PDA

View Full Version : adhesive for moomba decals

Birdman
09-25-2017, 07:21 PM
sooo.... im gonna remove my splash graphic in order to do that properly i believe i will have to take my moomba chrome decals off what kind of adhesive is used to re apply these or what have you guys done with this?

MJHSupra
09-25-2017, 08:11 PM
sooo.... im gonna remove my splash graphic in order to do that properly i believe i will have to take my moomba chrome decals off what kind of adhesive is used to re apply these or what have you guys done with this?Probably need to find out who makes them. They come from SC as letters where you peel the paper off the back to apply.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Birdman
09-25-2017, 09:46 PM
i know where to buy them online for lil over 200 a side buy if i could just buy something to re apply them that would be ideal i would hop there is something i could use that wouldn't harm the jell coat

Birdman
09-25-2017, 10:07 PM
did a little research does anyone see a problem with using 3m super 77 spray adhesive?

jmvotto
09-25-2017, 11:02 PM
Hopefully you can get them off without damage , I have seen problems with the DIY aftermarket installs

My splash graphics don't touch my chrome moomba lettering

BT_48170
09-26-2017, 07:34 AM
I removed my decals and splash graphics last year, the previous owner didn't believe in bumpers and both were chewed up pretty good. I thought about adding the moomba letters or a graphic after but ended up liking it without both better.

wolfeman131
09-26-2017, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=jmvotto;316522]Hopefully you can get them off without damage /QUOTE]

unfortunately, they will probably get destroyed when trying to remove

MJHSupra
09-26-2017, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=jmvotto;316522]Hopefully you can get them off without damage /QUOTE]

unfortunately, they will probably get destroyed when trying to remove

I agree with this. Better to remove, buff/clean-up the area, then reapply new letters or graphics.

MJHSupra
09-26-2017, 01:56 PM
I removed my decals and splash graphics last year, the previous owner didn't believe in bumpers and both were chewed up pretty good. I thought about adding the moomba letters or a graphic after but ended up liking it without both better.

Did you have the chrome or black letters?

BT_48170
09-26-2017, 02:24 PM
Chrome. Oh yeah I agree with what everyone said above about them getting damaged when you take them off, not sure how you would do that or you would have to go so slow that it wouldn't be worth it.

Birdman
09-26-2017, 08:12 PM
ok thanks guys

jmvotto
09-26-2017, 11:33 PM
You might be able to trim around the chrome moomba with exactly knife to get graphics off , seems time consuming either way

sandm
09-26-2017, 11:42 PM
not sure how they are applied but I have de-badged almost every new vehicle I have owned in the last 15 years and most recently the silverado. they are the "chrome" plastic stick on letters.
apply some heat to soften the adhesive backing being careful not to melt the letters and use some strong dental floss to slide between the gelcoat and the letters. that usually does the trick to get them off in a single piece. once off, use goo gone to clean up all the original adhesive on the back side and buy some 3m double sided tape from a paint supply store for just this type of work.
it's a slow, time consuming process if you want them in 1 piece. I have lots of broken random letters that may or may not spell silverado leftover :)

MJHSupra
09-27-2017, 07:13 PM
Chrome. Oh yeah I agree with what everyone said above about them getting damaged when you take them off, not sure how you would do that or you would have to go so slow that it wouldn't be worth it.

See if you can order the black-out letters for your boat from a dealer.
If you are into having the name on there, the black would look good with the yellow. Not chrome.

trayson
09-28-2017, 11:38 AM
Typically badges are held on with 3m double sided foam trim tape. Like this:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/3m-super-strength-molding-tape-7-8-x-5-ft-03615/7100051-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=7100051-P&c3apidt=25658205532&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI--Xc7JnI1gIVDTNpCh2oPAMLEAQYAyABEgJHL_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

That said, I've used the 3m spray adhesive on various projects. The spray adhesive works best if you spray it on both surfaces, wait for it to get tacky, than put them together. So it would be tough to get it sprayed on the gelcoat without overspray, but I suppose it could be possible with enough time and effort.

What Sandm said was pretty on point though. Most people wouldn't bother though. Also, as you peel off the decals, trying to cut with a razor knife as jmvotto suggested would be plausible too.

Good luck and I admire your determination. :-)

flynnva
09-28-2017, 03:57 PM
I do like Sandm but use fishing line to cut through the 3m tape. Once the letter is removed I use a heat gun, rubbing alcohol, adhesive remover and/or some auto wax to get the rest of the tape off with various amounts of success with each. At that point it's easy work just time consuming.