PDA

View Full Version : Raptor engine longevity

Broke Pilot
09-23-2017, 09:25 PM
Well... time is coming. Linz and I went boat shopping today, found a Supra SA we really like. My only hang up with a moomba/Supra is the raptor motor. I'm not a ford fan first off, so that doesn't help. But in my years of building and working on vehicles, the one engine I refuse to touch ever again is any modular ford motor. 4.6, 5.4 etc... I've just never had any luck with them, they always break something, usually valvetrain related due to oil starvation and hot spotting.
So, how are they holding up in the boats being aluminum with a closed cooling/radiator system? Any recurring issues y'all are seeing? The dealers are no help, they'll tell you anything. Lol
I'm torn between the Supra and a centurion ri237 since they use PCM (chevy LS) engines, but the centurion for and finish just isn't there for the $$ they want.

Stazi
09-23-2017, 09:39 PM
I can tell you coming from the older GM based Indmar engines that the new Raptor is an impressive power plant with tons and tons of torque and it is very smooth running. I have 97hrs on my and the oil looks like is clean and unused. Never saw that with a Chevy V8 ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broke Pilot
09-23-2017, 09:50 PM
You have the 400 or 440?
There is a '16 SA550 worlds edition(?) brand new over in Austin I've been watching but I'm pretty sure I don't want a blower. Seems like more maintenance on a boat that really doesn't need that much power.

Stazi
09-23-2017, 10:14 PM
400. And when running a ton of ballast for surfing, the power is DEFINITELY needed. Don't fool yourself, the load on these engines wit these newer heavier surf machines is huge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Broke Pilot
09-23-2017, 10:22 PM
Oh I completely agree, I was reading the SA with a trailer, dry is over 7k pounds in the real world! The boat alone weighs what my boat/trailer weigh combined.
But, at the same time, my 7k pound boat when sac'd oit has no problem with my 340hp 5.7 with my acme prop. I'm not a skier anymore and my family only wants to board, so top speed is not a concern.
On a side note, I was scrolling thru indmar website and saw a Raptor 460? Who is getting that motor? Sounds like it'd be a good middle choice without the blower...

Other than that, anyone else with any Raptor issues?

KnoxMojo
09-23-2017, 11:18 PM
245 hours on my 15 Mojo with the 400, no issues to report. I think having the correct prop for your application is a must. The 460 you are asking about may be a Malibu engine, they run some different 6.2 options like a 410.

mattsask
09-24-2017, 12:02 AM
170 flawless hours on my 2016. I run it slammed with 4500# plus passengers pretty much all the time.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

tater
09-24-2017, 07:13 AM
245 hours on my 15 Mojo with the 400, no issues to report. I think having the correct prop for your application is a must. The 460 you are asking about may be a Malibu engine, they run some different 6.2 options like a 410.

I don't know about Malibu but the 460 is an option on the Tige RZX series Tige is the only manufacturer that I have seen that has this motor available, Strange !!!

shockthis
09-24-2017, 10:50 AM
I just came from a PCM 343 engine, they seem to be good but you need change the oil every 50 hrs. They came out with a service bulletin that if you where running heavy loads for surfing and boarding that you need to change it a every 30 hrs. I changed it at 30-40 , what a pain.I did get pretty dirty pretty fast. We Typically put 120 hrs on a summer .I am looking forward to the raptor as I believe they suggest changing it every 75hrs.

mattsask
09-24-2017, 11:24 AM
I just came from a PCM 343 engine, they seem to be good but you need change the oil every 50 hrs. They came out with a service bulletin that if you where running heavy loads for surfing and boarding that you need to change it a every 30 hrs. I changed it at 30-40 , what a pain.I did get pretty dirty pretty fast. We Typically put 120 hrs on a summer .I am looking forward to the raptor as I believe they suggest changing it every 75hrs.I'm pretty sure my manual says every 50 hrs. It's quite dirty at that point, Not sure I'd run it longer than that even if they did recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Stazi
09-24-2017, 11:29 AM
Like I said, my oil looks like it was just changed and is crystal clear. I'm impressed, plus the way this thing jumps on plane is amazing.

BigOrange
09-24-2017, 02:00 PM
I'm running stock prop and never seem to have trouble getting on plane or anything. I have the 400. My question: what rpm range for surf or wakeboard should I be worried about? In other words-- if it consistently runs above x -- I should consider re-prop?

Stazi
09-24-2017, 09:30 PM
If the boat struggled to reach 12mph with all the ballast surfing, the. You probably need to reprop to a lower pitch

russellsmojo
09-24-2017, 09:34 PM
The SA in 400 is fine. The occasional outing with full crew and advanced wakeboard setting it could struggle. The 440 would fix that and could help resale if someone just thought they needed it. If you are looking at 2018 I would do 440 and negotiate like crazy.