PDA

View Full Version : North Texas area

Surf Wagon
09-19-2017, 08:47 PM
Who all is on Ray Roberts? I see several Moombas and a few Supras.

If we venture up to Texoma where's a good area? Haven't been on it before?.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

russellsmojo
09-19-2017, 10:24 PM
Dusty can give you the texoma lowdown. Woody or I could help you on lewisville. I don't know many on ray Roberts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surf Wagon
09-20-2017, 07:47 AM
I hear Lewisville gets a little rowdy/busy. Does it slow down this time of year? We're in Denton so either is close.

Prospersigman
09-20-2017, 08:57 AM
Ray Roberts in my opinion is so much better than Lewisville!! The water is way cleaner and it does not get nearly as rough because there are no big boats and way less activity on it. Has a small party cove up by the dam that has sandy beach areas that the kiddos can go play on and it does not get real rowdy so more family friendly.

My wife, 10 year old son and 7 year old daughter are up there every weekend.

aquavette
09-20-2017, 09:34 AM
Not a huge fan of Lewisville myself, but I can be on the ramp 10 minutes from home.
Hard to argue with that.
Try Pilot Knoll park for the "quiet" side of the lake.

Agreed on Ray Roberts.
After several trips there, the water is much clearer, and much less traffic.
Never really been anywhere other than the area near the dam, from the state park boat ramp.

Only one recent experience with Texoma since my big go-fast boat, partying days many years ago...
Catfish Bay marina/campground in Oklahoma on Hwy 70 just west of Durant.
Nice park, decent facilities, free ramp. Seemed like a quiet place and I was there Labor Day weekend.

Surf Wagon
09-20-2017, 12:05 PM
Ray Roberts in my opinion is so much better than Lewisville!! The water is way cleaner and it does not get nearly as rough because there are no big boats and way less activity on it. Has a small party cove up by the dam that has sandy beach areas that the kiddos can go play on and it does not get real rowdy so more family friendly.

My wife, 10 year old son and 7 year old daughter are up there every weekend.We've been there every weekend since we got our boat. Been wanting to get to Broken Bow but can't get our schedules together. Was just thinking about trying another local lake but sounds like we're better off at Ray Bob.

russellsmojo
09-20-2017, 03:45 PM
Alright you guys talked to me into trying ray Roberts. I have always stayed away because of all the trees I saw when they built it. Guessing the dam is pretty safe place for no trees?

KG's Supra24
09-20-2017, 03:51 PM
Ya'll need to take a page out of Shane's book and just come on to Mountain Harbor at Lake Ouachita.

russellsmojo
09-20-2017, 04:05 PM
Ya'll need to take a page out of Shane's book and just come on to Mountain Harbor at Lake Ouachita.

Sounds like he needs to buy a house there!

When does the water start cooling off? I would like a short trip up there before the season ends.

KG's Supra24
09-20-2017, 04:07 PM

Let me know what weekend you are coming Russell!!

Surf Wagon
09-20-2017, 05:43 PM
Alright you guys talked to me into trying ray Roberts. I have always stayed away because of all the trees I saw when they built it. Guessing the dam is pretty safe place for no trees?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkJohnson Branch is good depending on the wind. The dam, party cove and Johnson Branch are all close from the Isle Du Bois boat ramp.

russellsmojo
09-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Where should a first timer put in at ray Roberts? I will be there Friday or Sunday.

Woody929
09-20-2017, 08:34 PM
We’ll be in Lewisville Saturday until mid afternoon. Since we mostly have a south wind, 95% of the time we are on the Poindexter branch west of 35. The other 5% would be at the dam.

russellsmojo
09-20-2017, 11:15 PM
We’ll be in Lewisville Saturday until mid afternoon. Since we mostly have a south wind, 95% of the time we are on the Poindexter branch west of 35. The other 5% would be at the dam.

Sunday?

Woody929
09-20-2017, 11:28 PM
Sunday?

Ft Worth then for bday celebrations x 3

smorris7
09-21-2017, 06:55 AM

When does the water start cooling off? I would like a short trip up there before the season ends.

Current water temp is 84. Last year we were still in the water mid October at Ouachita water in the low 70s at that point. You really need to get up there. We will be up there again this year. We have been slowing looking for a place up there![emoji12]

Prospersigman
09-21-2017, 08:49 AM
Where should a first timer put in at ray Roberts? I will be there Friday or Sunday.

I pay $5.00 and put in at the Ray Roberts Marina since my boat is kept in dry storage East of the dam. It has ample parking and it always protected from the wind, only problem is there is no courtesy dock, so you have to put the boat in, go park and get picked up at the Marina. Nice triple wide ramp has lights there to be able to boat the boat on and like I said its never windy there because it is tucked back in around from the covered slips.

We are camping at Johnson Branch with 4 other families Saturday night so we will be out Saturday and Sunday...could be one of the last weekends of the year for us warm water boaters.

russellsmojo
09-21-2017, 09:54 AM
Thanks! Last weekend? No way. I was out last year the week after Thanksgiving. Now if it does not rain soon that's another story.

Surf Wagon
09-21-2017, 12:30 PM
We put in at Isle Du Bois close to everything and 5 ramps.
$7/person at Johnson Branch or Isle Du Bois state parks. State park pass gets everyone in the truck in. We also mountain bike ride at several state parks so we buy the pass. They are $70 or $90 for 2. I think the boat ramp next to the marina is free but as I haven't used it I'm not positive.

Prospersigman
09-21-2017, 12:50 PM
I think the boat ramp next to the marina is free but as I haven't used it I'm not positive.

The boat ramp just past the marina is free, but with the predominant South winds it gets rough and windy over there in a hurry.

Surf Wagon
09-21-2017, 01:23 PM
Good to know