PDA

View Full Version : How important is the Beer/Booze to your boating experience?

trayson
10-25-2017, 04:18 PM
It seems like in our culture that beer/booze is synonymous with boating. I know boaters that couldn't even fathom boating without beer on board.

Honestly, my boating is about music and boardsports (slalom too) and of course being social. Yeah, many or most of my passengers are drinking an alcoholic beverage. And there are plenty of times that I partake. But I'd say that alcohol is only a part of my personal boating experience MAYBE 20% of the time. I could take it or leave it. I have to have my music, I almost always get behind the boat and play. But alcohol could be completely eliminated from my boating and it wouldn't really bother me a bit.

So how about the rest of you? How prominent/important is alcohol in your boating experience?

JASONZ
10-25-2017, 04:45 PM
hahaha - good post ---
We go wakeboarding sometimes in the mornings before work and on Saturday. It's the only time some of my buddy's with rugrats can get out there to ride.
I was telling a friend at work and he asks me "So you are drinking in the morning?" hahaha - like you can't go on a boat without a drink in your hand.
But seriously, when I'm on my boat I might have about 3 beers spaced over a few hours. It's just too dangerous to not be in complete control when you are towing someone and have SUP riders and open water swimmers all over the place in my river.

Stazi
10-25-2017, 04:51 PM
If it's 12pm or close to it and we're boating, then beers are being cracked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_fng_
10-25-2017, 05:38 PM
If riding is the main focus then 1-2 beers at most, usually none. Out with a group then yeah beer from the get go. Beer while on the mountain is a different story, one is cracked on the first ride up!

stevemarich
10-25-2017, 06:06 PM
I don't bring beer on the boat, Im definitely fine if the passengers want to bring it and drink, but don't need beer to have a good time, that's why I bought a boat. So far the drinking that I have done in any of my boats , is when its in the driveway either cleaning it at the end of the day with tunes cranked, or sitting in it in the garage when there is 3 feet of snow outside wishing it was summer again.

Broke Pilot
10-25-2017, 07:09 PM
If it's family day with the kiddos, I might have 1... Linz probly a few more after dealing with kids all day since you have to bring their friends usually. Lol
If it's adult day and not much riding to be done, we park most of the day. But I quit well before everyone for the ride home.
Alcohol can be fun. But if they outlawed it on boats I'd never lose sleep...

deerfield
10-25-2017, 07:19 PM
Water, soda (especially Mountain Dew), iced tea, and fruit juice fill the cooler.

trayson
10-25-2017, 07:26 PM
Water, soda (especially Mountain Dew), iced tea, and fruit juice fill the cooler.

Sounds good to me! (although I usually have 1 of the Rockstar Recovery energy drinks when I'm out on the water. :-D

TrueKaotik
10-25-2017, 08:36 PM
We only drink when at the sand bar and done riding for the day.

Catman
10-25-2017, 08:39 PM
Never allowed alcohol on the boat were always out with the kids don't want them to think its ok to drink and drive Once the boat is docked for the day Different story
"

twkoehn
10-25-2017, 09:42 PM
We never have alcohol on the boat. We always have kids on boat, ours and others, so the cooler is full of water, propel, gatorade, and a couple diet Mt. Dews.

jwl019
10-25-2017, 10:23 PM
I usually pack 1 or 2 in the ice chest for the day along with water/hi-c/cokes/gatorade/etc. I may or may not even drink one when out witb the family. I really like on in the afternoon when the sun starts dropping below the horizon while the last rider for the day is taking his set.

On "big kid" days when out with just friends, they ysually consume several shots/beers and I may actually drink my 1 or 2 I packed.

gravity
10-26-2017, 01:59 AM
Im not a drinker. We never have it on our boat. Nothing worse than some drunk idiot buzzing around the lake pulling his kids on the tube after a few beers. Shit can go wrong fast on the water. People just need to be responsible. So my answer beer/booze are zero part of the boating.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

gravity
10-26-2017, 02:03 AM
Nice to see most people here dont. I think most people that acually ride dont. But the bros that have the boat and would rather crank there music and sit tied up are a different story.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

drb59
10-26-2017, 09:45 AM
I am the driver and responsible for all the riders on my boat. I do not partake. If we are going out later in the day, I make sure not to drink (we are lake front) and wait until the water sports are completed. Then watch out, I partake my fair share! Our lake can get quite busy and it takes a lot of attention to be safe some weekends.

sivs1
10-26-2017, 09:55 AM
Nope, not on my boat.

Ed_Geary
10-26-2017, 10:31 AM
Always had a cooler full of beer and a couple bottles of water

jmvotto
10-26-2017, 10:39 AM
Always had a cooler full of beer and a couple bottles of water like button

reason there is 16 cup holders on wake boats

996scott
10-26-2017, 11:09 AM
We don't drink so it all water, soda, and juices for us.

trayson
10-26-2017, 11:50 AM
I don't like the taste of beer, so it's amusing to me the amount of leftover beer and cider we get after having friends on the boat. We had a get together at our house and supplied all the beer for our guests with leftover 'boat beer'. I just wish I could find a way to make my boat engine run on leftover beer!

I'm actually surprised how many on this thread don't drink on their boats. It just seems so embedded in today's wakeboat culture (but maybe it's just the people I've been around).

Jason05216
10-26-2017, 12:00 PM
I don't drink on the boat. I might have a beer when we go somewhere for lunch, but not on the boat. Too easy to get stopped and getting a BWI here is no different than getting a DWI.

execoll
10-26-2017, 12:08 PM
I don't drink on the boat at all, never have, probably never will. Now a drink on the dock (but still not beer, hate the stuff), watching the sunset and not going out again...yea I'm all about that. Boating is dangerous enough where I'm at with all the yahoos not paying attention without adding alcohol to the mix.

sandm
10-26-2017, 01:12 PM
dreaming of the next boat to replace the one I sold. this is on the short list but they told me I had to wait until after new years to put in an order:

http://www.propellersafety.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/beer-pontoon-boat-walmart.jpg

always had a few or many on the boat. hot summer day and it cools you right down.
I do respect the wishes of those that do not and have had kids on the boat a few times where alcohol was not brought out to ensure all including 'rents of the kids have a worry free good time.

when I had a boat, taking others out for a good time and ensuring they had fun was part of the experience. if it means drinking then fine. if it means not, fine as well.

KG's Supra24
10-26-2017, 01:20 PM
Same as sandm pretty much.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

trayson
10-26-2017, 01:22 PM
when I had a boat, taking others out for a good time and ensuring they had fun was part of the experience. if it means drinking then fine. if it means not, fine as well.

I'm with ya. We have many friends that come along and don't ride behind the boat. There's almost always beer/wine with them. And that's fine. I just find myself not bothering with the alcohol more often than I partake.

KG's Supra24
10-26-2017, 02:01 PM
Seems contrary to others but having a beer and riding aren't mutually exclusive in our boating experience.

Dtbradly
10-26-2017, 02:04 PM
Same here Trayson. Usually not a drop consumed for me while driving. passengers may have 1 or 2 but we dont use it as a floating bar. i can drink at home, have yet to figure out to wakesurf at home but i havent given up

Stazi
10-26-2017, 02:24 PM
I'm honestly surprised that so many people that replied abstain or outright refuse to have beer on their boat. I thought it would be the opposite. I'm not condoning getting plastered and driving around on your boat at all, but not even drinking a beer in the afternoon hours? Weird. We always go out at 7 or 8am for the good water on our lake and obviously don't drink booze during the session, but after we head in and return to the sandbar I. The afternoon it's time to knock back a few. I actually get more perturbed by people that want to drink coffee on the boat, as I'm always worried of them spilling it and it getting into the seats and carpet, which will never really come out. And if you think you're brining hazelnut creamer on my boat, then you're sadly mistaken. Love hazelnuts but the smell of that stuff is nasty. Other no-no is red Gatorade and similar colored soft drinks in fear of staining.
Cheers to all those that partake. [emoji482]

dusty2221
10-26-2017, 02:26 PM
There is always beer on board our boat and usually cheetos, doritos, and whatever other orange chips/snacks you all likely avoid also!

New Guy
10-26-2017, 02:34 PM
Every time even some of the am sesh's. Nothing like cheer'sing the guys after someone nailed a new trick or a little liquid courage for the next set.. I'm not saying I get plaster but I definitely enjoy some beer on the boat.

trayson
10-26-2017, 03:53 PM
I'm honestly surprised that so many people that replied abstain or outright refuse to have beer on their boat. I thought it would be the opposite. I'm not condoning getting plastered and driving around on your boat at all, but not even drinking a beer in the afternoon hours? Weird. We always go out at 7 or 8am for the good water on our lake and obviously don't drink booze during the session, but after we head in and return to the sandbar I. The afternoon it's time to knock back a few. I actually get more perturbed by people that want to drink coffee on the boat, as I'm always worried of them spilling it and it getting into the seats and carpet, which will never really come out. And if you think you're brining hazelnut creamer on my boat, then you're sadly mistaken. Love hazelnuts but the smell of that stuff is nasty. Other no-no is red Gatorade and similar colored soft drinks in fear of staining.
Cheers to all those that partake. [emoji482]

I'm sure for me it's the fact that I don't like the taste of beer or wine. so I'm down to Vodka mixed with whatever I'm otherwise drinking (soda, juice, energy drinks, whatever). And anything mixed with vodka doesn't get much extra taste (unless it's flavored vodka, then I like the Pineapple Ciroc).

It's amazing the stuff that Vinyl Sauce will get out of upholstry. I've had people spill some interesting stuff, and I've bled on my boat. All came out fine. Honestly the stain thing that didn't come out was Bee poop.

Prospersigman
10-26-2017, 04:07 PM
Always beer on board my boat along with jello shots most times as well. We always pack a kids cooler and my wife makes kid friendly jello shots for them, but the kids cooler has Gatorade, water, juice boxes, etc. We always have kids with us from age 7-11 and they make get beer fetchers :cool:

We never get wasted in front of the kids, but to not drink in front of the kids and to hide that from them is not how we roll. Kids are going to be exposed to drinking, we set the example of its okay to drink and drink responsibly once you are 21 here in TX. I'm not trying to make it some big mystery as to what it's like to drink or have a few beers.

Beer always tastes better on the lake with family and good friends!!

dusty2221
10-26-2017, 04:26 PM
What I've learned from this thread is we have more sugar addicts than beer drinkers!

trayson
10-26-2017, 04:29 PM
Always beer on board my boat along with jello shots most times as well. We always pack a kids cooler and my wife makes kid friendly jello shots for them, but the kids cooler has Gatorade, water, juice boxes, etc. We always have kids with us from age 7-11 and they make get beer fetchers :cool:

We never get wasted in front of the kids, but to not drink in front of the kids and to hide that from them is not how we roll. Kids are going to be exposed to drinking, we set the example of its okay to drink and drink responsibly once you are 21 here in TX. I'm not trying to make it some big mystery as to what it's like to drink or have a few beers.

Beer always tastes better on the lake with family and good friends!!

Jello shots are always welcome on my boat!

What I've learned from this thread is we have more sugar addicts than beer drinkers!

Guilty

Prospersigman
10-26-2017, 05:18 PM

Not all of us have the dedication to be sugar and carb free like you Dusty...

I have to work out 5 days a week just to attempt to burn off the beer I drink all summer long on the lake. I usually lean out more in the winter because I am not out on the boat drinking all summer long...i.e. boating is bad for my diet/figure :rolleyes:

dusty2221
10-26-2017, 05:23 PM
Not all of us have the dedication to be sugar and carb free like you Dusty...

I have to work out 5 days a week just to attempt to burn off the beer I drink all summer long on the lake. I usually lean out more in the winter because I am not out on the boat drinking all summer long...i.e. boating is bad for my diet/figure :rolleyes:

HAHA! I fill the void with beer! Russell and Norwood can vouch for that!! And yeah, same problem...I can kill it all winter, as soon as boat season arrives the beer kicks in and reverses all the progress!

stillski
10-26-2017, 05:24 PM
Being a German from New Braunfels Texas, I'm kind of required to be a beer drinker. After a BWI crack down on our lake I became the designated driver and don't really miss it. Seems like it affects my balance too haha. Dockside or in the driveway it's back to my roots!

rdlangston13
10-26-2017, 05:54 PM
I married a catholic. We always have a cooler full of beer and maybe 2 bottles of water per person on our boat and that's it as far as drinks go. Special occasions (Moomba/Supra Jam) we will also have a cooler designated for Jell-O shots. The only time we go out without beer is when my mom and step dad come with us which is maybe once a year. We don't get plastered out on the water but we don't shy away from enjoying our day either lol

Pound
10-26-2017, 06:01 PM
"the fact that I don't like the taste of beer"...
Trayson, I'm gonna need you to surrender your man-card please.

I "enjoy responsibly". with or without kids onboard. with or without others that don't drink. One of my short-list of "happy places" is climbing back in the boat after a good set and cracking open an ice cold beer. I'm a grown man. I drink beer. I smoke cigars, I drink whiskey, I chew tobacco and I cuss.

smorris7
10-26-2017, 07:02 PM
There is always beer on board our boat and usually cheetos, doritos, and whatever other orange chips/snacks you all likely avoid also!

This exactly!

smorris7
10-26-2017, 07:04 PM

I "enjoy responsibly". with or without kids onboard. with or without others that don't drink. One of my short-list of "happy places" is climbing back in the boat after a good set and cracking open an ice cold beer. I'm a grown man. I drink beer. I smoke cigars, I drink whiskey, I chew tobacco and I cuss.

Love it!

RC_Hinojosa
10-26-2017, 07:40 PM

LMFAO!! .....yup

Stazi
10-26-2017, 10:28 PM
Finally, the party crew shows up!

russellsmojo
10-26-2017, 10:46 PM
[Honestly the stain thing that didn't come out was Bee poop.]

How did you know a bee pooped in your boat? Any video of that?

russellsmojo
10-26-2017, 11:09 PM
And I drink just about every time I go out. It is part of the experience for me. The lake is my relaxing place and time. Do I get drunk...rarely (can’t say never on that one). But I don’t drive the boat or the car if I do.

Alcohol does impact performance. During a two hour span one time I went from surf 360’s to not being able to drop the rope and ending with a face plant into wave. Both videos are worth watching with time stamps.

trayson
10-27-2017, 12:58 AM

LOL. I've already got the woman of my dreams. So if my man card's revoked, I guess I'll manage.

And that last line would make a great movie quote.

[Honestly the stain thing that didn't come out was Bee poop.]

How did you know a bee pooped in your boat? Any video of that?

No video, But I know what it looks like. The same way as you can identify bird poop on your car without having seen the bird...

And I drink just about every time I go out. It is part of the experience for me. The lake is my relaxing place and time. Do I get drunk...rarely (can’t say never on that one). But I don’t drive the boat or the car if I do.

Alcohol does impact performance. During a two hour span one time I went from surf 360’s to not being able to drop the rope and ending with a face plant into wave. Both videos are worth watching with time stamps.

I do remember one time trying to surf after having a bit to drink. it was difficult to say the least.

kaneboats
10-27-2017, 08:52 AM
I'm a grown man. I drink beer. I smoke cigars, I drink whiskey, I chew tobacco and I cuss.

Got room for you any time you wanna hang out!

RC_Hinojosa
10-27-2017, 09:20 AM
I'm a grown man. I drink beer. I smoke cigars, I drink whiskey, I chew tobacco and I cuss.

Robert..... if you need a place to drink, smoke, cuss and watch Game 3 tonight, gimme a hollar! GO STROS!!

scotthons
10-27-2017, 12:24 PM
Go Stros is right! If I have DD for the day then it is game on, but that rarely happens these days. The cooler is full of beer for the crew, but I will limit myself to a few until we get off the boat. We tend to get on the water early and off early and then hit it hard.

mmandley
10-27-2017, 03:00 PM
The reason boating and beer/alcohol are associated so much is those two things are connected to a good time.

The reason is they relax you, make it easier to let loose and not be so literal about things.

People tell me all the time they like me better when I drink. Not drink, just drink.

For me I’m very analytical and can be very black and white. The drinking allows me to be more grey

There’s a place for drinking and boating, like there is a place for drinking and going on the town.

The most important is have fun, be responsible, and make those memories for a lifetime.

Poison
10-27-2017, 03:18 PM
Where I live, we have a heat index above a hundred for a good part of the summer. There is nothing like climbing in the boat after a good hard set, taking off the jacket, and opening a cold beer in the sun.

We go out of our way to be the good guys on the lake and be responsible....but drinking is part of the fun for us.

Maybe it is easier for me because my friends are not idiots about it though and we have never had an incident.

bergermaister
10-27-2017, 05:28 PM
How honest should we be here?

I don't think I've ever launched without a well stocked cooler. That's pretty much a crime. We'd run out of gas before we run out of beer. Being the driver 90% of the time I usually keep the suds to a minimum until the riding is done.

HOWEVER when the real riding is done and the kids are back there on the tube for eternity, and I've sworn to not try to end their lives prematurely, I mean what's a guy supposed to do? PASS ME A BEER. Just make sure you keep it low and have that hidden cupholder alongside the helm ready to go.

We don't get stupid but we do have a good time. If we have a boat load of other kids with us I usually refrain until we're done or stopped as I don't want some overly embellished story making it back home to the other parents about their friend's crazy dad drinking, and blasting the stereo and trying to kill them...

rdlangston13
10-27-2017, 11:33 PM
This last summer I came up with a new strategy. Drink Budweiser select 55. It's not really beer, is it?

hawgtitan
10-28-2017, 08:19 AM
We’ve been boating for 10 years now and there has never been a drop of alcohol on our boat. I have such a great time with my family and friends that if alcohol made it any better I couldn’t stand it. That said, I don’t have a problem with anyone doing what they want as long as it doesn’t negatively impact mine or my family’s life or good time on the water! Cheers!

russellsmojo
10-28-2017, 10:52 AM
This last summer I came up with a new strategy. Drink Budweiser select 55. It's not really beer, is it?

NO!

Surf Wagon
10-28-2017, 06:40 PM
This exactly!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkDitto

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jmvotto
10-28-2017, 07:00 PM
NO!

Water with hops

The General
10-28-2017, 11:16 PM
No booze allowed on board up here unless you have a head and permanent birth. That being said, sometimes my wife will slip a can in the cooler as a”treat” for me. I tell my guests that they can bring as much aboard as they are willing to claim/lose if we are stopped by the conservation officers.

Stazi
10-29-2017, 07:00 AM
No booze allowed on board up here unless you have a head and permanent birth. That being said, sometimes my wife will slip a can in the cooler as a”treat” for me. I tell my guests that they can bring as much aboard as they are willing to claim/lose if we are stopped by the conservation officers.

WTF?! What Nazi state do you live in?

rdlangston13
10-30-2017, 12:29 AM

For real, not moving there!

5:00
10-30-2017, 10:25 AM
With kids, never. With friends I may have one but rarely and only if someone else is driving. My boat so still my responsibility. Anyone in our boat can drink as much as they want for all I care.

yearround
10-30-2017, 05:39 PM
No beer on board. we do not drink, so we keep it off. there have been a time or two that someone else has brought them on though.

RC_Hinojosa
10-31-2017, 10:04 AM
I find interesting that no one from Washington, Cali or Colorado will own up to a pre or post sessh bowl....[emoji850] [emoji23]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

patrick232
10-31-2017, 11:14 AM
It depends on the crew and location. If the kids out number the adults no beer on the boat. This may change once the kids get thier boaters certs and can handle the boat, then the better half and I will relax and have them drive. When running the boat with riders out back the amount consumed is very little, once we are in a cove for the day right down from the condo we will relax in the water with a few an hour, but it's mic ultra or coors light and always have a twiner between of water or Gatorade. Labor day of 2016 was drinking funny I will share. My wife does not drink much craft beer at all, but her, her friend, and I shared a pitcher of son of a peach at lunch. Well after lunch the blower went out upon returning to the boat. They decided to grab a 6 pack of son of a peach and split it while I replaced the blower. Well just say they enjoyed they day and it was like having 2 little giggly girls on the boat the rest of the afternoon.

smorris7
10-31-2017, 11:22 AM
No beer, no boat! The only time you will catch us dry is when the wife is on call. Other than that cooler is stocked. I will say that my wife is not much of a drinker and she could take it or leave it on the boat or elsewhere. I however feel naked on the boat without a few adult beverages. Just part of the lifestyle for me. If I’m on the water for the most part there is beer in the cooler. Maybe it’s just a southern thing. Curious as to where all the teetotalers live? CA? PNW? Just curious..

The General
10-31-2017, 01:44 PM

I know right lol. I live in Alberta, Canada.

Stazi
10-31-2017, 02:36 PM
Thought it had to be Canada. Those Canadian water police love to stalk the water-border on Lake Erie and bust any clueless US boaters that cross it and have open beers on board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MMPRES
10-31-2017, 02:56 PM
Beer is always on the boat for us. I have to wait until all wakeboarding is completed before I can crack a cold one. I've attempted riding in the past, even with only one on my stomach, and I am absolute garbage! I save all the beverage consumption for when I'm done (or choose to take a surf set). Momma bear loves frosty beverages on the boat and are definitely a must. Honestly, there's few things better than an ice cold oat soda in the heat of summer out on the water.

yearround
10-31-2017, 07:26 PM
I find interesting that no one from Washington, Cali or Colorado will own up to a pre or post sessh bowl....[emoji850] [emoji23]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hey, I'm in CO, i don't do that either, so it does not ride with me either. there is certainly lots of it around. even this morning on my run at 5:30, someone was out toking up early for work. on the snow last week, getting off the lift about everytime, someone was smoking. I guess they are loading us up with lots of tax money for this, i don't know what they use it for though.

still not used on my boat though. :)

russellsmojo
10-31-2017, 11:43 PM
Hey, I'm in CO, i don't do that either, so it does not ride with me either. there is certainly lots of it around. even this morning on my run at 5:30, someone was out toking up early for work. on the snow last week, getting off the lift about everytime, someone was smoking. I guess they are loading us up with lots of tax money for this, i don't know what they use it for though.

still not used on my boat though. :)

Looking forward to some second hand bong smoke when I come to Colorado skiing in December. [emoji23][emoji23]

bergermaister
10-31-2017, 11:55 PM

If I see someone smoking I'll assume they're on fire and take any means necessary to put them out.