PDA

View Full Version : Max & G23 at Polar Bear

Mobius22
10-20-2017, 03:40 PM
Not sure if it's been posted here or not, but...

Getssum96
10-20-2017, 03:55 PM
Was funnier to see in person! The MAX is no joke.

gravity
10-20-2017, 04:09 PM
Is bigger always better?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

soonerbilly
10-20-2017, 04:15 PM
Anyone have a MAX? That can give real world reviews?

mattsask
10-20-2017, 05:33 PM
Okay, but which one had the better wave?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

sandm
10-21-2017, 02:30 AM
Is bigger always better?

that's what she asked :)

glad to see moomba showing up at the event this time. they were there in '12 but something about lawyers wouldn't let the mojo participate. was a letdown.
now lets hope they brought "real world" ballast with them and have the boat set up for the best wave not the factory setting.
surfed an enzo 244 at the '12 and they didn't bring what the boat really needed to shine. was hands down the biggest bust of the event and heard that from almost everyone.

z28ke
10-21-2017, 09:44 AM
Great photos, really puts the size of the max into perspective!

MJHSupra
10-21-2017, 02:20 PM
Pics made me laugh when they were posted on Facebook. Someone piped in early that the G was awesome and the Max was cheap or junk.
Then a little key-board war started . . . . good old days in the WakeWorld Forum when someone implies something against the G or X.

Funny to compare boats at the 70K vs the 150K level. Even funnier when you can buy two for the price of one.

It will be good to see some videos. Reading the posts, all the boats sounded good.
Good for the Max. The SE already has the great reputation and Ragboy has the boat dialed.
The G has been setting the bar, but good to hear different opinions on riders at the same event.

Getssum96
10-23-2017, 04:46 PM
I was at the event and have no idea why everyone thinks the G wave is so great. I've ridden three of them and been underwhelmed 2/3 times. The boat at the event was the best one I've ridden thus far, didn't have the typical dip/hole in the wave after the transom that the other two did, however it is a VERY steep wake and the skimboarder in our group hated it. I did, however, overhear one of Nautique's riders complaining that the weight wasn't right on the boat/nor were the settings correct.

The main thing that I came away from the event with was that NONE of the 6 boats(7 actually) that I rode at the event had a "bad" wave. All were fun in their own ways, even the crossover Nautique 230. I was very happy to see that the Max held its own and the storage space is ridiculous. Feel free to ask me anything on the event, I'm happy to respond.

sivs1
10-23-2017, 05:05 PM
I was at the event and have no idea why everyone thinks the G wave is so great. I've ridden three of them and been underwhelmed 2/3 times. The boat at the event was the best one I've ridden thus far, didn't have the typical dip/hole in the wave after the transom that the other two did, however it is a VERY steep wake and the skimboarder in our group hated it. I did, however, overhear one of Nautique's riders complaining that the weight wasn't right on the boat/nor were the settings correct.

The main thing that I came away from the event with was that NONE of the 6 boats(7 actually) that I rode at the event had a "bad" wave. All were fun in their own ways, even the crossover Nautique 230. I was very happy to see that the Max held its own and the storage space is ridiculous. Feel free to ask me anything on the event, I'm happy to respond.

Would you buy a Max over the other boats there?

trayson
10-23-2017, 11:12 PM
that's what she asked :)

glad to see moomba showing up at the event this time. they were there in '12 but something about lawyers wouldn't let the mojo participate. was a letdown.
now lets hope they brought "real world" ballast with them and have the boat set up for the best wave not the factory setting.
surfed an enzo 244 at the '12 and they didn't bring what the boat really needed to shine. was hands down the biggest bust of the event and heard that from almost everyone.

they had the max at the polar bear weighted with 3000 pounds of factory ballast and then they added a 750 on each side under the seats. so about 4500 pounds!!! I would love to play on that.

Getssum96
10-24-2017, 12:21 PM
Would you buy a Max over the other boats there?

For my money, I'm not bothered by the MAX not having all the "frills" of the other boats. There are some things that are done for it that I wouldn't do, but you can see that they were done for cost savings. I would not do their tower speakers as I'd want something louder. The MAX Bimini is a little smaller than I'd like, and doesn't have surf pockets, so I'd do something aftermarket. The interior vinyl is all good quality, however there is less detailing and fewer panels than some of the offerings, which makes perfect sense for the lower price point.

If I were considering purchasing ANY of the boats that I rode at the Polar Bear, the MAX would definitely be towards the top of my list, The amount and wave you get for the money is kind of awesome. If you consider that the boat next to it is roughly 2x the cost, you could have a much lower payment or initial cash outlay with the MAX vs the G23. It reminds me of the size and quality of the wave on the Supreme V226 when it first came out, however this being a Skiiers Choice boat it probably won't be a one trick wakesurf pony, and will actually be able to put up a decent wakeboard wake as well. (I've not seen this in person, so it is just a guess based on hull design.

I don't think the MAX will hurt the sales of any of the top tier boats (Supra SE series, Supra SG, Centurion RI257, RI237, Fi23, Nautiques, Mastercrafts,etc.) As if you have the money you'll get what you want. I do see it taking a huge slice out of Axis and maybe Supreme, but Skiiers Choice will have to bump up production numbers as I do believe in the current marketplace demand will outstrip supply.

Bottom line, the MAX is a winner.

trayson
10-30-2017, 10:36 PM
I was thinking about this thread on Saturday
https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26346&d=1508528378

I was rafted up next to my buddy's G23. The difference between my freeboard and his was dramatic. So I'd probably die with the difference between my XLV and a Max if they were floating next to each other!

Picture was taken from the level of my gunwales. No photo trickery.

https://i.imgur.com/Qqd33XV.jpg

And I told him to NOT turn on his bilge pump!!!

jmvotto
10-30-2017, 10:52 PM
Weird how the g23 platform goes across the whole stearn the boat

Not trying to stir the pot but wouldn't a 1000 lb heavier boat sit lower and deeper in the water ?

trayson
10-31-2017, 01:30 PM
Weird how the g23 platform goes across the whole stearn the boat

Not trying to stir the pot but wouldn't a 1000 lb heavier boat sit lower and deeper in the water ?

Yes, the G23 platform is huge. I can say having surfed behind the G23 with stock 3,000lbs ballast many times, that the width of the platform is irrelevant because the platform is never touching the water when surfing or wakeboarding. in fact, the first time I surfed behind the G23, there was no way that I was even going to attempt a platform stop at the end of my surf session because the whole platform was a few inches out of the water and I would have had to hop my board up on it. Since then we've figured ways to either turn the boat a little or to slow the boat enough that the platform gets close enough to the surface of the water to do a platform stop.

As far as draft, I can't really speak to that. Obviously it's plenty possible that boats of 2 different weights would draft equally.

gravity
11-01-2017, 12:08 AM
I think its to the point that all these companies are just trying to make the deepest boat for the sake of being deeper than the other. The g looks like a brick already. Add 4 more inches of freeboard and it is down right hideous on a 23 foot boat. All the inovations these overpriced toys cost you would think they could make them look good going down the lake.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk