PDA

View Full Version : 2007 LSV winterize short list of must do's?

GregInKS
09-21-2017, 04:51 AM
I am trying to figure out the least I can get away with doing to winterize because $ is short right now and we just didn't use it much this year.

2007 LSV
Only put 20 hours on it this summer
It is stored in an attached garage
Last winterize they changed spark plugs, impeller, battery, oil/filter

I am looking for a short list of must do's is all.

Thanks!

deerfield
09-21-2017, 08:17 AM
Drain the block and water cooled exhaust manifolds.
Change oil and oil filter.
Pull the impeller and store it for the winter.
Pull the battery and store it indoors.

Do everything you can to ensure boat's interior and bilge are dry. Pull the cushions and open hatches. Run a fan. When sure everything is dry, close it up.

Others may have a few more suggestions.

sivs1
09-21-2017, 09:25 AM
My 2006 LSV was very easy to winterize.

While draining don't forget the heater, if you have one.

The whole process minus changing the oil can be done in under 30 minutes.

GregInKS
09-22-2017, 02:15 AM

Do everything you can to ensure boat's interior and bilge are dry. Pull the cushions and open hatches. Run a fan. When sure everything is dry, close it up.

Does the oil really need changed after only 20 hours? Maybe 5 hours of surfing is all.
I'm going to have to look up how and where to drain everything... I have no idea.

Darter
09-22-2017, 11:43 AM
To spread the expense a bit, just change the oil in spring.

If you used dino oil, would be good to change every season. If you used synthetic, you could stretch that until 50 hours. Dino oil is best changed at least annually even if you don't hit the engine hour intervals.

VA LSV
09-22-2017, 01:06 PM
1/4" pipe plug on each side to drain the block.
Connecting hose at the rear of the manifolds screws apart to drain them.
Two 1/4" drain plugs on the v-drive.
Plug on the passenger side of the muffler.
Blow out ballast hoses.

zabooda
09-22-2017, 10:53 PM
Drain the engine, heater and shower. Treat the gas. Put a tender on the battery. I change oil every couple of years and have less than 50 hours since the last change. Getting the water out is the priority.

sandm
09-23-2017, 03:07 AM

this minus the impeller and treat the gas. you can do all this including treating the gas for around $50 and be ready to go next spring. spend $15 on a good 12pack and get a buddy that has a mechanical background to assist you and it's a few hours of work total counting the research on the moomba forums to drain and change it all.
I never winterized an impeller in 10 years of boat ownership. I just replaced every other spring and never had an issue. your results may vary.

joshlavik
10-03-2018, 08:40 PM
My 2006 LSV was very easy to winterize.

While draining don't forget the heater, if you have one.

The whole process minus changing the oil can be done in under 30 minutes.Where's the heater drain?

2007 moomba lsv

sivs1
10-04-2018, 10:07 AM
Where's the heater drain?

2007 moomba lsv

I can't remember exactly where it is on the 325. On the engine itself there will be two hoses both 3/4 inch I believe, one goes to the heater and one is the return, basically they make a loop from the engine through the heater and back to the engine. On my LS3 motor they are on the Port side of the engine towards the top rear. The process I follow to drain is rudimentary, essentially I take off one hose and put my mouth on the hose and blow, if you do this after you open up your engine block drain plugs that water will come out your engine. Do this a few times until you are comfortable knowing you got all the water out.

996scott
10-04-2018, 05:08 PM
I change my oil every fall regardless of the hours, it's cheap insurance.

DOCDRS
10-04-2018, 05:37 PM
Yu have to pull the hoses off the impeller to get the water out of the housing and lines. Pull the hoses off the vdrive to get the water out of them. Pull the heater hoses off the block and circ pump to drain. Pull the jtube off the circ pump to empty it

AtTheRiver
10-09-2018, 02:57 PM
Oil and filter is definitely optional as there are pluses and minuses for when. Change in Fall you could get a little water in oil pan from condensation (think dipstick tube) from humidity and temps going up and down all winter season. Change first thing in spring and all the sediment that has settled over the winter will be tougher to extract. My experience is that these are minor considerations and it really does not matter much as long as you hit your 50 hour mark.

Most important thing is getting water out of block, manifold, lines and pumps if temps get below freezing for a prolonged time. The other stuff is solid advice, but will not cost you $1000s for a missed step.