PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid Change

mattjj23
09-05-2006, 10:34 PM
What is the best way to change the transmission fluid on an 06' Outback and when should it be changed?

YellowMoomba0
09-06-2006, 08:52 AM
Id have to look at the manual again to see exactly how much. From what I understand there is little tolerance to have either too little or too much fluid; therefore you want to put in exactly what you take out. This of course assumes that the right amount is in it to start with.

If so, I take a oil pump tank (vacuum kind) and insert the tube directly in the tranny dip stick all the way to the bottom. Vacuum all the fluid out. Pour it from the oil pump tank (evenly) into solo cups. I think its about 4 of these cups. Then I use a different color cup and pour new tranny fluid into 4 new cups matching the fill levels of the old fluid. When I am happy with the measurements then I insert the funnel and fill her up.

So far I have had no problems with this. Perhaps a large measuring cup (or two) would be better for measuring etc. Either way the most important thing is the right amount. I do this at every oil change.

Put a heavy towel down on the carpet and be careful, red tranny fluid will drip off the dip stick.