PDA

View Full Version : speaker problems

jj29ca
08-30-2006, 11:48 PM
I took the bow cover off my 03 Outback the other day and noticed that one of my front speakers was laying on the seat. Further inquiry revealed that all four screws were still attached. It appears that the plastic speaker covers have dried out and cracked. The others are about to also let go. Since I barefoot primarily, my boat never sees rough water or any type of hull pounding. This is poor quality and is a Skiers Choice defective product. Has anyone else experienced such a problem. Did Skier's Coice stand behind the problem. I don't want to have to purchase crap speakers to replace these only to have the same problem again in a couple of years. Any suggestions on what speakers will work
Thanks

Nafplio
08-31-2006, 12:13 AM
I have some other things on the waiting list for upgrades (heater and FAE). But when I can, I'd like to upgrade the stock speakers. I think a few members here have used the Polk 6.5''s.

carsondoc
08-31-2006, 11:31 AM
jj, I have an '03 Outback and had the same thing happen to my speakers last summer. Fortunately, I was still under my 36 month warranty so my dealer gave me six new ones. It looks like the same thing is going to happen to them. The cheap plastic just cracks and falls apart with time. My plan was to keep 'em until they look like they're going to fall out, then get better ones. It looks like about a $3-450 fix tho (six new speakers at about $100-150/pair)

Wake Master
08-31-2006, 09:30 PM
I REPLACED MY FACTORY SPEAKERS WITH INFINITY 602M. THE SOUND QUALITY IS MUCH BETTER THAN THE CHEAP FACTORY SPEAKERS.

carsondoc
09-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Hey Wake, does it look like the speaker mounts are going to hold up to some pounding for the next few years? Did they fit the pre-drilled holes? How much, and where? Thanks.

Wake Master
09-01-2006, 07:38 PM
The speakers fit the opening perfect the screw holes are not really a problem you just screw the screws back in. I purchased them from Sounddomain.com they are listed for $149 a pair but if you find them for a lower price they will give you a 105% price gaurantee. I was able to find them for $99 a pair and they matched the price.

jj29ca
09-03-2006, 12:12 PM
I was somewhat amazed that my dealer has them in stock, what does this tell you. Skiers Choice should learn something from this - the more cheap crap that breaks on this boat the less willing I am to buy another.