PDA

View Full Version : Trailer bunk carpet replacement options

bjrow
12-03-2017, 08:47 PM
G'day from OZ,

Bit of a newbie Q'n but there seems to be limited option here in OZ for replacement trailer bunk carpet.
We will be OK for this season but starting to see what I need to purchase for the on set of Winter next year, yeah I know it's only the 4th day of Summer here :). I like to be ahead of these things........

So I wandered around a few carpet shops and there seemed to be some good household carpet, cut pile and dense. Is this OK to use?
Our local hardware joint had some thin outdoor stuff, looped, couldn't see how that would provide much protection. The "marine" stuff seemed rubbery and I can only imagine the marks left on the bottom of the boat using that.

Since the carpet needs replacing every few years is the home carpet OK to use?

Last week we were all complaining about the temps of 37 degC for the week, now it's 19 degC!

appreciate any input.

Cheers, BruceR AUS Melbourne

Darter
12-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Temps are plummeting here tomorrow. We should all come visit you for the season!

Out local big box hardware stores carry outdoor carpet that's similar to the factory trailer carpet. Somewhat thin and dries fairly quickly. It's looped, but very short. You don't need much cushion on the bunks as the hull should not be experiencing impact, just glide.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
12-04-2017, 11:55 AM
The 'marine' carpet is make for minimal water retention. Plus it comes in rolls - easier to work with. I've never seen 'home carpet' on bunks, so would not know how long that would last if you go to all the effort to replace. I've read about people going to Lowes/Home Depot and purchasing olefin grade carpet.

Do you have any big-box stores in AUS such as West Marine or Overtons that will ship to you? You will pay more here b/c of the word 'marine', but we are not talking about a lot of dollars in the big picture.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/ce-smith--deluxe-marine-bunk-carpet--P017_513_002_501
https://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Overtons-Deluxe-Daystar-16-oz-Marine-Trailer-Bunk-Carpet-12W-x-12L&i=300184

You can go directly to Boatmate Trailers, but the shipping will cost you a few dollars.
https://www.boatmateparts.com/product_details.php?itmId=8

eBay will also have a bunch to choose from. You should shop around.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Runners-HD-Bunk-Carpet-16-oz-BOAT-Trailer-SILVER-24-x-12-Marine-Outdoor/202048652752?hash=item2f0b09c5d0:g:haEAAOSwr~lYrZ-F&vxp=mtr

Must have some harsh conditions if you have to replace every few years . . . . . .

zabooda
12-04-2017, 01:45 PM
Get the real stuff. Most are on rolls that are the right dimension for the bunks, not very expensive and will hold up better on the abrasion points. Many people recommend stainless steel staples but I have used the regular steel staples and they seem to hold long enough until I need to recarpet the next time. If your bolts aren't holding well and loosing up often, you may want to replace the boards.

996scott
12-04-2017, 09:34 PM
i did mine last year and got the good stuff from the overtons and it was nice stuff. Pay a little extra and get the good stuff.

MJHSupra
12-04-2017, 09:36 PM
Get the real stuff. Most are on rolls that are the right dimension for the bunks, not very expensive and will hold up better on the abrasion points. Many people recommend stainless steel staples but I have used the regular steel staples and they seem to hold long enough until I need to recarpet the next time. If your bolts aren't holding well and loosing up often, you may want to replace the boards.

I agree. There are a bunch of posts around the forumns were people cannot find SS staples. Not sure why.

bjrow
12-05-2017, 04:29 PM
Many thanks for all your replies.

There are no outlets here that have the cut pile 20oz carpet similar to those in the links above, plenty of plastic bunks and slides for the Ali fishing boats.
Getting hold of SS staples was no problem, just the carpet availability for the application seems difficult.
Will most likely contact boatmate and see about $'s for shipping to OZ, I'll be sitting down for that one!
Some of the thin stuff I previously saw could be applied in 2 layers, glue the first down then wrap the 2nd over it and secure with staples underneath the bunks.
The cut pile vs loop pile, is there any advantage of one over the other? A search on ebay has that rubberized marine stuff locally available, all others are from the USA.

As a bit of background to the boat, we purchased it as ex-demo with 4.5hrs on it. The bunk carpet was noticeably worn but OK however after 3 years and about 25 unloads and reloads it is showing a little more wear so thought I'd prepare to do the bunks.

Cheers BruceR, AUS Melbourne.

zabooda
12-05-2017, 07:46 PM
Most boat shops should have that in stock.