PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy of a fuel tank question - 2007 Outback V - engine bogging above 3k rpm

IndianaOutback
09-11-2017, 09:19 PM
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster.

My 2007 Outback has 1700 hours, so a lot of things could be going bad. Yeah, I use it a lot. The engine is cutting out or bogging down above 3k rpm. It runs flawlessly under 3k rpm. It started at the end of last year, I could go 40+ mph but it cut out occasionally at that speed. Gradually over this summer my max speed has been getting worse and worse. Down to about 25 mph max now. It doesn't matter if its at the first start of the day or the end. It doesn't matter if the gas tank is completely full or nearly empty.

I'm guessing its fuel related but it could be a lot of things I'm sure. So far I've replaced the fuel filter and cleaned out the screen in the bottom of the fuel pump but no luck. I read in some previous posts that some of the older boats had screens on the pickup tubes in the fuel tank, and you can clear out the screen by blowing into the tank through the hose. I removed the filter and blew into the tank but no air went in. With the gas cap removed, I hose-clamped an air line onto the fuel tank hose and gave it 100 psi, and it held it... So I'm assuming there is some anti-drainback valve going back into the gas tank, this this right?

Basically two questions. Is there anything I can do to clear out the tank pickup tube? (pulling the tank sounds like a winter project)
What else could it be?

Thanks,
Noah

Stazi
09-12-2017, 06:45 AM
When was the last time you did plugs, wires and cap/rotor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndianaOutback
09-12-2017, 07:48 AM
This is the second season on the wires, plugs, etc. Probably 250 hours. I'll go ahead and order a set to see what happens.

Stazi
09-12-2017, 08:15 AM
The other thing it could be is the TPS, if you have the FI engine. This issue of bogging down at 3000rpm is a common issue that comes up on this forum. Fuel delivery, spark delivery or the TPS seem to be the most common culprits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IndianaOutback
09-12-2017, 02:03 PM
I know I have what I'd call a 'dead zone' between ~17-23 mph, where it is really hard to get the speed to settle into a fine point. Could this be related? I assumed it might be the TPS or slop in the linkage due to age. Another thing to add to the shopping list I guess.

Stazi
09-12-2017, 02:28 PM
I would think that if it cannot run properly above 3000rpm, then this would most certainly affect the speed control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndianaOutback
09-23-2017, 07:56 PM
Just following up here. I threw a bunch of parts at the engine (cap, rotor, spark plugs, fuel filters, gas treatment...). It seemed to be running great, got it up to 40. Ran it for a while then the gear box started making noises. Idled it back to the dock while it was making bad noises the whole time. Got home and removed the V-drive, then the bottom of the v-drive and found a bunch of bearing pieces. No idea if the drive had anything to do with the speed issues I was having, probably not, but who knows.

Now I'm looking for a Walter rebuild kit.