PDA

View Full Version : Buffing/Sanding Waxing Process and Materials Question

jimmylsv
10-14-2017, 05:04 PM
I take great care of my 2006 LSV, it's navy blue and shines. I spent about $1,000 last year having it deep buffed and it shines like new? I always get great info here on things. This question is for my left in elements center console fishing boat. It is all white fiberglass Key Wesy left outside and when you run your hand on it will leave a white challk on your hand. I think it's called oxidation.
I'm Capable of buffing sanding waxing etc. I would like to do myself because I don't want to spend a lot of money having it done by a professional. And it's a great welll worn boat that just needs a stripping or buffing or both. If you could list the process and products you have used that would be great

Thanks
Jim

kaneboats
10-17-2017, 01:33 PM
Do a search on "wet sand" and "buff" and see what you get. Usually it's best to remove the oxidation with a fine sandpaper like 1000 grit, then go to 1200 and maybe 1500 paper. Then get out the buffer and hit it with rubbing compound, then polishing compound. When it's all shiny and new you put a wax coat on it. You'll find lots of opinions on products.

Here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZexSavaT4tY

jelmhorst
10-18-2017, 09:17 AM
If you had a lot of the hard work done last season then you should only need a touchup and the Meguire's 3 pack [$40 on amazon] for oxidatation, shine, and wax work well enough for me on my black hull. Can never go wrong with 3M products if you can pony up.

5:00
10-18-2017, 10:16 AM
I went a whole other direction with my project. Last spring my boat was the custom color "chalk" white. To my knowledge it had never been polished in at least 7 years and maybe not before that. I managed with an electric buffer to get every single blemish off of that hull. I got off every black mark, blemish and who knows what that was on it. I was amazed with the results. We pulled the boat for winterizing, washed it down and it was still shining like it was in spring. I am pretty happy even without waxing it during the summer.

I used Chemical Guys products out of California http://www.chemicalguys.com/Boat_Marine_and_RV_s/621.htm

They are known for car detailing and they have a marine line. This was my first time doing it and I thought I would take a chance with them and it worked out well. They have three different steps from heavy to light cut plus polish and other products. This way you can pick what is needed for your situation rather than a one size fits all. I used all three which meant buffing the whole boat three times but it worked better than I thought it would. I had some serious oxidation. The price was right, the products worked and would recommend for sure. I got 100% of my stuff from them. I got their buffer which was made for pros. It is really nice but way overkill for what I am doing and you can get something way cheaper. I still saved a ton on having someone else do it ($1,300 locally) so I don't really care. They are worth checking out.

996scott
10-18-2017, 04:22 PM
I really like Chemical Guys stuff.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?28743-tried-some-new-boat-compount-polish-wax&highlight=chemical+guys