PDA

View Full Version : help to choose boat for all around sports

EricT
09-06-2017, 11:56 AM
Hello

First post. Looking to buy a used Moomba locally.

Dilemma is, I want to learn to surf, but wife still likes to slalom (and I do too).

I have my sights set on a '13 Mobius and there is also a nicely priced '04 Outback.

Any advice? Which might be better to satisfy both?

Thanks

Eric
Birmingham, AL
'06 Crownline 180BR
Lewis Smith Lake

Poison
09-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Hello

First post. Looking to buy a used Moomba locally.

Dilemma is, I want to learn to surf, but wife still likes to slalom (and I do too).

I have my sights set on a '13 Mobius and there is also a nicely priced '04 Outback.

Any advice? Which might be better to satisfy both?

Thanks

Eric
Birmingham, AL
'06 Crownline 180BR
Lewis Smith Lake

Which model Möbius? XLV, or LSV likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EricT
09-06-2017, 12:02 PM
it is the LSV

Poison
09-06-2017, 12:05 PM
it is the LSV

That boat will do it all if you are willing to upgrade the bags. Go for it.

KG's Supra24
09-06-2017, 12:05 PM
Very different sized boats both inside and out. How important is slalom vs other aspects such as comfort, age/hours, seating capacity, storage, etc

EricT
09-06-2017, 12:15 PM
good point. I like that "stadium seating" of the Mobius, and don't rather like that mid-engine in the Outback. I think our biggest 'fear' is crossing that wake on the slalom. Now, with that said, our current Crownline is not the smallest wake either. Storage and hours are less an issue. Thanks

KG's Supra24
09-06-2017, 12:18 PM
If it's not an Outback V I wouldn't even consider it unless you are hardcore slalom. You will hate having a direct drive and will be shopping for a V drive after a few uses. Also surfing a direct drive will result in ballast laying all over the floor of the boat.

Stazi
09-06-2017, 12:27 PM
If it's not an Outback V I wouldn't even consider it unless you are hardcore slalom. You will hate having a direct drive and will be shopping for a V drive after a few uses. Also surfing a direct drive will result in ballast laying all over the floor of the boat.

What he said, to a "T"!

jelmhorst
09-06-2017, 12:49 PM
LSV would be the max size boat for skiing. I think Sivs said he was able to get a decent slalom wake out of his LSV by adding weight to the nose with an IBS, I need to play with it more on mine to see if I can get flatten it out more. Even at 34 it's a jump. I've got to get my ski fix with my neighbor's '00 230 Maristar, he tried behind mine once and said never again. As with everything, trade-offs -slalom and surf are opposites but the LSV will do both, but just may take more dialing in. Kudos on finding a woman that likes to slalom, pretty sure they are unicorns nowadays. I've had to train mine lol.

sivs1
09-06-2017, 12:54 PM
LSV for sure unless you are hard core slalom. Helping a neighbor right now choose a boat, he's looking at the prices of DD vs. V-drive and leaning towards the DD. He does not ski, so trying to get him to think about the big picture. Only reason I sold the LSV was to get the Supra with surf tabs, better ballast system and all the bells and whistles that come standard. The LSV will be a better long term purchase, yes, adding weight center and up front will help the slalom wave flatten out, it will never be a DD wave, but am sure it will be better than a I/O.

jmvotto
09-06-2017, 03:18 PM
lsv all the way , you will be surfing in no time and the ski will collect dust like mine

you ski a course or just free ski , could always bump up to a bigger ride :o self serve imojie please

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?30035-2012-xlv-for-sale now 49,900

996scott
09-06-2017, 11:25 PM
LSV all day long! Great all around boat and you can do everything with it. We do a ton of skiing with our LSV, surfing, wakeboarding, etc. best bang for your buck. Jmvotto has a beauty for sale.☝☝☝