PDA

View Full Version : 1st scratch

iaonbb
08-30-2006, 06:46 PM
Hey all...a now former buddy of mine scratched the side of my black hull with his wakeboard while flailing around in the water today. Left a nice 3-4" white scratch. I wouldn't say it was very deep though. Feels kinda' rough like sandpaper and just slightly hangs up a fingernail. What worries me is that it is bright white. Could a little shallow scratch like this have gone all the way through the paint? What are my options? Cost? I'm just sick over it :( Thanks yet again to this awesome list!!!

btw~This is all I could find in the archives...

Posted on: 03-10-04 23:12:51

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keaton, the dealer will fix 'em when you trade up to a '05 model. (just kidding). The scratch depth is going to be key in the repair job. If the scratches are just deep enough to hang a fingernail, and have color in the scrarch, sanding with a 1000-1200 grit sandpaper, buffing and polishing should do the trick. However, if the sratch is deep,(jagged edged and white in color), may require some filling with gelcoat, sanded buffed and polished. Some people have experience in doing this on thier own, and do a pretty good job. If you feel uncomfortable with any of these procedures, wait until the boat is put up for winter, and have the dealer repair them. Chances are there will be more added this summer. Don't lose precious ski time with a boat in the shop for a few weeks, when it can be done in the winter/fall when not being used and ready to go next spring, looking like new. Poop happens, dock rash, ski dings, lake trash. I wouldn't worry if it is a cosmetic issue. If you should have a structural issue, this would need to be addressed immediately. Have fun with your boat on the water, not in the shop. Brian Raymond

smokedog2
08-30-2006, 08:10 PM
I put a much deeper shorter gash in the nose of my LSV - down to the fiberglass about the size of your thumb.

It cost about $150 (I try to forget those things) and is now invisible. You could try just buffing it out. I agree – wait until winter.

SD2

Jon
08-30-2006, 08:40 PM
I'd just get some rubbing compound and a buffer and go at it. You should be able to clean it up pretty good with that.

iaonbb
08-31-2006, 04:10 PM
No luck on the rubbing compund...Am I going to hve to resort to nail polish, or should I wait until I have it in and se what the dealer can do with it? Thinking any kind of touchup would make it harder for the dealer to fix?

Wolf-
08-31-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by iaonbb

No luck on the rubbing compund...Am I going to have to resort to nail polish, or should I wait until I have it in and se what the dealer can do with it? Thinking any kind of touchup would make it harder for the dealer to fix?

If you want nigh unto perfection, let the dealer match it.
I put transom shield on the back of mine to protect it from the boards.
Also put the remainder from the roll under the back seat (06 Outback DD). Keeps the kneeboards from nicking under there as well.

I've got two small marks near the horn. An inlaw was "helpful" when docking and pulled the bow into the dock. I'll have the dealer touch it up after winter comes. It hurts me to look at them.