fits well... Thanks for the advice

MrWick
08-19-2018, 09:16 PM
Right, makes sense. Try are fitting up everything this week. I'll make sure all fits well... Thanks for the advice

WakeMAKERS made their max rear package available last week...it’s 1500 lbs per side....I hope they start working on a bow bag....Max needs it! Plus a lot of lead!

TheMirror
08-19-2018, 09:54 PM
WakeMAKERS made their max rear package available last week...it’s 1500 lbs per side....I hope they start working on a bow bag....Max needs it! Plus a lot of lead!

Interesting; I'll check it out - might be too late though :-(

What's your current max setup?

MrWick
08-20-2018, 08:27 AM
Interesting; I'll check it out - might be too late though :-(

What's your current max setup?

Even though we still have quite a bit of fine tuning to do, current setup is all 3 factory bags full, 200lbs lead under each back bag, fly high 750 under each side seat with 200lbs lead under each of those bags, 200 lbs lead under each side of the windshield area, 400lb bag in the center windshield walkway as far forward as we could get it, and 100 lbs of lead under the front center seat cushion. Surf left: surf tab at 55, center tab at 25 to 30, speed 12 to 12.5, drained off side rear bag down to 80% to clean up wave. Basically the same for goofy except the surf tab was 60 and center tab was 35, also drained down rear off side rear bag to about 80% to clean up the face of the wave. The Max is a little tricky to get set up. We struggled to get even a halfway decent wave until we started piling weight in the bow area..... this forum is great help!

Humbucker427
08-20-2018, 09:28 AM
Even though we still have quite a bit of fine tuning to do, current setup is all 3 factory bags full, 200lbs lead under each back bag, fly high 750 under each side seat with 200lbs lead under each of those bags, 200 lbs lead under each side of the windshield area, 400lb bag in the center windshield walkway as far forward as we could get it, and 100 lbs of lead under the front center seat cushion. Surf left: surf tab at 55, center tab at 25 to 30, speed 12 to 12.5, drained off side rear bag down to 80% to clean up wave. Basically the same for goofy except the surf tab was 60 and center tab was 35, also drained down rear off side rear bag to about 80% to clean up the face of the wave. The Max is a little tricky to get set up. We struggled to get even a halfway decent wave until we started piling weight in the bow area..... this forum is great help!

Wow...

Just so I'm clear, you have 6,200 lbs of ballast in your Max and you're running 12 -12.5 mph? First, is the 6,200 lb number really correct, and second, what RPM are you turning to push that load at 12.5 mph?

MrWick
08-20-2018, 02:33 PM
Wow...

Just so I'm clear, you have 6,200 lbs of ballast in your Max and you're running 12 -12.5 mph? First, is the 6,200 lb number really correct, and second, what RPM are you turning to push that load at 12.5 mph?

So reality is the factory advertised 3k is more like 2700 give or take. The fly high 750’s are really 640 full, we are probably getting 550 to 600 out of them, the fly high 400 is 350.....lead values are right on.... I didn’t mention the 300 of lead we moved to the surf side of what ever side we were surfing.....that is a “ close estimated “ 5650 lbs. rpms at 12mph are 3500/3600ish and 12.5 was 3700/3800 ish. This boat has the 440 with 15x13 prop. Nebroncrider has been surfing my dialed Supreme v226 with a GSA system....it has just about as good of wave as you can get without blowing 125k plus..... there is a lot of praise out there on the Max’s wave. Both he and I thought it would be a similar size wave as my boat and have push.... the potential is there I think, but it comes at the cost of lugging around a bunch of weight

bobbyz91
08-20-2018, 02:59 PM
The trays are deep enough to hold all the life jackets, ropes, buoys you would need and you can still access them when the ballast is full or empty. Again, I have used other boats with "subfloor" ballast, but even in those, getting items out of the rear storage is NOT easy, especially if you don't have good dividers in them.

Prospersigman
08-20-2018, 04:07 PM
So reality is the factory advertised 3k is more like 2700 give or take. The fly high 750’s are really 640 full, we are probably getting 550 to 600 out of them, the fly high 400 is 350.....lead values are right on.... I didn’t mention the 300 of lead we moved to the surf side of what ever side we were surfing.....that is a “ close estimated “ 5650 lbs. rpms at 12mph are 3500/3600ish and 12.5 was 3700/3800 ish. This boat has the 440 with 15x13 prop. Nebroncrider has been surfing my dialed Supreme v226 with a GSA system....it has just about as good of wave as you can get without blowing 125k plus..... there is a lot of praise out there on the Max’s wave. Both he and I thought it would be a similar size wave as my boat and have push.... the potential is there I think, but it comes at the cost of lugging around a bunch of weight

I would love to see some video and photos of the surf wave with 5650-6200 pounds of ballast...got some you can share with us??

MrWick
08-20-2018, 06:55 PM
I would love to see some video and photos of the surf wave with 5650-6200 pounds of ballast...got some you can share with us??

Nebroncrider will have vids to post up....

TheMirror
08-20-2018, 07:04 PM
Pardon my ignorance, who is this nebroncrider you speak of?

MrWick
08-20-2018, 09:59 PM
Pardon my ignorance, who is this nebroncrider you speak of?

Lol.... it is a friend of mine who just bought a Max a few weeks ago.... he asked a couple of questions about setups several pages back in this thread.

MrWick
08-20-2018, 10:07 PM
I don’t have any great wave angle pics, but the rider is 5’11” for reference.

MrWick
08-20-2018, 10:21 PM
Sorry, it won’t let me upload pics

TheMirror
08-21-2018, 09:28 PM
Any other way to share?

MrWick
08-21-2018, 10:21 PM
I’m trying to upload to my YouTube channel right now but it won’t upload either.... I’m working on it.

MrWick
08-22-2018, 01:05 PM
https://youtu.be/iMZPewrpiw8

This is the only vid I have from the last outing, I will try to get some footage this weekend

z28ke
08-22-2018, 04:07 PM
Nice! Do you recall how fast you were going?

MrWick
08-22-2018, 07:13 PM
Nice! Do you recall how fast you were going?

Speed in the vid was 12mph.... we actually got the wave quite a bit better (cleaner, longer, and a little taller) as the day progressed but this was the only vid I took with my phone. It seemed to like 12.3 for speed this day. It is a delicate balance between speed and center tab.....the faster I went, the less center tab I could run and achieve a clean wave....ultimately we would like to get to less than 15% on the center tab.... less tab, taller wave with push!

TheMirror
08-26-2018, 08:36 PM
So finally got the Max. What a monster! So tall and roomy. We really like it so far but only had about 15 minutes left to play with this weekend due to a late delivery of the boat other family activities. I must say the wave can be an absolute monster in size and really looks good; however, I have to learn what settings will help me achieve more push/power from the back of the wave. I *literally* have played with it for 15 minutes, so while I am sure the potential is there; I need to learn how to fix this!

My current ballast setup is:

rear locker : 1100lbs each side
under mid-seats: 950lbs each side
stock belly: 1100lbs
bow: single 725lbs IBS (u-shaped), will likely upgrade to 2x370lbs at end of season
total weight: 5925lbs. (can't add lead since this thing is in a boat lift)

Settings (with 4 adults in the boat):
- fully loaded (with a little less weight offside +-10-15%)
- speed: 10.8
- center tab: 0%
- surf plate: 75%

Which of these parameters will allow me to dial in more push/power? Weight placement? more list? plates? speed?

Boonejeepin
08-26-2018, 09:46 PM
So finally got the Max. What a monster! So tall and roomy. We really like it so far but only had about 15 minutes left to play with this weekend due to a late delivery of the boat other family activities. I must say the wave can be an absolute monster in size and really looks good; however, I have to learn what settings will help me achieve more push/power from the back of the wave. I *literally* have played with it for 15 minutes, so while I am sure the potential is there; I need to learn how to fix this!

My current ballast setup is:

rear locker : 1100lbs each side
under mid-seats: 950lbs each side
stock belly: 1100lbs
bow: single 725lbs IBS (u-shaped), will likely upgrade to 2x370lbs at end of season
total weight: 5925lbs. (can't add lead since this thing is in a boat lift)

Settings (with 4 adults in the boat):
- fully loaded (with a little less weight offside +-10-15%)
- speed: 10.8
- center tab: 0%
- surf plate: 75%

Which of these parameters will allow me to dial in more push/power? Weight placement? more list? plates? speed?

I would back down the surf plate as much as you can. The more it is deployed the more it will creat lift on the back is the boat hitting the power is the wave.

I personally like 11mph +

TheMirror
08-26-2018, 09:55 PM
I would back down the surf plate as much as you can. The more it is deployed the more it will creat lift on the back is the boat hitting the power is the wave.

I personally like 11mph +

Just to make sure I understand, we are referring to the surf plate on the surfer side right? (i.e. the one controlled from the screen, not the stick on the side of steering wheel)? It usually comes out of the box at 60 for regular and 70 for goofy? What do you have it set at usually?

Also: not sure I understand what you mean about the boat hitting the power is the wave, what do you mean by that?

Thanks a lot!

Boonejeepin
08-27-2018, 07:27 PM
Just to make sure I understand, we are referring to the surf plate on the surfer side right? (i.e. the one controlled from the screen, not the stick on the side of steering wheel)? It usually comes out of the box at 60 for regular and 70 for goofy? What do you have it set at usually?

Also: not sure I understand what you mean about the boat hitting the power is the wave, what do you mean by that?

Thanks a lot!

Wow-my auto correct totally botched my message.

I am referring to the surf plates on each side (controlled on the screen) and not the wake plate in the middle (stick on the steering column). I run the surf plate at 45 for regular and 50 for goofy.

Try to only deploy the surf plates as far down (larger # on the screen) as possible. The more the tab is deployed the more lift is created at the back of the boat taking away push/power. Deploy it only far enough to get the wave cleaned up.

That is my preference.

TheMirror
08-27-2018, 07:42 PM
Ok now i got it !

jmk4312
10-22-2018, 09:36 AM
I'm excited that I will be picking up a new 2019 Max in November. The dealer will install Wakemakers rear / midship ballast but I know the bow still needs more. Has anyone successfully added bags to the front by tapping into the subfloor bow ballast bag or are you having to fill those manually? I would prefer not to use lead b/c I'm on a lift but since I will likely have to increase my lift's capacity anyway (old boat had 3900# dry weight) that may be the easier option since I won't lose storage. Whatever option I go with has to be easy and not be seen so I keep the wife happy :-).

goose
10-22-2018, 12:00 PM
I'm excited that I will be picking up a new 2019 Max in November. The dealer will install Wakemakers rear / midship ballast but I know the bow still needs more. Has anyone successfully added bags to the front by tapping into the subfloor bow ballast bag or are you having to fill those manually? I would prefer not to use lead b/c I'm on a lift but since I will likely have to increase my lift's capacity anyway (old boat had 3900# dry weight) that may be the easier option since I won't lose storage. Whatever option I go with has to be easy and not be seen so I keep the wife happy :-).

Congrats on your new boat and I think you are going to love the additional rear and mid ship ballast once you get it. Before you get too crazy with modifying the front ballast, you should first see how the additional weight in the rear and mid helps. Especially the mid ship ballast. If you only added the additional weight in the rear, then you are correct, you would need more weight in the front. But I think the wakemakers kit you are talking about only adds a little in the rear, with the majority of the extra weight being in the mid ship. It is closer to the center of gravity, so I doubt you will need to add to the front. Keep us posted and congrats again on your boat.

jmk4312
10-22-2018, 01:47 PM
Thanks Matt. I will definitely let you know. Really excited and just sucks that it will be too cold to try until May. Oh well.

One of the only options I didn't order was the heater and it was partly b/c of location. I want to have a 3 output heater with one vent always on the driver and then two heat tubes to go to kids in the boat. Has anyone done a Heatercraft install on the Max? Was thinking of mounting the primary unit in front of the driver near the sub.

FamilyMan
10-27-2018, 09:19 PM
Congrats on your new boat and I think you are going to love the additional rear and mid ship ballast once you get it. Before you get too crazy with modifying the front ballast, you should first see how the additional weight in the rear and mid helps. Especially the mid ship ballast. If you only added the additional weight in the rear, then you are correct, you would need more weight in the front. But I think the wakemakers kit you are talking about only adds a little in the rear, with the majority of the extra weight being in the mid ship. It is closer to the center of gravity, so I doubt you will need to add to the front. Keep us posted and congrats again on your boat.

IMO Keep the front for storage. I do run some lead up there on occasion (can fit 300 in the nose, hate leaving it there because of all the tongue weight and air suspension on the tow vehicle....granted I tow only 300 feet each way), but with all the extra weight midship I feel like I can surf plenty far back with tons of push with only a driver in the boat. When we have a lot of people in the boat the wave is almost too monstrous and I just speed it up to close to 12mph and that usually keeps it from being a wall of steep water. Basically, try what you got, more than likely you will be well pleased without having to give up front storage.

csm
10-27-2018, 11:16 PM
I’ll be taking delivery of a max sometime in November. My current plan for ballast is adding 1k of lead midship in addition to the stock. Storage is a huge factor for us because we take a ton of stuff out with us so hoping to avoid bags under the seats. I figure if 1k isn’t enough I can add another 500 up front with IBS if needed.

Any thought from current owners on that plan? Any input is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FamilyMan
10-29-2018, 07:48 PM
I’ll be taking delivery of a max sometime in November. My current plan for ballast is adding 1k of lead midship in addition to the stock. Storage is a huge factor for us because we take a ton of stuff out with us so hoping to avoid bags under the seats. I figure if 1k isn’t enough I can add another 500 up front with IBS if needed.

Any thought from current owners on that plan? Any input is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Keep the tank filled as well ( roughly 600-700lbs of fuel ballast :) ). Think you will have a very surf-able wave with that much weight. I have an estimated 2000 over factory and its great...had 250 of lead and then went straight to the 2000 which produces great push with just a driver, though I imagine with that extra 1000 it will be a decent wave. Just like anything, titrate to effect :cool:

Frank C
12-31-2018, 09:41 AM
Hello Matt,

I have the rear side locker trays in a 2019 Max. I take delivery in mid-Jan. I want to copy Boonejeepin's set up of 1280's in the rears and 720's under the side seat lockers. 1280's says they are 50" long x 25" wide x 25" tall.

Will I be able to keep the rear trays when 1280s are full?
The 720's list as 45" long x 20" wide x 20" tall. Will these fit snug in under the side seat storage?
Do you recommend any other configurations?

FamilyMan
01-26-2019, 02:22 PM
Just my opinion and nothing against Boonejeepin since his vids prove he has an amazing and failed wave, but I think your money would be better spent on something for front weight instead of 1280s in the back. No doubt it works great for Boonejeepin, but my stock rears with those same midship bags make a pushy wave with only a driver. Gets too big for beginners when we add people weight. Granted, my dealership gave me 350 of lead which I put 100 on top of the ledge between the rear and midships bilaterally and the other 150 in the nose. So if you only want water weight and don’t want the hassle of figuring out how to get it in the bow then the 1280s make sense.

Before I bought the 720 bags, I loaded up on lead, but now 400 of it is mostly used for putting on my cushions when towing far without the cover.

FamilyMan
01-26-2019, 02:24 PM
Whoops. Forgot to say that yes those 720s are perfect. Probably 5 inches or so of height left when closed. Fills front to back perfect.