PDA

View Full Version : 06 OUTBACK VAPOR LOCKING

SHANE1300
08-28-2006, 02:45 PM
I BOUGHT A 06 OUTBACK V A WEEK BEFORE MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND, THE FIRST TIME I HAD IT IN THE WATER IT VAPOR LOCKED AND WOULD NOT START FOR ABOUT 2 HOURS AFTER A RUN OF ABOUT 20-30 MINUTES. IT HAS SINCE DONE THIS A COUPLE OF TIMES AND THIS WEEKEND WHICH REALLY THREW A MIX IN MY BOATING THIS WEEKEND BECAUSE IT SAT FOR ABOUT 3 HOURS THIS TIME BEFORE STARTING AGAIN, THIS IS REALLY STARTING TO GET TO ME. HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE...

AND WHY CAN YOU NOT GET YOUR WARRANTY WORK DONE IF YOU BUY YOUR BOAT OUTSIDE OF A LOCAL DEALER? IF THEY DONT HAVE WHAT YOU WANT WHY SHOULD THAT EFFECT YOUR WARRANTY EVEN IF IT WAS FROM ANOTHER DEALER?

IF IT TAKES 6-8 WEEKS TO PLACE A ORDER.....

DO YOU THINK MOOMBA SHOULD PAY LABOR RATES FOR WARRANTY WORK REGARDLESS IF YOU BUY YOUR BOAT 3 MILES AWAY OR 300?

SHANE1300
08-28-2006, 02:52 PM
SORRY I FORGOT TO ADD:

MY CLOSEST DEALER SAID HE WOULD NOT DO ANY WARRANTY WORK, BECAUSE OF THE FACT I DROVE OUT OF STATE TO BUY A MOOMBA BOAT AND NOT FROM HIM, WHEN I CALLED AND ASKED IF HE HAD WHAT I WANTED AVAILABLE, HE NEVER EVEN MENTIONED THAT A TRADE WAS POSSIBLE FROM ANOTHER DEALER OR EVEN THAT HE WOULD LOOK FOR ONE SO I FOUND WHAT I WANTED AND BOUGHT IT AND NOW I HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE ISSUE THAT IF IT REQUIRES WARRANTY WORK I HAVE TO DRIVE 6 HOURS TO THE DEALER I BOUGHT IT FROM!

WHY?????

Smrtz
08-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Hey Shane,

I know the situation sucks! But stick around the board here you will be surprised at the help you can get from the members here. One thing I certainly recommend is that you dont use all caps when writing a message... its considered YELLING!

I would try contacting Rick @ SC about this matter.

"Without getting the dealer in trouble. You can email me privately on this at [email protected]. I would be glad to delicately look into this.

Rick"

Hope this helps, make sure you let us know how things turn out for you (in lower case...lol)

Cheers!

SHANE1300
08-28-2006, 03:20 PM
sorry no more YELLING!

i will get in contact with him..

Thanks
Shane;)

SHANE1300
08-28-2006, 04:25 PM
WOW!

These guys work fast.

Have already spoke with Reed from moomba, and they are on it to resolve the issue.

I can't tell you how much i appreciate the quick work guys!!

thanks, thanks, thanks...:)

smokedog2
08-28-2006, 05:10 PM
In the time it took to put this together your problem was solved but I will add it anyway.

Fuel filter more likely - vapor lock is rare. Carb or FI - def not VL if fuel injected.

Water in the tank is also possible, try a water eater first, and filter second. My third (maybe first) pick would be a loose battery cable (ground first guess) or a POS battery (I do not think they come with batteries, the quality of the battery is dependent on the quality of the dealer). Then go work the dealer.

Part of the warrantee issue is compensation. The dealer is paid less for warrantee work by SC than they bill you. If the dealer is selling all his boats then he is busy with those customers and hopefully they come first. My dealer went out with me on my first run and made several minor but helpful adjustments you’re just not going to identify in the shop. That cost of “learning the boat” came in the boat price. That time, not trivial, is part of buying the boat but the bill “fix vapor lock” is likely to take a few hours on the water or trial and error. Both not well compensated under warrantee.

Intermittent problems are the worst to find and fix and the dealer is likely certain it is not vapor lock.

I’m sure Rick can “solve” this problem but you might be better served taking another run at the dealer with a better appreciation for their position, and try to get their goals aligned with your own. You are hopefully going to have this boat a long time.

I’m glad Rick could help. Try my top three, it may save you a trip.

SD2

08-29-2006, 11:44 AM
I am not trying to ruffle any feathers here because i love my boat, ust needed a few issues resolved, and they have been taken care of by the guys at SC and greatly appreciate it........

you are correct that the dealer should help his customers, and i thank you for the helpful hints to see if they solve the problem....

like i said i started of on the wrong foot here and appologized, the same way i hope you dont take this in the wrong way.

rick and reed are great and worked very fast to resolve my issues and to them my hats off. they did a wonderful job and i believe they cleared up the confusion between myself and my local dealer..

thanks agian guys for what you did!!!!!!
A+A+A+A+A+A+A+A+A+A+A+A+A+:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

lowdrag
08-29-2006, 09:00 PM
While vapor lock isn't as prevalent as it was in the past it's still a problem. I've got an '06 and have definitely diagnosed my engine problems as vapor lock with the use of a fuel pressure gauge. Since looking for help I've heard from several others with similar problems on new or almost new boats. As mentioned it can be a hit and miss thing and is pretty difficult for the dealer to troubleshoot. Mine never did have any luck getting it to happen when he had the boat. One thing I can say is take a video camera out with you so you have some documentation of the engine running rough, not starting, etc.

If you have any problems getting things figured out, send me a message. I can walk you through some steps on how to make sure it's vapor lock or not.

On another note with your dealer problem. From my understanding, if it's an engine problem, you could actually take the boat to any dealer that handles boats with Indmar engines to get warranty work done.