PDA

View Full Version : orig moomba flow system?

mikepo26
11-17-2017, 07:49 AM
I have an 08 lsv looking into Moomba flow system orig manual plates. anyone have info, personal experience, and or for sale ?

dakota4ce
11-17-2017, 08:32 AM
Buy a suck gate my man! Will be better off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smorris7
11-17-2017, 10:55 AM
I have an 08 lsv looking into Moomba flow system orig manual plates. anyone have info, personal experience, and or for sale ?

I do not believe these will work on the 08 Hull.

Stazi
11-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Stick on gate works way better

pat6969
11-17-2017, 02:16 PM
I have them on my 15 Mondo and they work great. I list slightly to either side and get a great wave.

dakota4ce
11-17-2017, 04:11 PM
There are 47 awesome suckgate options. I have personal experience with Nauticurl. Works like a charm, $250 or so, zero drilling.

russellsmojo
11-20-2017, 01:32 AM
There are 47 awesome suckgate options. I have personal experience with Nauticurl. Works like a charm, $250 or so, zero drilling.

Are you sure about the 47? Don’t want fake news out there.

dakota4ce
11-20-2017, 10:58 AM
It would be a miscarriage of justice to see original flow screwed to a boat in 2017.

smorris7
11-20-2017, 11:52 AM
It would be a miscarriage of justice to see original flow screwed to a boat in 2017.

I had fantastic results from the original Flow device on my 12 Mojo. Of course I ran 5K plus weight in the boat but the wave was fantastic.

dakota4ce
11-20-2017, 11:53 AM
Yes that’s surely believable, but in the face of the modern suckgate it makes little sense to bolt something like that the boat.

smorris7
11-20-2017, 12:00 PM
Never could make the suck gate work very well on the Mojo. Hull lines just were not right to get it at the proper level.

dakota4ce
11-20-2017, 12:26 PM
OP has a 2008 LSV.

Not knocking your original flow. Just trying to help the OP.

Tylerrnemt
11-20-2017, 01:39 PM
Don't waste your money on the flow for the LSV. I've heard they work great with the newer mojo mondo craz hulls.... but it sucks with the LSV. Previous owner of my lsv had it installed. I can hardly tell a difference with it deployed. Only way I know it's out is the odd rooster tail from that side... does nothing to the wave on surf side.

What does work wonders is one of the suckgate type devices... I made one for cheap and it works great or any of the ones you can buy.

Here you can see the manual flow on my lsv....
https://vgy.me/LybeE1.jpg

And here is my suck gate
https://vgy.me/9R8DLV.jpg
https://vgy.me/ZvfiZm.jpg

Stazi
11-20-2017, 05:02 PM
Yes that’s surely believable, but in the face of the modern suckgate it makes little sense to bolt something like that the boat.

Indeed

Sp8
11-21-2017, 10:09 AM

I added manual flow 4 years ago. Never use it. Suck gate wave is much better and easier to adjust. Wished I had waited a year and saved the $$$

muehlcj
11-21-2017, 03:37 PM
I had fantastic results from the original Flow device on my 12 Mojo. Of course I ran 5K plus weight in the boat but the wave was fantastic.

I’ve had great results with the original flow as well. I run approx. the same amount of weight ~5000lbs.

Dakota4ce - To say it’s a miscarriage makes about zero sense. All of the systems are bolted to the transom. This is just manual vs. automated. Would a automated system be better based on convenience? Sure! But from a performance standpoint you are using a device that works on the same principles as the suck gates that you are suggesting and you don’t have to worry about attaching it every time, finding the correct location, falling off, etc. Takes 10 seconds to set up, if that.

Now would I suggest ordering it on a new boat (if it was an option) vs an automated system - that answer is no.

dakota4ce
11-21-2017, 06:51 PM
I don’t think you’re tracking here my friend. The original post was suggesting to put manual flow plates on his boat. My statement would be taken in the context of spending more money to bolt original manual flow plates to your boat doesn’t make any sense when there are a plethora of $200 suck gate options.

dakota4ce
11-21-2017, 06:53 PM
I’ve had great results with the original flow as well. I run approx. the same amount of weight ~5000lbs.

Dakota4ce - To say it’s a miscarriage makes about zero sense. All of the systems are bolted to the transom. This is just manual vs. automated. Would a automated system be better based on convenience? Sure! But from a performance standpoint you are using a device that works on the same principles as the suck gates that you are suggesting and you don’t have to worry about attaching it every time, finding the correct location, falling off, etc. Takes 10 seconds to set up, if that.

Now would I suggest ordering it on a new boat (if it was an option) vs an automated system - that answer is no.

Oops—see above. Further clarification is that I would not suggest a suck gate is better than an automated flow system. And if you are having that much trouble with your suck gate, then there must be something wrong. Once you find the correct spot and have a good product, they don’t fall off and work wonderfully. Again the original post is about manual flow, so you do have to get on your hands and knees reach down in the water and deploy the plate anyway. Buying this in 2017 and bolting it to your boat versus buying a good suck gate does not make sense.

The key to success: the 5000# you mention.

But hey, if a guy wants to buy some 2013 manual flow plates for more money than a suck gate and screw them to his boat, have at it. For me it is a silly move.

Tylerrnemt
11-21-2017, 07:09 PM

As I mentioned above also .... I think the manual flow has had good results with the mojo, craz, and mondo hulls. These are what the manual flow was originally designed for. The OP has an LSV. The manual flow for the LSV didn't come out till a little later and seems to be kind of an after thought. Most people that I see with LSVs are not happy with the manual flow system.

Therefore, I think the general consensus on this forum has been:

Mojo, Craz, Mondo= manual flow works well and worth doing

LSV= manual flow waste of money

muehlcj
11-21-2017, 09:29 PM
I don’t think you’re tracking here my friend. The original post was suggesting to put manual flow plates on his boat. My statement would be taken in the context of spending more money to bolt original manual flow plates to your boat doesn’t make any sense when there are a plethora of $200 suck gate options.

I’m aware that the OP was in regard to the ‘08 LSV - to that I say there isn’t a manual flow option out there that will work for you.

To your blanket statement about bolting something on a boat in ‘17 you are completely off the mark. If my ‘13 mojo didn’t have manual flow and my options were a factory system installed by a dealer for $1000-$1500 or $200 suck gate or $5000 automated system I’m going to go with the manual flow all day. Nothing like trying suction cupping something to a 70k boat when there are better cleaner options.

dakota4ce
11-21-2017, 09:52 PM
I’m aware that the OP was in regard to the ‘08 LSV - to that I say there isn’t a manual flow option out there that will work for you.

To your blanket statement about bolting something on a boat in ‘17 you are completely off the mark. If my ‘13 mojo didn’t have manual flow and my options were a factory system installed by a dealer for $1000-$1500 or $200 suck gate or $5000 automated system I’m going to go with the manual flow all day. Nothing like trying suction cupping something to a 70k boat when there are better cleaner options.

Let me get this straight: you would pay $1500 to have manual flow installed on a boat right now in 2017? Okay....by "bolting something" I unequivocally meant manual flow.

If that is a yes, I guess that is what I was referring to, and I disagree. I would never do that in 4000 risings of the sun. I would fabricate a fully automated goose slapper system (fake surfgate) for around $1000-1500 (check out MB forums), I would buy Wavecontrol on a 20% discount for $3200, or I would save 15 tanks of gas worth of money and use a good suckgate. Not sure what the $5000 system you reference is.

Manual flow to me is roughly akin to a suckgate, except less versatile and functional--even less "clean." The fact that manual flow is "factory" and "dealer installed" means little to me, because it is the 2013 attempt at a surf system when leaps have been made since then. Think: iPhone 4. Factory systems from then are obsolete for the most part--every major manufacturer has changed them significantly or even drastically. And don't get me started about dealer installed. In my adventures I have learned that 90% of dealers don't know sh*t about surfing, surf systems, ballast, wave creation, surfboards, etc etc etc. The expertise is almost all out here in the user community. In fact, many factory cues for changes are derived from user engineering. And recipes for dialing are 1000% out here in the minds of the users.

Did manual flow do the trick back then? Yes, it pretty much did with enough weight and dialing. It was a good iPhone 4. Now we are on to the X and not looking back.

AND TO CLARIFY, I WOULD NOT REMOVE A FUNCTIONING MANUAL FLOW FROM A BOAT WHERE I HAVE IT DIALED AND IT IS WORKING FOR ME. It clearly works well on many boats and gets lots of people great waves. I just would not seek one out for lots more money than a suckgate.

jmvotto
11-21-2017, 10:40 PM
FWIW I would not pay for a 250 suck gate that you can make for less than 50bucks and a two beer job. I never could get the suck gate to work on my 12 xlv due to graphics so the old fashion 20 ghetto gate works wonders as created a great wave ��. So to the op I would not search for the manual flow but try a ghetto gate first , then to a suck gate My.02

dakota4ce
11-21-2017, 11:05 PM
FWIW I would not pay for a 250 suck gate that you can make for less than 50bucks and a two beer job. I never could get the suck gate to work on my 12 xlv due to graphics so the old fashion 20 ghetto gate works wonders as created a great wave ��. So to the op I would not search for the manual flow but try a ghetto gate first , then to a suck gate My.02

Great point!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

muehlcj
11-21-2017, 11:53 PM
Let me get this straight: you would pay $1500 to have manual flow installed on a boat right now in 2017? Okay....by "bolting something" I unequivocally meant manual flow.

If that is a yes, I guess that is what I was referring to, and I disagree. I would never do that in 4000 risings of the sun. I would fabricate a fully automated goose slapper system (fake surfgate) for around $1000-1500 (check out MB forums), I would buy Wavecontrol on a 20% discount for $3200, or I would save 15 tanks of gas worth of money and use a good suckgate. Not sure what the $5000 system you reference is.

Manual flow to me is roughly akin to a suckgate, except less versatile and functional--even less "clean." The fact that manual flow is "factory" and "dealer installed" means little to me, because it is the 2013 attempt at a surf system when leaps have been made since then. Think: iPhone 4. Factory systems from then are obsolete for the most part--every major manufacturer has changed them significantly or even drastically. And don't get me started about dealer installed. In my adventures I have learned that 90% of dealers don't know sh*t about surfing, surf systems, ballast, wave creation, surfboards, etc etc etc. The expertise is almost all out here in the user community. In fact, many factory cues for changes are derived from user engineering. And recipes for dialing are 1000% out here in the minds of the users.

Did manual flow do the trick back then? Yes, it pretty much did with enough weight and dialing. It was a good iPhone 4. Now we are on to the X and not looking back.

AND TO CLARIFY, I WOULD NOT REMOVE A FUNCTIONING MANUAL FLOW FROM A BOAT WHERE I HAVE IT DIALED AND IT IS WORKING FOR ME. It clearly works well on many boats and gets lots of people great waves. I just would not seek one out for lots more money than a suckgate.

Yes - yes I believe he best bang for your buck is manual flow. I’ve had it for four years now. Curious to know what your experience with it is?

Who’s installing your wave control? I also have first hand experience how well that fits up without any extra parts. Also curious to know how your factory hull warranty is going to hold up after you’ve lagged a bunch of aftermarket components from your “surf gate” you plan to design, fab and install over what I could only guess might take 6 months if done correctly.

Your anolgy about the iPhone doesn’t apply. The suck gate is like putting a plastic phone case from a kiosk at the mall on a iPhone 4 and calling it better. I’m not sure you understand that the suck gate is using the exact same tech as manual flow, surfgate and others. It’s slowing the flow around one side of the boat and delaying the convergence of the water allowing the wave to form. Hardly a breakthrough in hydrodynamics.

You say back then but nothing in the physics has changed from ‘12 or whenever SG debut- just fancier contol systems.

dakota4ce
11-22-2017, 12:20 AM
Ok sounds like I have messed with the wrong cowboy. I think I may snag some manual flow plates for my Supra SE.

I installed my own Wavecontrol on my own 2013 MB Sports F24. Piece of cake. Maybe 10 hours? In my garage. Beautiful system.

I also installed a goose slapper aka fake surf gate system on my friends MB B52 21 WB last spring. After a week of ordering a few parts, I installed it in about 6 hours. Just a tad shy of 6 months. He makes such a killer wave now. 650s in the rear compartments and amazingly I plumbed l those on reversibles also.

I understand the physics. I also understand that device efficiency has increased dramatically. You should see Swell 2.0 outperform original Swell. Amazingly, it’s much better. Crazy huh? On the same hull no less. Weird. And 3.0 is supposed to be even better yet.

Rode behind a Moomba with manual flow. It was just fine. Slapped a Nauticurl on same boat, quite a bit better. Not sure why? Maybe some sort of metaphysical warp zone. It was an LSV. But the physics are the same, right? Yes, in the same way that a Chevy Cavalier and a Corvette are both cars.

Factory hull warranty? I guess I am not too worried about my boat snapping in half due to some stainless lag screws set in 5200. Well, and most people aren’t original owners of their hulls anyway, so it’s often a moot point.

And no, your physics explaination isn’t exactly comprehensive. Newer systems do a better job of vectoring flow to make a stronger and more shapely wave. With regard to suckgate vs manual flow this isn’t such a big deal, I concede. But suckgates work super well. And are larger, diverting more water. That’s good, right?

russellsmojo
11-22-2017, 12:39 AM
Anyone with the manual Moomba system take off at full speed and full ballast on third setting? Haha...quite the geyser!!

I think it happened at least once per trip out to the lake. My kids be like uh Dad something is bad wrong back there. I am thinking hell thats why it is pulling so bad. Put it in neutral, sit my beer down, take the walk of shame to the back of the boat. Almost fall in leaning off platform to move steel plate. Bust my knuckle on the pin. Come back to drivers seat bleeding on the carpet so I could announce “we are good to go now” kids.

dakota4ce
11-22-2017, 12:41 AM
Lest we not forget, dearest OP, that consensus seems to be manual flow is not great on LSV hulls.

Which is your ultimate question. Get a suckgate, save money, buy more ballast, have a blast.

dakota4ce
11-22-2017, 12:42 AM
Did anyone have the manual Moomba system and take off full speed and full ballast on third setting? Haha...quite the geyser!!

I remember the first time I did. My kids were like uh Dad something is bad wrong back there.

LOL “Something feels weird.”

muehlcj
11-22-2017, 08:18 AM
Ok sounds like I have messed with the wrong cowboy. I think I may snag some manual flow plates for my Supra SE.

I installed my own Wavecontrol on my own 2013 MB Sports F24. Piece of cake. Maybe 10 hours? In my garage. Beautiful system.

I also installed a goose slapper aka fake surf gate system on my friends MB B52 21 WB last spring. After a week of ordering a few parts, I installed it in about 6 hours. Just a tad shy of 6 months. He makes such a killer wave now. 650s in the rear compartments and amazingly I plumbed l those on reversibles also.

I understand the physics. I also understand that device efficiency has increased dramatically. You should see Swell 2.0 outperform original Swell. Amazingly, it’s much better. Crazy huh? On the same hull no less. Weird. And 3.0 is supposed to be even better yet.

Rode behind a Moomba with manual flow. It was just fine. Slapped a Nauticurl on same boat, quite a bit better. Not sure why? Maybe some sort of metaphysical warp zone. It was an LSV. But the physics are the same, right? Yes, in the same way that a Chevy Cavalier and a Corvette are both cars.

Factory hull warranty? I guess I am not too worried about my boat snapping in half due to some stainless lag screws set in 5200. Well, and most people aren’t original owners of their hulls anyway, so it’s often a moot point.

And no, your physics explaination isn’t exactly comprehensive. Newer systems do a better job of vectoring flow to make a stronger and more shapely wave. With regard to suckgate vs manual flow this isn’t such a big deal, I concede. But suckgates work super well. And are larger, diverting more water. That’s good, right?

Sounds like we are going to have to agree to disagree.

I’m really starting to question the “manual flow 4 life” tatoo I got

smorris7
11-22-2017, 08:18 AM
This has been very entertaining.
Just so everyone knows, Exile is better than Wetsounds![emoji23] take that!

muehlcj
11-22-2017, 08:31 AM

BTW shouldn’t you be working on your foil?

dakota4ce
11-22-2017, 08:38 AM

Well that stinks. I was sure excited to read why new generation surf systems work better even though they are just the same thing with fancier control devices employing the same old boring physics.

dakota4ce
11-22-2017, 08:43 AM

This wasn’t even the classic Ford vs Chevy argument. It was more strange and obtuse than that.

My guess would be exactly or nearly zero manual flow systems have been sold or retrofitted in the last 2 years. Just a guess.

dakota4ce
11-22-2017, 08:53 AM
BTW shouldn’t you be working on your foil?

I have 4 months for that. Gonna be a long cold winter. Don’t wanna spend it all his early!

You should stop by Okoboji IA next summer and sample the same old physics behind the SE. if you’re passing through. We can have some barley pops and marvel at the simplicity of surf systems.

After all this, which was fun no doubt, I may send the OP a Nauticurl for Chriatmas.

muehlcj
11-22-2017, 10:16 AM
Well that stinks. I was sure excited to read why new generation surf systems work better even though they are just the same thing with fancier control devices employing the same old boring physics.

Hmmmm I think I wrote "control systems" and what I intended was "controls surfaces" - sorry hard to see on my iphone4's tiny screen

muehlcj
11-22-2017, 10:22 AM
I have 4 months for that. Gonna be a long cold winter. Don’t wanna spend it all his early!

You should stop by Okoboji IA next summer and sample the same old physics behind the SE. if you’re passing through. We can have some barley pops and marvel at the simplicity of surf systems.

After all this, which was fun no doubt, I may send the OP a Nauticurl for Chriatmas.

Okoboji huh? You buddies with the boji surf folks?

Sounds good. I'm never going to turn down a surf and some brews. I am going to stay away from that foil while I'm there. I'm not sure I trust the manufacture.

Sorry to the OP - '08 LSV Dakota is correct - build or buy a suck/ghetto gate. Add as much weight as you feel comfortable with 40/60 front to rear distribution and have fun.

dakota4ce
11-22-2017, 10:40 AM
Okoboji huh? You buddies with the boji surf folks?

Sounds good. I'm never going to turn down a surf and some brews. I am going to stay away from that foil while I'm there. I'm not sure I trust the manufacture.

Sorry to the OP - '08 LSV Dakota is correct - build or buy a suck/ghetto gate. Add as much weight as you feel comfortable with 40/60 front to rear distribution and have fun.

Actually haven’t happened across the Boji Surf Co folks. Have seen their RZX before but haven’t spoken. They are social media beasts!

jmvotto
11-22-2017, 10:54 AM

Is not :o....

Tylerrnemt
11-22-2017, 01:05 PM
Lest we not forget, dearest OP, that consensus seems to be manual flow is not great on LSV hulls.

Which is your ultimate question. Get a suckgate, save money, buy more ballast, have a blast.

Exactly....

mikepo26
11-23-2017, 07:39 AM
Well...
thanks you for all your information. I built a suck gate with directions I found on planet nautique. seemed to work this past summer, but didn't know if there was anything better from Moomba. thanks again for all the info, and I am open to a free nautiquicurl.

Sampp1963
03-11-2018, 04:10 PM
Does anyone knows what material original flow system is made of? Aluminium or stainless ? I need to clean it and I want to make tu use the right stuff.

I have one on my 2014 mondo. Works fine....but I'm thinking of adding a suck gate... Wondering which one works better for the Mondo.... Any suggestion?

Thanks

smorris7
03-12-2018, 07:00 AM
Aluminum

JD14Mondo
03-12-2018, 03:06 PM
I tried a suck gate on my Mondo. It worked pretty good. I stopped using it mainly because I had the flow wave dialed in and it was easier to setup. I would suggest trying it if you can make one or get your hands on one cheap. My friend is using mine now on his centurion.