PDA

View Full Version : Rookie trailering question

Dtbradly
09-22-2017, 09:58 AM
So i am taking my first boat out for the first time ever this weekend. played around at home with driving it and immediately learned about surge brakes. Here is my question. Seems like most recommend unplugging trailer lights from the truck before going down the ramp but that would enable the surge brakes. So does everyone use that freakin little key every time they go down the ramp?? Trying to find out the best method so as not to look like a total newb on the ramp. Thanks guys

KG's Supra24
09-22-2017, 10:08 AM
Leave it plugged in.

VA LSV
09-22-2017, 10:12 AM
The 5th wire on the trailer plug is to disable the brakes in reverse.

JASONZ
09-22-2017, 10:13 AM
I don't think anyone unplugs the trailer when backing down the ramp.
My tip is don't rush, just back up slow. Enjoy the new ride!

Kidder522
09-22-2017, 10:14 AM
Yep. Leave it plugged in and reverse down the ramp.

bluice311
09-22-2017, 10:14 AM
I asked my dealer the same question, as our previous boat/trailer did not have brakes. We would always unplug the harness to avoid any electrical shorts (1997 trailer).

He said to leave it plugged into the vehicle and only to use that key in emergency situations. The LED's are sealed (unlike older bulb lights) and for people with the runway lighting on the trailer it requires that the harness is connected to vehicle.

wolfeman131
09-22-2017, 10:15 AM
Going down the ramp won't engage the surge breaks. Trying to back up an incline without being plugged in will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattsask
09-22-2017, 10:17 AM
I leave my lights plugged in every time.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

DFTR Josh
09-22-2017, 10:17 AM
So i am taking my first boat out for the first time ever this weekend. played around at home with driving it and immediately learned about surge brakes. Here is my question. Seems like most recommend unplugging trailer lights from the truck before going down the ramp but that would enable the surge brakes. So does everyone use that freakin little key every time they go down the ramp?? Trying to find out the best method so as not to look like a total newb on the ramp. Thanks guys
The newer trailers are designed to be dunked while plugged in now a days. As others stated your break release if part of your plug in and you will know when it's not working. Load all your gear in the prep area so when it's time you are just dunking the boat and not taking too much time on the ramp. Take your time, being new to boating it gets stressful. Congrats and good luck with the main voyage.

Darter
09-22-2017, 11:29 AM
I and my dad have never unplugged in the more than 35 years we've had boats. Never an issue.

trayson
09-22-2017, 01:03 PM
Leave it plugged in.

+1

Going down the ramp won't engage the surge breaks. Trying to back up an incline without being plugged in will.

^^^^ This. Your surge brakes activate by compressing the trailer to the tongue. Stretching it by backing downhill won't do anything.

Dtbradly
09-22-2017, 01:05 PM
Well that was an easy consensus, just don't unplug makes it that much easier. Thanks guys.

flynnva
09-22-2017, 07:38 PM
Like everyone else, leave it plugged in. As for the ramp, have everything loaded in the prep area. Take all the time you need to load and unload the boat from the trailer. Nobody gets pissed until you want to load the cooler or go get ice or something like that while on the ramp. I've seen a guy pull up the ramp and put a boat cover on while still blocking the ramp. I couldn't even chew him out because he didn't speak English and that's all I speak (and not very well).