PDA

View Full Version : Storing 4 + hours away, thoughts?

sivs1
10-06-2017, 11:59 AM
Okay, am debating on storing my boat 4 hours south of me over winter. I will be in the area after we go to Lake Powell and then again in March, so would just be for winter while not in use.

The advantages I see are it's a warmer climate and the fully enclosed unit is almost half of what I would pay locally.

The disadvantages I see are the boat would not be in my garage like it is now, so no winter mods, which I currently do not have any planned, but that can easily change. Security of not being close.

Who stores far from home and what are your overall thoughts?

Thanks

5:00
10-06-2017, 01:48 PM
I store almost two hours away. The drawback for me is not having it here for upgrades. In March I bring it back up north and start working on mods for the spring. I have no garage here so it sits in the elements and I can only work on it when it isn't freezing cold out. So I get about two months to work on it which is usually plenty. Winterizing tomorrow.

Darter
10-06-2017, 01:55 PM
Ours is 2 hours away in a neighbor's garage by the cottage. No visits from Nov-Mar, so it only gets off-season attention the weekend we close the cabin, and the weekend we open it.

I don't have a garage locally that's deep enough for it, so if we bring it here, it's in the elements.

Broke Pilot
10-06-2017, 02:10 PM
If you're not gonna touch it thru the off season I'd say go for it. But I'm also cheap... lol

c h r i s
10-06-2017, 04:17 PM
We’ve never had ours home, +3hours away. I do take all of the ballast bags and cushions home to sit in our unfinished basement on wire shelving racks.

Definitely sucks when it comes to off season mods.