PDA

View Full Version : Eliminating Water Spots and Mineral Deposits with CLR

Fastest1
09-16-2017, 07:58 AM
I keep my boat in the water on the weekends of use. The lake is a limestone bottomed lake.

At the beginning of the season my boat was detailed and looked very good. I started noticing a build up of some kind on the surface. I tried a little soap and water with no luck at all. I could rub with my finger and remove a small amount of it. This method would be a little tedious ;-)

So I look on the college of the future (YouTube) and find many people cleaning their boats with CLR and even toilet bowl cleaner. They swear by it. So I go get some CLR, undiluted.

I dampen a microfleece rag with it. I moisten an area of about 5 feet on the side of my boat. I proceed to rub again every 2-3 minutes or so to keep the surface wet. I dont even need to reapply the CLR for a few sections at a time. After maybe a 5 minute soak, I rinse well with water. I cant believe my eyes. There is still a shiny wax coating under all of this! It looks great and involved no effort. I would suggest applying to a cool boat in a shaded area. Just so it doesnt dry quickly. Do not apply the CLR to wet surfaces for the best results.

I ended up using the CLR on every surface with no issues whatsoever, the aluminum, glass, and even the upholstery. It seemed to work well everywhere with no hint of damage, discoloration or any negative aspects. I used it barehanded and full strength and didnt feel any discomfort or burning.

In case you were on the fence, I confirm it works well. I used 1/2 of a small bottle of CLR ($5.00 for a full bottle) for the entire cleaning. Just keep it in a spray bottle for the best application.

Stazi
09-16-2017, 08:04 AM
50/50 vinegar and water works just as well without the harsh chemicals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

moombahighrider
09-16-2017, 10:42 AM

This is what I do when needed. Definitely need to re-wax after though.

moombahighrider
09-16-2017, 10:43 AM

This is what I use when needed. Definitely need to re-wax after thoigh

Fastest1
09-16-2017, 12:34 PM
I didnt have any luck with vinegar at all.
It might work for water spots but doesnt appear to dissolve the lime or calcium. Or whatever is being deposited, I am assuming lime since it is a limestone lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

twkoehn
09-18-2017, 04:32 PM
I use a product called Zing during the fall. It's hydrochloric acid so I use it in a 50/50 mix of Zing and water. It takes everything off the hull down to the paint and gelcoat so it needs to be waxed afterwards. To apply, I just use a soft brush and wipe over the boat. No muscle required but you do need to wear gloves. If you get it on your skin, it will burn.

daxattax
09-22-2017, 09:38 PM
Give boat bling hot sauce a shot. It's an amazing product.

stevemarich
09-22-2017, 09:56 PM
Been having good luck with the boat bling , little pricey but the river we go on a lot leaves a ton of water spots , tried several off the shelf hull cleaners and soaps washing , but always go back to the boat bling hot sauce to get all.