PDA

View Full Version : slalom ski?

Double D
09-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Hey everyone!

Need some advice out there. I was skiing an old HO Mach 1 that was 65" in length for the past 14 years. I love the ski, but my age and metabolism has caught up with me and now I am pushing 175 lbs. which is just a bit too much for that length of ski. So last year I bought the HO Vengence 67" in length. I like the ski, but everyone I ski with say I don't perform on that ski like I do with my Mach 1. Problem is I need to be over 36 miles per hour to make that little ski really work nicely at my current weight.

I really thought by updating 14 years and only adding 2" to the ski, that I would still be able to work the ski similar to my old, very outdated HO ski.

Wondering maybe I should look at the "new" HO Mach 1 and get it at 66" in length.

I am free skier. Not much time working the course. Just like to lay down at 22 off and do lots of giant "S"s in the water.

Anyone ski either one of these skis and what have you noticed in your skiing?

Thanks everyone.

Dan:p

YellowMoomba0
09-08-2006, 01:35 PM
I dont know if I can offer much advise there because there are so many skis out there to choose from. Personally I am a fin tweaking junkie. A lot of people do not mess with the fins; however, I notice immediate changes in performance after a minor adjustment. Often times I make the wrong adjustment and the performance is worse. In that case I immediately take the adjustment out and try another one. I spend 95% of my ski time in the course so I have to ask, did this feel better, and did I get more bouys? Im not sure what your performance is lacking though.

If your fin adjusts, you might try reading up on what the adjustments do. The hard part is diagnosing what your not getting from your ski. You will never know if you dont try it.

I definately think 66" would be better for you regarless of brand.

Good Luck

gotmyboat
09-08-2006, 02:00 PM
I too had ridden an older Mach I. I found some of the same characteristics in a Connelly Concept. I agree with yellow, try adjusting fin and moving boots before you give up on the Vengeance. If you are still not happy, try to demo as many skis as possible. I ended up with
an '05 Hook because I found a screaming deal on eBay. It has turned out to be a great ski for me. I'm 6'3" and 230 so I went for a 70". I'm still an intermediate free-skier so the extra length helps. I too find that 36 MPH is my sweet spot. The extra speed covers up my poor technique :p . Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Dave

tarkus70
09-09-2006, 12:46 AM
I also ski on an HO when I was able to ski in a course I would spend the first month tuning a ski. The one thing I can say is do one adjustment at a time.I used to get all caught up in tuning I would do too many things at once. As far as having to go faster first thing I would try is moving the boots back a little the old Mach you could ride a little forward and not really feel it. I tried setting up my new Mach just like the old one ( 1993 vintage ) and hated it come to find out I was too far forward even though the boots were in the same position as the old ski. Just my$0.02

zabooda
09-09-2006, 04:41 AM
I've been using a 69" Mach for ten years now. I'm 235 pounds and I run about 35 mph. I really liked it at first but I am looking at other skis these days. Hard to convince this 50 year old to get a more radical ski but my buddies keep bringing them and I'm liking them.

BensonWdby
09-09-2006, 12:31 PM
I have never skied an HO so can't say about the specific skis.

One of the sad facts of skiing is that as we get older (and usually heavier) we just don't ski like we used to . That does not mean we get worse, it just seems to get harder to maitain angle.

I alos am now almost 51 and at 5'10" 210lb the benefits of youth are gradually eroding. I spend most of my time free skiing. In my case I skied pretty much the same speed and rope for a couple of decades, 15 off at 30. Then over the last few years I decided to go for broke. I am now skiing 35 off at 34. If you compared my style from the past with now, I think I probably looked better back then. But I am having way more fun now, and I actually feel like I am skiing better. Biggest difference is probably that I am not going as wide as I used to (probably would not make the course). I am working on that by releasing a bit of angle on the wing.

Things that made a difference:
1. I bought a Connelly Concept several years ago and am just now really making it work for me. A friend recently bought an 05 Concept and it has dramatically changed his skiing in just a few weeks. It is a high perfromance ski, but not as snaky as the top of the line skis like the F1. It is billed as 'more forgiving' and I believe that is true.
2. I changed my grip so as RFF I have left hand on top.
3. I finally came to understand the importance of not pulling too long and have figured out how to get my hands lower after the pull (at least on my strong side).
4. I ski shorter than I am comfortable for a few days, and then go back to my normal length. Suddenly feels much easier....

I suggest that if you are considering yet another ski, consider tuning your current ski first. Schnitz has some good insight on tuning:
http://www.schnitzskis.com/skitips/skituning.html
Move your bindings, cant your back foot, move your fins, tweek your wing, sand your edges. If none of that helps, then get a new ski. All I have done personally is mess with front foot placement and wing angle. Not ready for a new ski just yet.

Consider that at Ski Paradise in Acupulco they have a challeng to see who can navigate the course on a board, littlerally about a 3 foot section of 1x6 or something like that. Check out their site for details.

Have fun
Dave

barefooterh2o
09-21-2006, 01:22 AM
I agree with the other posts. I'm a course skier and buy 1 or 2 new skis a year. I use to have a HO Vengeance. The fin can be adjusted. Look under Waterskimag.com or Connelly skis for fin adjustments for what each direction will do. Bindings on the Vengeance should be neutral. Moving the fin forward will make the ski turn quicker. Make small adjustments and chart it on paper. Also the Vengeance has not been made for a year or two. Possible the fin is not set at factory settings. Check online at HO for the factory settings and go from there.

If you are still not satisfied with the ski performance, try the Connelly F1X. It performs well for a middle of the road price. The Concept is good too but you will notice the F1X will handle rough water better and when the fin is tuned, it carves thru the course nicer. Also look for a used HO CDX or KD CR7. But first don't get rid of the Vengeance until you adjust the fin. It may take 6 times out to get it set right.

BensonWdby
09-21-2006, 08:08 PM
1-2 new skis per year? I am lucky if I get one per decade. What do you do with your old skis??

Dave

barefooterh2o
09-22-2006, 12:17 AM
Either sell last years ones or keep one back for guests. Already sold the 05's earlier this summer.

Wakesurfer
10-26-2006, 10:08 AM
Get the 69 triumph run at 30 to 32 mph. you will not stop smilling...