PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing a 2008 340 Indmar

JHutch
10-19-2017, 09:21 AM
So I have a couple of questions:

If I run my boat up to temp and drain the water from the Muffler, exhaust hoses, 2 block drains, does that get all the water out? I would like to then run antifreeze through it but I am afraid it will cool off at that point and the thermostat will be closed?

I have had a couple of my neighbors tell me they just run their boat up to temp and then immediately switch to 5 gallons of antifreeze and call it good, that seems a little risky to me?

Any advice welcome as I want to do this myself, last year my dealer charged me $350 to winterize and I thought that was way to much after I had already changed the oil!

trayson
10-19-2017, 03:08 PM
i just drain is all and leave it empty, so there's nothing to freeze.

Kidder522
10-19-2017, 06:02 PM
^^x2. Me as well. Drain it all. Push air thru ballast lines and call it winterized. I also shop vac all the water out so that any water in engine compartment is gone as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHutch
10-19-2017, 08:15 PM
Trayson,

We have the same engine. Would you mind telling me what all you drain?

Stazi
10-19-2017, 09:39 PM
I've always ran the boat to temp and then run antifreeze through until it comes out the exhaust. That way I knew antifreeze was everywhere. Just dumping the manifold and drains doesn't get all the water out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sandm
10-20-2017, 12:31 AM
same engine in an '06 model. did the same winterization for 6 years and never an issue but I don't leave it outside.
the goal of draining is to get most of the water out. you will never get it all out. water expands as it freezes so as long as it expands into the passages and does not meet resistance, nothing will "break".

I drained the following iirc:
-2 plugs- 1 on each side of the engine on the big grey exhaust manifolds. seemed to me that one of the exhaust manifolds had a hose to remove as well but it's been a few years. it was easy to see and remove.
-2 plugs- 1 on each side of the engine block that have a knock sensor attached. down low and a contortionist to get to.
-main hose on the vdrive/trans unit that comes from the water intake. large and double hose clamps
-heater hoses both going and coming.

once all drained I always drove to a dock ramp close to the house and backed the boat down to drain all the water out of the bilge. I figured the trip over and back bounced most of the water out.
some will say this was wrong but I never pull the impeller during winter. I just changed it every other year with a fresh and never had an issue. some will say pull and store but to each their own. .

this was my routine and never an issue with both the ext340 in the supra and followed the same process with the pcm ex343 in the last boat.
good luck

trayson
10-20-2017, 01:34 AM
Trayson,

We have the same engine. Would you mind telling me what all you drain?

Like said above, 1 plug with a knock sensor on each side of the block. port plug on the bottom of the black muffler cross piece. Unscrew the hose that connects the two exhaust manifold risers (by the vdrive). I disconnect a hose that's going to the water pump and a hose that's going to the tranny cooler. I disconnect the hoses that are going to/from the heater. I blow air through all the various openings. basically everything sandm said. In theory there's a drain plug on the vdrive somewhere. I read about it, and it had never been touched. I tried briefly to break it loose, but decided to pass and not mess with it.

Disconnect my ballast bags, drain them and put them in a big rubbermaid bin. Blow more air through hoses. put 3+ fans and some damp rid in the boat to dry out the carpet that never seems to be dry at the end of the season.

Then I cover the boat, and start dreaming of steep, deep powder snowboard days...

JASONZ
10-20-2017, 08:12 AM
I run it. Drain the block (2 plugs) and manifold hose that connects the two manifolds (should have a disconnect).
While the block is draining I quickly disconnect and run compressed air through the heater core.
I then hook up the no-freeze to my indmar water strainer that has a hose connection and run 6-8 GAL through.
It is very nice to have a helper for this job.

Darter
10-20-2017, 01:24 PM
I've been doing some research on the thermostat configuration recently and it sounds like when it's closed, the water enters the engine but isn't allowed to exit to the exhaust. With that setup, the antifreeze will fill regardless. I'm going to try this out next weekend on my 320.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

JHutch
10-22-2017, 11:40 PM
Well did the W today. Here was my process:

Ran boat and changed oil.
Drained exhaust using the hose connection.
Pulled engine block plugs
drained muffler.
pulled intake hose off V Drive and used shop vac to suck water out.(plugs would not budge on V Drive)
Pulled thermostat out and filled block with RV Antifreeze
Started boat and ran 7 gallons of RV Antifreeze though it.

Does that sound like I am good?

One thing I forgot to do was pull the J hose off the water circulating pump and off the raw water impellor. But I did drain the rest of the water and ran 7 gallons through so should not have been much water left to dilute. I am in KY so we don't usually go below 0*.

Stazi
10-23-2017, 06:56 AM
You should be good to gonif you got the antifreeze to come out the exhaust after all what you did. I just did my Raptor yesterday and it's even easier with the closed loop cooling system

MJHSupra
10-23-2017, 12:49 PM
You should be good to gonif you got the antifreeze to come out the exhaust after all what you did. I just did my Raptor yesterday and it's even easier with the closed loop cooling system

Don’t you have a fitting in the new motors to attach a hose?

Stazi
10-23-2017, 01:33 PM
Not that I saw anywhere. [emoji848]

MJHSupra
10-23-2017, 02:19 PM
Not that I saw anywhere. [emoji848]

I think I was looking at the Facebook page and someone who put the Indmar sea strainer/flush kit on.

https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-sea-strainer-flush-kit.html/

DOCDRS
10-24-2017, 06:21 PM
I've always ran the boat to temp and then run antifreeze through until it comes out the exhaust. That way I knew antifreeze was everywhere. Just dumping the manifold and drains doesn't get all the water out.

Dont do this, at temp the thermostat just begins to open. Most of the antifreeze will bypass the engine and go to the exhaust and out the muffler.
If you drain your block then hook up the intake to antifreeze it will fill the block thru the j tube after any water left from the intake ,pre and post impeller hoses and bottom of the jtube have entered the block and diluted the antifreeze. Once the block is filled remaining antifreeze will mix with water left in the exhaust manifolds if they were not drained , then out to mix with any water in the muffler if it was not drained. This is for open cooling systems
I like to drain (shopvac) eveything ( block,heater,pre and post impeller hoses, vdrive , and shopvac out the jtube ( easier to remove top housing hose end than circ pump end ) before sucking up plumbing antifreeze. The antifreeze is overkill but it only takes a few more minutes.

Stazi
10-25-2017, 10:15 AM
Dont do this, at temp the thermostat just begins to open. Most of the antifreeze will bypass the engine and go to the exhaust and out the muffler.
If you drain your block then hook up the intake to antifreeze it will fill the block thru the j tube after any water left from the intake ,pre and post impeller hoses and bottom of the jtube have entered the block and diluted the antifreeze. Once the block is filled remaining antifreeze will mix with water left in the exhaust manifolds if they were not drained , then out to mix with any water in the muffler if it was not drained. This is for open cooling systems
I like to drain (shopvac) eveything ( block,heater,pre and post impeller hoses, vdrive , and shopvac out the jtube ( easier to remove top housing hose end than circ pump end ) before sucking up plumbing antifreeze. The antifreeze is overkill but it only takes a few more minutes.

I forgot to say that I DID always drain the water before running antifreeze through the engine

DOCDRS
10-25-2017, 11:50 PM
I forgot to say that I DID always drain the water before running antifreeze through the engine

Sorry, but was not sure why you would run your boat to temperature before hand......glad you drain before though...... I always hate hearing about cracked manifolds, blocks or heaters in the spring.

JHutch
10-26-2017, 09:52 PM
So DOC your saying that even with the thermostat closed antifreeze will go in the block?

Zim
10-29-2017, 02:55 PM
Just winterized today and made a video. I don't use anti-freeze, never have. I'm in Kansas City, and we see single digit temps and below freezing consistently.

https://youtu.be/TKCIjKWyiPA

Stazi
10-29-2017, 03:47 PM
Just winterized today and made a video. I don't use anti-freeze, never have. I'm in Kansas City, and we see single digit temps and below freezing consistently.

https://youtu.be/TKCIjKWyiPA

I wouldn't make that gamble.

Zim
10-29-2017, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't make that gamble.

To each their own. Been doing it this way since I've owned the boat and never have issues. Many others do it this exact same way.

DOCDRS
11-01-2017, 09:22 PM
So DOC your saying that even with the thermostat closed antifreeze will go in the block?

IF YOU HAVE DRAINED THE BLOCK. YES......NO, IF you have water in your block.

DOCDRS
11-05-2017, 02:39 PM
This is for all the dumb dumbs out there who think they can just suck up 5 gal of antifreeze in their raw water cooled indmars and get all excited when they see pink coming out the exhaust that they have properly winterized their motor.

Water is drawn in thru a large hose by the raw water impeller and sent to the thermostat housing. On empty start up water will pass they the housing to the j tube , down into the circulating pump and into the block filling it to the thermostat which is closed. At this point no more will enter the engine allowing the motor to warm up to temperature. The excess water will be diverted to the exhaust manifold and out thru the muffler. When the engine temperature hits 161 the thermostat will just start to open a bit. 161 degree water will seep out the thermostat allowing impeller water to enter thru the j tube and circulation pump mix with the hot cooling back to 160 where the thermostat will close again or just remain a crack open to maintain 160. At higher rpms and temps the flow will increase and the tstat will open more if needed to maintain 160.
Therefor at idle sucking up 5 gallons of antifreeze, when the block is all ready full,is useless as most will bypass the j tube and go directly to the manifolds.

Now , there is about 3-4 gallons in the block and another 1 in the intake pipes and since any dilution of antifreeze significantly reduces its effectiveness these need to be drained

Also note that it takes 2-3 times longer for your oil to come up to temperature so it to has a cooling effect on the block coolant even when it first reaches 160

Shoebox
10-19-2018, 02:14 AM
I drained all the water out of the system, and replaced all the hoses and plugs. I want to fill it with antifreeze. I have a fake a lake, and 7 gallons of antifreeze.

Whats the best way to get antifreeze throughout the system? Just run a hose from the fake a lake into a bucket of antifreeze and let the motor run til it comes out the exhaust?

Then the last question, once the antifreeze is in the motor, spray fogging oil into the throttle body to fog the motor?

Darter
10-19-2018, 08:21 AM
Yes, use a 5 gallon bucket with your fake a lake. Remove the spark arrestor first and fog near the end of the antifreeze pickup.

Darter
10-19-2018, 08:22 AM
If you have catalytic converters, do not fog.

larry_arizona
10-19-2018, 09:45 AM
Never been a fan of fogging.

Shoebox
10-19-2018, 11:57 AM
If you have catalytic converters, do not fog.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using TapatalkThanks. Good to know.

zabooda
10-19-2018, 02:02 PM
I got on this thread late but it is a repeat every year at this time. After 30 some years of having an inboard, I never used antifreeze. In fact, the use of RV antifreeze is rather recent and was originally used for shops to prevent people from coming back with claims. There was nothing to prevent people from using the boat after it was winterized and then failing to re-winterize. Some shops would leave lines disconnected and expect you to come back in the spring but that wasn't always the case. The antifreeze will reduce internal corrosion since the compartments are void of air but I never had any corrosion so bad as to replace any parts. Antifreeze is money and time spent with very little value added.

Shoebox
10-19-2018, 02:06 PM
I got on this thread late but it is a repeat every year at this time. After 30 some years of having an inboard, I never used antifreeze. In fact, the use of RV antifreeze is rather recent and was originally used for shops to prevent people from coming back with claims. There was nothing to prevent people from using the boat after it was winterized and then failing to re-winterize. Some shops would leave lines disconnected and expect you to come back in the spring but that wasn't always the case. The antifreeze will reduce internal corrosion since the compartments are void of air but I never had any corrosion so bad as to replace any parts. Antifreeze is money and time spent with very little value added.I'm doing it for extra peace of mind, since this is the first time I've not paid a shop to winterize (I looked at that as basically an insurance policy). $20 worth of antifreeze is cheap peace of mind.

Stazi
10-19-2018, 03:51 PM
I'm doing it for extra peace of mind, since this is the first time I've not paid a shop to winterize (I looked at that as basically an insurance policy). $20 worth of antifreeze is cheap peace of mind.

Smart man

larry_arizona
10-19-2018, 04:47 PM
$50k to $150k boats......yeah $20 to $50 antifreeze is cheap and well worth it.

Also I learned freeze ratings are a bit misleading and you should understand what they mean. Worthy of a quick read.

http://newcontent.westmarine.com/content/documents/pdfs/LIT136_V5.pdf

Shoebox
10-19-2018, 07:34 PM
So I hooked up the fake a lake on the intake and filled a bucket with antifreeze, but it doesn't seem to be drawing the antifreeze into the hose or engine. I don't want to keep it running and damage something.

Am I missing something?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
10-20-2018, 09:12 AM
Guessing you have an air bubble.

Ideally you would want to raise the bucket high enough to fill the hose and fake a lake plunger.

A fake a lake typically is fed via water pressure from a water source.

Assuming you have a open cooling system, if so.......

Pretty sure you want to hook the garden hose to your fake a lake and run engine until your thermostat opens, then you would put antifreeze through it.

I personally would pull the water intake hose and gravity feed the antifreeze through it as you run the engine......think of a giant beer bong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181020/42c5b33a3af4228a6c2dd627b23039b7.jpg

Stazi
10-20-2018, 03:43 PM
I sit my antifreeze tank on top of my roller trash can so it it up high.

Shoebox
10-20-2018, 05:20 PM

Ideally you would want to raise the bucket high enough to fill the hose and fake a lake plunger.

Pretty sure you want to hook the garden hose to your fake a lake and run engine until your thermostat opens, then you would put antifreeze through it.

I personally would pull the water intake hose and gravity feed the antifreeze through it as you run the engine......think of a giant beer bong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181020/42c5b33a3af4228a6c2dd627b23039b7.jpgWhat did you use for the hose bib?

larry_arizona
10-20-2018, 05:24 PM
What did you use for the hose bib?

RAINPAL RBS022LF Brass Rain Barrel Spigot(Solid Brass Quarter Turn Valve w/Bulkhead Fitting) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I6WCQTG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_3Z5YBbTX97TW8

Shoebox
10-20-2018, 05:25 PM
Perfect, thanks!

DOCDRS
10-22-2018, 10:50 PM
Guessing you have an air bubble

Sent from my iPhone using

the thermostat lets coolant out of the motor. If you want to add plumbing antifreeze you have to drain the block first. All the new coolant will enter the block primarily thru the j tube and circ pump. You have to drain the block . I just did this and just stuck a 1 inch hose inside the hose running from the vdrive to the impeller into a plumbing antifreeze bucket and it took about 20 seconds to pull 5 gallons into the system.

parrothd
10-23-2018, 01:06 PM
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vnaom8zXKZdSkMQf8

Shoebox
10-27-2018, 08:12 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181020/42c5b33a3af4228a6c2dd627b23039b7.jpgI got the rain barrel spigot, mounted it on a bucket, and hooked it up to the fake a lake and set the bucket on the swim step. When I put it in neutral and bumped up the rpms a bit, it sucked the antifreeze through like a champ. Sucked up about 5.5 gallons before it started coming out the exhaust.

Worked great, thanks for the tip!

web
11-02-2018, 02:28 PM
Has anyone used windshield washer fluid. Freeze point is very low

larry_arizona
11-02-2018, 04:17 PM

I don’t recommend alcohol based AF

DOCDRS
11-04-2018, 12:21 AM

Alcohol is quite volatile and subject to flashing off in an open environment thus reducing its effectivemess. Plus its not much cheaper than plumbing antifreeze

MJHSupra
11-04-2018, 07:55 PM

Never heard of that.