PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the total audio system in 97 out back

web
10-08-2017, 02:32 PM
Guys, this winter I plan on replacing .my total system the speakers still sound good but are 20 years old. Amazing what you can get use to.

I know nothing about audio systems, head units.

Ideas?

MLA
10-08-2017, 06:07 PM
My first question would be, are you looking to just freshen up the system or more of an upgrade? Next, would be whats the system consist of now, like how many speakers, woofer, tower speakers, amp(s), etc?

Traditional head unit wise, I like the Clarion M303 or M505. In the price range of the M505 but a step up IMO, I like the Fusion RA-70I (or NI of you want remotes). For a non-traditional head unit, check out the Kicker KMC10 or KMC2

I always like suggest considering a woofer. Even a 10" with a couple hundred watts of power can make a world of musical difference in any system.

I highly suggest an external amp to drive the speaker, rather then the head unit. Dont need a ton a power to make a difference in the speakers performance, especially when underway.

web
10-08-2017, 09:03 PM
I want to upgrade as everything is original speaker (4) are Sony 6.5 mp-650 and head unit is Sony cassette deck. No amps or tower speakers. (Yet) right now thinking of JL (mx650) speakers. Maybe Kicker? The head unit has no RCA jacks so it must go.
I do want a sub, amps all the upgrades

russellsmojo
10-08-2017, 10:40 PM
About how much do you want to spend? Do you want to jam at party cove? Do you want great sound at wakeboard distance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

web
10-09-2017, 08:40 AM
Wakeboard distance.. I don't want to blow my ears out but I want a good sounding system. Maybe $2,000

Without tower speakers

MLA
10-09-2017, 09:59 AM
The JL MX650 is a great sounding speaker for sure, and the Kicker KM654LCW is also a good sounding speaker that is well built as marine speaker from the ground up. White or charcoal grill and with or without RGB LEDs. In that same price range and power handling class, is also the Wet Sounds XS/SW 65ic. A couple difference grill options as well as LEDs available.

With only 2 pair, id consider adding a 3rd pair.

Depending on the woofer you choose, id look at go with either a 5 or 6 chnl amp to drive the in-boats and woofer. All quality options from Wet Sounds, JL and Kicker.

Once you are ready to do the tower setup. Go with an 8" HLCD like the Wet Sounds Rev-8 for solid wake range projection and still go quality near field sound quality. To take it to the next level for the best all around projection and near field sound quality, go with the larger HLCD like the 10" Rev-10 or similar. More output, deeper mid-bass. Tower set would likely need its own dedicated amp, once that choice is made.

russellsmojo
10-09-2017, 10:05 AM
MLA, what do you think the mx650 works best at? Calls for like 75-90 Watts. Assume they can take more than that.

KnoxMojo
10-09-2017, 11:35 AM
MLA mentioned the fusion head unit, that's an excellent choice as you can have control over 3 zones of sound, ie cabin speakers, towers and sub. With a $2k price range, you mention without towers? You are selling yourself short. Shop around, find deals, look for solid used gear and check out Wetsounds, JL, Kicker and Exile specials to get high grade equipment at a deal. I was able to piece together my entire system sans head unit for under $2k. That being said, I already had the infrastructure installed, so think about that. I am sure the stereo heads on here would recommend a dual battery setup with a perko, high quality speaker and rca cables, a distribution block and some other items needed for a clean great sounding system. Plus install and tune. Best of luck! Enjoy the journey!

zabooda
10-09-2017, 12:00 PM
2x the double battery.

web
10-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Great info. Keep it coming

MLA
10-09-2017, 05:18 PM
@russell,

The mx650 will perform just fine on a 50W rms amp and I would not hesitate to use an amp in the 100W rms range, turned correctly. Lots of great amps in that price range.

@ web

A quick check, $2K can get you all new gear with fill warranty, consisting of, for example, Wet Sounds Syn-DX6 amp, 3 pair jl MX650, Revo-12 woofer and grill. Leaves for the install incidentals even. This is using straight retail (not factory any package discounts) off the manufacturers sites. This would be ROCKIN system with a 600W 12" and 3 pair of 6.5's @ 100W rms for each.

russellsmojo
10-09-2017, 05:48 PM
MLA - I have an m800/8v2 is why I asked. Wondered if that amp was giving 6 mx650 and two tweeters enough watts running at 4 ohms. Thanks

MLA
10-09-2017, 05:59 PM
Perfect setup. All 8 chnl running at 4 ohm with a solid 75W rms @ 4 ohm (at 14.5V)

russellsmojo
10-09-2017, 06:45 PM
Perfect setup. All 8 chnl running at 4 ohm with a solid 75W rms @ 4 ohm (at 14.5V)

Thanks. Sorry for briefly hijacking thread @web