PDA

View Full Version : Spoon man

flienlow
09-18-2017, 03:35 PM
Spoon man. No, not sound Garden, but every time someone drives my boat, and admittedly me as well; she gets soaked. Kind of a downer when you want to throw in some expensive tunes.

With that said, I just wanted to post this up for Ideas.

My 2015 LSV was an impulsive purchase due to the deal I got on it. ( or perceived deal at least.) For a new boat, it was in the price range of somewhat sanity, but not without issue.

Issues.

1. Shallow draft boat. It spoons
2. Stock surf wake is... let's just say it leaves a lot to be desired especially for a Surf edition.
3. Rudder authority is really bad loaded.
4. Fast -When Surfing w/Delta Mission and stock ballast we need to be @ 12.3-5 MPH or nothing is ride able.
5. I hate the lack of hard surface on my engine cover( vinyl) and the carpeting in the boat. #Cheetos, and Crumb crunchers making a mess.
6. Its newer and its stock is still high- Perhaps sell it while I can?

Others have suggested that I contact Wake Makers and get improved ballast for it which I have not done at all. I have been too busy with life and we are lucky to find time as it is. But when I find that I am always preferring to go out on my neighbors older 23' supreme due to its wake, it has me thinking I might want to upgrade? A new boat would be a net add of 25k which sucks, but fun aint free. Thinking of maybe an Axis ( which I received an invite today to go demo or maybe a new or newer Mondo?

Thoughts?

Surf Wagon
09-18-2017, 05:14 PM
Max

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5:00
09-18-2017, 06:02 PM
Even "surf editions" don't have fully ballast. You need to start there and get that boat low. The next thing you need is some kind of Suck Gate. I have a 10 year old boat and those two things gave me more than twice the wave I had before.

Stazi
09-18-2017, 07:32 PM
You haven't upgraded ballast but complain about the surf wave? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrettLee3232
09-18-2017, 08:11 PM
Yeah dude upgrade your ballast number 1! Do some research and fine the biggest bags that will fit. You might need to upgrade your prop with extra weight.

You shouldn't be "spooning" her very often if you know how to properly slow down and turn around without getting your rollers. Once you know how to do that then teach the other drivers. You might get water every once in awhile but nothing should be scary enough to warrant a post on here about it.

jmvotto
09-18-2017, 09:40 PM
You don't have a surf tabs on this lsv? You say surf edition , should not need a suck gate

Stazi
09-18-2017, 09:52 PM
1100's I. The back, center locker bag and bow bag, surf gate and another bag for the rear seat and surf side seat and you can do this. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170919/fe0e7fb1d98e59c1894d34224268fd1b.jpg

KG's Supra24
09-18-2017, 10:54 PM
New boats are always cool. The new Moomba's are part of the "next generation" of larger wakeboats whereas your LSV is more low slung.

That said, you've haven't even tried. The spoonin (new lingo to me) can be corrected by proper driving and the surf wave is in its infancy. If throwing 1k and a couple hours at upgrading the surf isn't your thing, buy a new one and have the dealer do it before pickup.

Spoonin

13mobiusLSV
09-18-2017, 11:30 PM
In the length of time you took to write up this post, you could've ordered your upgraded ballast.

Add another 5 mins and you could've opened the boxes and hooked up your new ballast.

I've surfed a factory supreme s238 and it didn't even come close to my lsv weighted and upgraded properly.

You mentioned "perceived deal" and "impulse purchase" as if it was a mistake. Well you're about to make another mistake by not even seeing the potential of your boat buy spending a few hundred bucks.

Here's a pic of my lsv from last summer
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170919/6273722eab25cceb14c5f7db65f7be82.jpg

Sp8
09-18-2017, 11:41 PM
Here's my LSV wave

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170919/8fda4965e71d14fada651eca0ecdc7c5.jpg

Stazi
09-18-2017, 11:46 PM
Nothing is turnkey unless you are happy with mediocrity.

KG's Supra24
09-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Dusty keeping the old 24 spoon out of the water ......

https://i.imgur.com/omceJPT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0ZXjW1e.jpg

flienlow
09-19-2017, 11:48 AM
In the length of time you took to write up this post, you could've ordered your upgraded ballast.

Add another 5 mins and you could've opened the boxes and hooked up your new ballast.

I've surfed a factory supreme s238 and it didn't even come close to my lsv weighted and upgraded properly.

You mentioned "perceived deal" and "impulse purchase" as if it was a mistake. Well you're about to make another mistake by not even seeing the potential of your boat buy spending a few hundred bucks.

A lot of great responses here and some tough love which I really appreciate. This wake right here is the best I have seen out of an LSV (not that I am an authority.) How fast are you surfing that?

I admit, I have not tried the ballast, but the thought was why not just get a better surf boat when I can get out of mine for a good price? That said, I would more than happy to keep it if can make it work. ( and save S-loads of money.)

My boat does have those manual surf tabs, and no matter what I do, they just seem to suck. The delta Mission suck gate works the best, but it is really difficult to get right. One moment you have a monster wake, the next you get in the water and have nothing but foam. I have had crappy wakes with 12 people on board, and good ones with only 3. Sometimes it is a complete mystery. The Moomba if I recall recommends underfilling the bags for some reason ( I forget the ratio) and running 10.5 with 1/2 down wake plate. - That has never amounted to anything for me.

sivs1
09-19-2017, 11:59 AM
You have a great boat. I can't think of any boat that will be the "best" surf boat right out of the box. The best advise I was given to dial in a wave is to fill everything completely full, tabs fully deployed and dial back from there. I found even with a surf system on My SA that i needed to be listed and only have tabs deployed to 1 out of 5 positions. The wake plate for me is best around half, I first thought it needed to be all the way up, not the case.

Take a hour out of your day while on the water and play with it, try all different settings and determine what looks best, then ride it to see if it gives you the push needed.

patrick232
09-19-2017, 12:12 PM
A lot of great responses here and some tough love which I really appreciate. This wake right here is the best I have seen out of an LSV (not that I am an authority.) How fast are you surfing that?

I admit, I have not tried the ballast, but the thought was why not just get a better surf boat when I can get out of mine for a good price? That said, I would more than happy to keep it if can make it work. ( and save S-loads of money.)

My boat does have those manual surf tabs, and no matter what I do, they just seem to suck. The delta Mission suck gate works the best, but it is really difficult to get right. One moment you have a monster wake, the next you get in the water and have nothing but foam. I have had crappy wakes with 12 people on board, and good ones with only 3. Sometimes it is a complete mystery. The Moomba if I recall recommends underfilling the bags for some reason ( I forget the ratio) and running 10.5 with 1/2 down wake plate. - That has never amounted to anything for me.

1) This could be the classic air in the bags vs no air. Make sure when filling you get all the air out of your bags. If you don't each time the bag might look full but have less water in it.
2) The other thing is check you speedo that is it correct, us a GPS or your phone.
3) The depth of the water can change the shape of the wave, slow down if under 12' of water to about 10.2 over that 10.6 or 10.8 should work

MJHSupra
09-19-2017, 12:23 PM
You have a great boat. I can't think of any boat that will be the "best" surf boat right out of the box. The best advise I was given to dial in a wave is to fill everything completely full, tabs fully deployed and dial back from there. I found even with a surf system on My SA that i needed to be listed and only have tabs deployed to 1 out of 5 positions. The wake plate for me is best around half, I first thought it needed to be all the way up, not the case.

Take a hour out of your day while on the water and play with it, try all different settings and determine what looks best, then ride it to see if it gives you the push needed.

I will second the post of trying different things. Good advice on this post. I learned after installing surf tabs on my 2007.

HA HA, I like the "spoonin" lingo. KG's pics have it nailed down.

13mobiusLSV
09-19-2017, 12:26 PM
I hope I didn't come across too mean(my wife said it was too hard on you, haha), I have a 1 month old and am a little sleep deprived. I had the manual flow added after one summer and it was an improvement, however with the suck gates coming out the following year I have had much better luck running a homemade one and no longer use the tabs. I even tried running tabs with the suck gate and it diminished the quality of the wave. The manual flow still wanted a strong list to the surfside which was a bummer as I read some of the mojo guys with manual flow were getting a more evenly weighted setup. If your paddle wheel is calibrated correctly you are running too fast, so I would start there to make sure that is accurate.
My setup:
rear lockers: 900s - Full
hard tank and 500ibs: Full
speed: 11.0 +/- .1
wakeplate: 1/4 down
favor surfside with bodies, you don't have to slam everyone but if you have 5 people put 3 on the side you are surfing on.
If I have a light crew i will throw a 400lb bag up front in the bow and fill it approx. 50%
run the suck gate all the way back below the mobius lsv decal and you will have to fine tune it from there.

feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

good luck

Nick

jmvotto
09-19-2017, 01:21 PM
I will second the post of trying different things. Good advice on this post. I learned after installing surf tabs on my 2007.

HA HA, I like the "spoonin" lingo. KG's pics have it nailed down.

that is KG's boat diving for pearls ......

lsvboombox
09-19-2017, 02:26 PM

you have a long pole

13mobiusLSV
09-19-2017, 02:29 PM
you have a long pole

Haha, painters pole from menards. Wrapped it in electrical tape and slapped a go pro sticker on it.

jmvotto
09-19-2017, 02:44 PM
you have a long pole

that what Dustys Mom said ....:o

flienlow
09-19-2017, 04:16 PM
I hope I didn't come across too mean(my wife said it was too hard on you, haha), I have a 1 month old and am a little sleep deprived. I had the manual flow added after one summer and it was an improvement, however with the suck gates coming out the following year I have had much better luck running a homemade one and no longer use the tabs. I even tried running tabs with the suck gate and it diminished the quality of the wave. The manual flow still wanted a strong list to the surfside which was a bummer as I read some of the mojo guys with manual flow were getting a more evenly weighted setup. If your paddle wheel is calibrated correctly you are running too fast, so I would start there to make sure that is accurate.
My setup:
rear lockers: 900s - Full
hard tank and 500ibs: Full
speed: 11.0 +/- .1
wakeplate: 1/4 down
favor surfside with bodies, you don't have to slam everyone but if you have 5 people put 3 on the side you are surfing on.
If I have a light crew i will throw a 400lb bag up front in the bow and fill it approx. 50%
run the suck gate all the way back below the mobius lsv decal and you will have to fine tune it from there.

feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

good luck

Nick

1. I was in the Navy for 4 years. You cant offend me. :)
2. Congrats on the new Loin Fruit! - I remember those days.
3. I'm leaning towards keeping my boat. I think next year I am going to list it over in the water. My buddy uses a bag that he put in the ski locker ( storage compartment) and also 1 under the seats. I think I will try that setup on mine.

MJHSupra
09-19-2017, 04:22 PM
Ouch! Ha Ha.

sivs1
09-19-2017, 04:25 PM
3. I'm leaning towards keeping my boat. I think next year I am going to list it over in the water. My buddy uses a bag that he put in the ski locker ( storage compartment) and also 1 under the seats. I think I will try that setup on mine.

Look on here and other forums for ballast bags for sale, you can find them cheaper than new. Wakemakers has a good sale in November and that could help save some cash and get some weight in the boat.

moombahighrider
09-20-2017, 02:05 PM

I have some 900 lb bags for sale...

And also some 400 lb bags for sale that fit in the ski locker perfectly.

ian ashton
09-24-2017, 10:54 AM
Maybe it’s already been said, but taking water over the bow (which is what I assume you mean when you say it gets soaked) just means you need some driving technique tweaks :)

KnoxMojo
09-24-2017, 06:01 PM
Here is my humble advice. Invite about 8-10 adults out to act as ballast. Make sure one of them is an experienced boater and surfer. Use a GPS that does tenths of mph to verify speed, your paddlewheel offset may be off. Fill all your ballast, then have the best surfer in the bunch get out there and ride. While he is out there, he can direct people where to move around the boat to get the best wave. Then you'll know how much you really need to upgrade your stock ballast. I also have the manual gates and found my best wave was in the middle position. I have found that I need at least 6-800 extra pounds of weight on the surf side. Don't give up on your LSV, I was on my buddies today and it throws an amazing surf wave! this photo is 2 people in my Mojo with everything full and ballast on the surf side.