PDA

View Full Version : Do dealer test drives damage new engines?

DaveM
09-20-2017, 07:40 PM
I recently tested 3 new boats from 3 dealers. In each case, the boats were new and never in the water, so 0 hours. Each dealer immediately ran the boats full throttle at max RPM's within 10 minutes of testing the boats. This goes against all the manufacturers suggested break-in procedures, right? I bet most dealers do this and I wonder how many engines are damaged as a result, though I've read the newer engines require less break-in period. Still, max RPM on a fresh engine, yikes!!!

mattsask
09-20-2017, 09:11 PM
Then run em all at WOT for their lake test at the factory anyway. Don't think there is any getting around that.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

sandm
09-20-2017, 09:48 PM
2 schools of thought:
-break in slowly at varying rpm's for a predetermined amount of time/miles.
-let the rings land hard and break the engine in as you will actually use it.

I was a proponent of the first for many new vehicle/boat/motorcycle purchases until i watched a show on discovery about the honda and kawasaki factories in japan turning out sportbikes. both companies, once the bike is assembled, roll to a dyno and run them for minutes at varying rpm's including a full throttle run for north of a minute to get a final dyno reading and ensure they are at the advertised HP ratings. my zx6 had a 16,500rpm redline so it's not lumbering some engine along. amazingly enough after taking delivery the manual states some crazy long break in. after seeing this, I have not followed break in on 2 sportbikes, 1 sports car, a sedan and a boat- all purchased new- with nary a problem and none had any oil usage.

my only advice is do what you feel is right for you.

jmvotto
09-20-2017, 10:27 PM
They don't make you break in cars or trucks , so I think these engines are fine

Broke Pilot
09-20-2017, 11:02 PM
An engine is an engine... I build them all the time. I don't break them in. If it's got oil pressure, Run it. It's more important to get an oil change in quickly (first 500miles or equivalent hours for an airplane/boat) than a break in. These are full roller motors as far I know, so there's no seating in lifters on cams, push rods on rockers and all that fun old school stuff.
Crank it, rip it. That's what a warranty is for

russellsmojo
09-20-2017, 11:09 PM
^^ great advice. Grip it and rip it. Oh wait that's golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broke Pilot
09-20-2017, 11:15 PM
Close enough brother! Lol ^^

Fastest1
09-21-2017, 10:28 AM
After roadracing motorcycles and watching winners literally pop the tire by burning it down. I dont think you can hurt most motors.
I have heard them banging the rev limiter for over 2 minutes (until the tire pops) with no issues. In fact to win the next weekend on the same motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MLA
09-21-2017, 11:04 AM
No! These engine can be driven in a manor that they are intended, right from the start. Break-in is a 99% CYA.

kaneboats
09-21-2017, 12:28 PM
I think, if you have never owned an inboard before, just cruising around a different RPMs for 10 hours is a great idea so you learn to drive your boat. As for the engine-- LOL!

Surf Wagon
09-21-2017, 02:36 PM
I think, if you have never owned an inboard before, just cruising around a different RPMs for 10 hours is a great idea so you learn to drive your boat. As for the engine-- LOL!This is the reason I did it the first day or at least kinda ish lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mmandley
09-21-2017, 03:30 PM
When they build our Mojo Shane Stillman was the demo person, we meet him in Cali and the boat had 2 hours on it and we surfed it loaded for 3 hours that day.

My first LSV I did the break in hours by the book.

No issues with either engine.

When I bought my F150 Eco the only thing they said was no towing for 1K miles.

Yet when I bight my Ram Cummins the dealer said take it home hook your boat up and pull it. They actually wanted the truck to work from the get go LOL.

I personally wouldn't buy my new boat and immediately load it down and surf it, but I know a lot do, I don't think it hurts anything, just a matter of how you do things.

Just like there was a debate about running the boat WOT every so often, I do this at least once every time I take the boat out. Just like I WOT my cars and trucks at least once a tank a fuel. I look at it like being a Runner, if you never Run then are told to, you wont RUN very long, unlike if you RUN all the time its easy to RUN when you need to.

Back to new boat engines, the most important thing is the 20HR service, don't skip it, pay the dealer to do it even if its expensive. This is when they check all the alignments, check all the mounting bolts to everything.

Skipping this is a real easy way for you to lose the warranty.

sandm
09-22-2017, 01:49 AM
When they build our Mojo Shane Stillman was the demo person, we meet him in Cali and the boat had 2 hours on it and we surfed it loaded for 3 hours that day.

with a wakeboard rope no less :)

mmandley
09-22-2017, 07:37 AM
with a wakeboard rope no less :)

Yes that's true I forgot that he forgot a Surf rope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFTR Josh
09-22-2017, 10:27 AM
Yes that's true I forgot that he forgot a Surf rope
Buddy of mine showed up with his boat... loading up he realized he forgot his board, LOL. The little things happen ;)