PDA

View Full Version : using non-marine rated speakers?

iaonbb
09-04-2006, 05:48 PM
Looking to replace the cheap'o one-piece speakers in my '04 Mobius LS. Wanted to use the same Kenwood's as in the new boats. As far as I can tell, they're using these...

http://www.dealznet.com/item.aspx?eid=1&pid=72888

These are clearly not a marine rated speaker? Any issues I might have if I go with the same? The boat will be covered while tailering and hopefuly I won't get cauhgt in any sudden downpours, but the unloaded tower cans I'll be using will be exposed at all times and I'll be installing these speakers there as well. Considering these...anyone using them? Feedback?

http://audioformz.com/wakeboard.asp?img=WB675B-audiobahnAMS60N-fron.jpg

Also, anyone with a new ride that could tell me the exact diameter of their grills? The speakers are listed as a 6.5"/6.75" speaker and I want to be sure the new grils will cover the crease from the old grills as I heard some folks have had issues with this.

AZHeet
09-04-2006, 07:12 PM
I just bought a new boat and I have 4 "unloaded" Audioforz cans for the 6.5-6.75 speakers. I had the Polk 6.75's in them, but I took them out to put in my new boat and it came with tower speakers so I don't need them anymore. I only had them out on the lake twice and they were only installed for about three weeks. Other than that, they have been in the closet for the last month. The sounded great with the Polks which are marine rated. I'd let them go for about half of what they run on their website.

iaonbb
09-04-2006, 07:44 PM
If they're black..I'm definitely interested!!! PM me....thanks

JesseC
09-04-2006, 11:01 PM
I am using the Audioformz in my boat and I absolutely love them. Click my tower link in my signature to see the install.

iaonbb
09-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Jesse~ Any probs with them torquing out of place when lowering the tower? AZHEET mentioned he had issues with his doing this when folded...Also, what size is your tower?

AZ~ sent you another PM

JesseC
09-05-2006, 08:31 PM
It seems like my tower was an 1 5/8 inch. I am not sure about the folding of the tower. I have not tried to fold it down. When I load it into the garage, we have to take the tower completely off. At the angle of the boat to the garage, the folded tower just will not clear. I am headed to the lake this weekend and I will give it a try and see what happens. Boat is actually and hour from here at the lake house.

EricNCSU1204
09-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Jesse,
man, that speaker install looks sweeet!..

JesseC
09-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by ericncsu1204

Jesse,
man, that speaker install looks sweeet!..

Thanks, I appreciate it. It took me a while to choose the speakers. I have been really pleased with the audioformz. When I ordered them I asked him to leave the speaker terminals off and I really liked the "wireless" look.

Buttafewcoe
09-08-2006, 08:12 PM
If you buy speakers w/ the poly-propylene cones, not the paper or even the varnish coated ones, you'll find the performance vg. I put a pair of 6" x 9" 's and drove them with a 600w amp in me old run-a-bout and they lasted for years.
The Sony x-plodes speakers are what I'm gonna replace my factory speakers with when they give up the ghost. Those are poly also
hope this helps
B

seanpatsdad
09-09-2006, 09:44 PM
JesseC
Where did you get the plastic to cover the gap.Thanks.
John

JesseC
09-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by seanpatsdad

JesseC
Where did you get the plastic to cover the gap.Thanks.
John

I bought 13 pieces of Square 8" x 11" 1/8" thich ABS Plastic off of ebay. You can pick it up at your local car stereo installer, but they are kind of proud of it. I called around and they wanted like 5 bucks a sheet and I think I got all 13 pieces of min for 20 bucks off of ebay. Then I had to buy the hole cutter that turned out to be about another 30 bucks. If you need help with any of it, email me at [email protected] put in a subject line Moomba so I don't just delete it!!!

Geoffrey18
09-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Hey AZHeet,, do you still have the empty audioformz for sale and ifso could you email me. Thanks

seanpatsdad
09-12-2006, 02:26 AM
JesseC
Thanks for the info.Probably won't do this upgrade until winter.I'll keep your email.Thanks again.
John