PDA

View Full Version : To tandem or not to tandem... trailer that is...

EricNCSU1204
08-28-2006, 12:10 AM
Ok, so again I was talking the guys at my local dealer today at the boat show about whether or not to get the tandem trailer vs the single axle on a new Mobius LSV.. they believe it or not, said not to waste the money and just stick with a single axle. I guess I would like to know the pros and cons and personal experiences with both. One thing he said was that the tandem would be harder to maneuver ( I think I spelled that right)... do the tandems track better on the highway? any input is greatly appreciated....

Thanks....

- E

gotmyboat
08-28-2006, 11:45 AM
I think it really depends on how much towing you're planning to do. If you live close to your lake/river then you would likely be happy with the single axle. I live about 1 hour from the lakes I ski. I also frequently pull my boat with a 29' motorhome. For my uses, I never considered single. The tandem axle is harder to push around in the garage, but is much less prone to sway and bouncing on the road. It also has less tongue weight because more of the boat balances over the axles. It really boils down to your needs.

Dave

EricNCSU1204
08-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Hey, thanks for the reply.
I, under normal circumstances will never be pulling my boat more than an hour to or from the lake, as there are 3 big lakes near me. I will be pulling it with a reg. cab, short bed For F-150 4x4.. any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again...

- E

gotmyboat
08-28-2006, 11:59 AM
The other reason I went with the tandem was for my wife. I have pulled tailers for years and am very comfortable doing so. When I got the boat, the plan was for my wife to pull it while I pulled the 26' travel trailer. I wanted the most safe and stable set-up for her since she was already nervous about towing. Well I ended up picking up the motorhome for a steal and she hasn't had to tow the boat. I am happy to have the tandem for pulling behind the motorhome.
Another issue is blowouts. I have a friend at work who had a tire blowout on his way to a lake for the weekend. Since his trailer was a tandem, the extra wheel carried the weight until he could safely get off the freeway and to a level parking lot. He then pulled the extra wheel up on to a parking bumper so that he could get the blown tire off and the spare on. With a single he would have been on the side of the freeway trying to jack his boat up. I have seen many boats left on the side of the road with flat tires, but none with tandem axle trailers.

Enough of me. I'm rambling!!

Dave

EricNCSU1204
08-28-2006, 01:04 PM
all good points, and a lot apply to me... thanks a lot for the advice!

carsondoc
08-28-2006, 03:57 PM
I would also add that if you have, or are going to get, a single axle trailer that you absolutely must get a spare tire mounted on the trailer. Why they even offer a single axle trailer without a spare as a standard is beyond me.

EricNCSU1204
08-29-2006, 08:34 AM
yea, talked to my Pops , he reminded me of the last time where we had to leave his boat on the side of the road when the tire blew out.... Tandem it will be... thanks for the advice ya'll!

-E