PDA

View Full Version : Service

JHCMondo
09-08-2017, 12:06 PM
I have a 2016 Mondo with 65 hours on it. Getting ready for winterization and any service that is required.

On the indmar manual it lists a whole slew of things under EVERY 300 HOURS OR ANNUALLY. I got a quote from a dealer and it's $1350 plus tax to do all the maintenance (i'm in Canada). I'm new to boats and I'm beginning to under stand Bust Out Another Thousand! Anyway other than the oil, oil filter and winterization is the rest of them really necessary? Seems excessive to do all that annually when i only put on 50 hours a year?

What would I be able to skip? If it's all necessary to avoid damaging my $93k (I'm in Canada) boat I will do it but it seems rather excessive to do this every year with only 50 hours a year of use.

Thanks
James

MMPRES
09-08-2017, 12:54 PM
I'm in Alabama, so obviously I'm more on the conservative side when it comes to winterization but have done all the work on my own. The majority of the work can be saved for summerization (oil change, impeller change, etc.). I would focus on mainly getting all of the raw water out of the engine and ballast lines, you could even go so far as to run antifreeze through those lines and close them back up. But I would pull the impeller, remove the engine block plugs, open up the hoses that connect the manifolds and disconnect the raw water intake from the block. I put antifreeze in my ballast lines until the pumps were spitting it out the bottom this last year and disconnected the bags making sure to empty out those as well. Not sure where the $1350 comes from as that may be a total of two hours labor from what I described, and that's a stretch as to whether it would actually take them two hours. I was close to that, but I'm an amateur. Don't have the manual in front of me, but can't really figure out what else would be suggested beyond that given you have a barely used boat.

Darter
09-08-2017, 06:11 PM
If you're handy but still uncertain, start with just having the shop do the winterization. Then take your time to do the oil and impeller change on your own time (and dime). Winterization won't be cheap either, but a lot less than that quote.

Once you start getting familiar with the boat, you can take on more.

On the other hand, if you've done any work with cars, a boat is pretty much the same level of effort (and in many cases, easier).

bjrow
09-12-2017, 06:40 PM
Hey James, was in a similar situation a few years back when we bought ours.
After getting di#^$%ed around by dealer and mechanics I pulled my head out of the sand and began learning what to do, thanks for this site and the contributors as it gave me confidence to just start with the little things and work up from there.
We see at best -5degC here so we just pump everything with concentrated antifreeze when all done (oils, filter, etc) with the prop spinning at idle to ensure the antifreeze circulates to all the paths the raw water goes normally. Seems to do the trick for us but we don't get as cold during Winter as some of you guys.
Darter is on the money if you are a little handy with the tools, my suggestion is to buy a proper impeller puller and oil filter remover. We needed to extend the oil drain hose to have it come out the rear bung hole as well. Small investments there and you're set for many seasons.
Cheers BruceR, AUS Melbourne.

mcjimmy33
09-13-2017, 08:59 AM
I cant emphasize enough how to learn to work on the boat yourself. For one, it will save you a ton of money. I just bought a new impeller, oil, oil filter, antifreeze, trans fluid, and v drive fluid all for around 100 bucks. Once you learn how to do all this work, you will also be able to troubleshoot your boat much easier should you have any issues. I can get all the work done in around 4 hours. At that point just have to ask yourself if saving 1000 bucks is worth 4 hours of your time. Depending on your situation, the answer might be no. For me, its worth my time.

Along with the already mentioned impeller puller, get yourself a nice evac pump, something that holds 8-10 quarts. I have a mityvac fluid extractor, works great. Its pretty idiot proof work. Pump out fluid, fill with new fluid to the full line. Even if you add in the tools you wont be out more than 250-300 dollars your first year.

JHCMondo
09-13-2017, 10:58 AM
I cant emphasize enough how to learn to work on the boat yourself. For one, it will save you a ton of money. I just bought a new impeller, oil, oil filter, antifreeze, trans fluid, and v drive fluid all for around 100 bucks. Once you learn how to do all this work, you will also be able to troubleshoot your boat much easier should you have any issues. I can get all the work done in around 4 hours. At that point just have to ask yourself if saving 1000 bucks is worth 4 hours of your time. Depending on your situation, the answer might be no. For me, its worth my time.

Along with the already mentioned impeller puller, get yourself a nice evac pump, something that holds 8-10 quarts. I have a mityvac fluid extractor, works great. Its pretty idiot proof work. Pump out fluid, fill with new fluid to the full line. Even if you add in the tools you wont be out more than 250-300 dollars your first year.

Thanks for the advice.

Spoke to the dealer again and they said I didn't need to do all the v drive, transmission fluid etc yet. Just winterization, oil, oil filter and they suggest the raw water impeller changed. So the cost is back down to $600 and the dealer is honest enough to tell me i don't need the additional services i asked a for a quote on.

How hard is it to change the vdrive and transmission fluid? Is it as simple as pumping out and refilling no filter required? I do my own oil change on a Yamaha waverunner. That is the extent of my mechanical abilities.

I'll always get the dealer to do winterization. Only $300 and good piece of mind. don't need a cracked engine if i do something wrong. we get up to -30c here! If the engine gets cracked i get to use the dealer liability insurance :-).

James

mcjimmy33
09-13-2017, 11:29 AM
As for the trans an v drive, yes its a simple pump out and refill. If you can handle a waverunner, you can handle this boat. Same for the oil change in the boat. I don't understand why the dealer would suggest changing the impeller now, that should be a spring item for prepping the boat for the summer. No need to put in a fresh impeller to sit all winter.

Good luck which ever route you choose.

MGX
09-13-2017, 01:56 PM
Where in Canada are you located?

JHCMondo
09-13-2017, 03:00 PM
As for the trans an v drive, yes its a simple pump out and refill. If you can handle a waverunner, you can handle this boat. Same for the oil change in the boat. I don't understand why the dealer would suggest changing the impeller now, that should be a spring item for prepping the boat for the summer. No need to put in a fresh impeller to sit all winter.

Good luck which ever route you choose.

Transmission fluid is just a pump out and fill as well?

I"m located in Kelowna, BC

James

wolfeman131
09-13-2017, 10:23 PM

James

I'll be there next week for the World Wakesurf Championship.

mcjimmy33
09-14-2017, 08:55 AM
Yes, his 2016 mondo it will be. I believe all the v drive transmissions will be, but im not 100% on that. The manual will show where to fill from and check levels. Some transmissions have filters that need to be changed, but a 2016 with 65 hours will not need to be changed.

Transmission fluid is just a pump out and fill as well?

James