PDA

View Full Version : Boats following when surfing

ghebert1111
09-05-2017, 01:04 PM
Yesterday while surfing, we had a guy pull right up our butt to what seemed like 30 feet. We were waving the guy off but he followed us for about 30 seconds. I mean we've had boats bearing down on us before, but they usually veer off before getting anywhere near this close to the surfer.

So what do you do in this situation, if I stop the boat, then the guy possibly runs over the surfer and the boat. This was a novice surfer and there was a high likelihood that she would fall while he was back there. I'm trying to get the video from a friend that was recording and post it.

trayson
09-05-2017, 01:38 PM
Usually when the other boat sees us waving them off and flipping them off, they get the idea. The wetsounds P/A system would also be an option for us to yell at them.

Fastest1
09-05-2017, 03:22 PM
I had a few incidents this weekend that made me wonder if the drivers had any clue of what they were doing. I too gave them the finger as I was trying to avoid them and their stupid choices.
I remember a time many years ago watching a girl stand up in the bow of a boat going at a decent pace, not fast but not slow. She stood up and dove forward unannounced. Fortunately the friend who was driving caught it and literally slammed the boat in reverse harder than I have ever seen. Nobody got hurt and luckily the remaining people in the boat were seated. She got an ass chewing she will never forget I am sure. However it was just a display of ignorance beyond belief, to dive forward from a moving boat?

zabooda
09-05-2017, 03:49 PM
Yesterday while surfing, we had a guy pull right up our butt to what seemed like 30 feet. We were waving the guy off but he followed us for about 30 seconds. I mean we've had boats bearing down on us before, but they usually veer off before getting anywhere near this close to the surfer.

So what do you do in this situation, if I stop the boat, then the guy possibly runs over the surfer and the boat. This was a novice surfer and there was a high likelihood that she would fall while he was back there. I'm trying to get the video from a friend that was recording and post it.

You need to make a slow turn away with the expectation the other driver will stay on course.

Poison
09-05-2017, 07:00 PM
Ugh...holidays. The real winners always show up for Labor Day, July 4th, Memorial Day...

They usually get the clue if you tell them they are number one with the appropriate finger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghebert1111
09-05-2017, 07:42 PM
You need to make a slow turn away with the expectation the other driver will stay on course.

That sounds like a good plan when we have a good rider that may be able to stay up during a turn. In this case we had a novice who I'm sure would have fell immediately had I turned.

gravity
09-05-2017, 11:02 PM
Man i Hate this. And jet skis. I get very defensive when i have a rider behind me. We have a lot of tubers on our lake that are looking back more than forward. It also sucks when they are headed towards you. They cant see you have a rider and are usually swerving looking back wards. I keep the flag and horn handy. I wish they would make tubing illegal unless its in a straight line. But hey what would be the fun in that? We usually let them spin circles and sream and cheer for 30min them its usually out of there system and we go do our thing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KnoxMojo
09-05-2017, 11:02 PM
We had a boat follow close last weekend, it was a smaller inboard. At first we were waving them off, but then we realized they were trying to figure out how to get over our rollers...hahaha....keep your head on a swivel out there!!

wolfeman131
09-05-2017, 11:36 PM
I have an air horn at the ready at all times. I'll ask someone else to take the wheel while I stand on the back, blasting away & shouting at them. It's effective most of the time.

jmvotto
09-06-2017, 10:26 AM
I have an air horn at the ready at all times. I'll ask someone else to take the wheel while I stand on the back, blasting away & shouting at them. It's effective most of the time.

gotta be that guy .....lol

JK

Jeepers
09-06-2017, 01:31 PM

I use the wet sounds mic all the time. It's very effective.

Amazing how many irresponsible boaters there are.

Jeepers
09-06-2017, 01:33 PM
Ugh...holidays. The real winners always show up for Labor Day, July 4th, Memorial Day...

They usually get the clue if you tell them they are number one with the appropriate finger.

New Years Eve, 4th of July and Labor Day = Amateur Night

mcjimmy33
09-06-2017, 03:55 PM
It is shocking to me how often this happens when surfing. When the boat finally decides they want to travel over 11mph and the decide to pass and everyone in my boat is flipping them off and they drive by, smile and wave. Not a clue in the world what they were doing was so dangerous to the surfer.

wolfeman131
09-06-2017, 07:26 PM
gotta be that guy .....lol

JK

Yep, I'm that guy that doesn't want to see his children injured.

russellsmojo
09-06-2017, 08:30 PM
Right on wolfeman. I will take a chance on an altercation by getting get in someone's business about endangering my kiddos.

bergermaister
09-07-2017, 04:35 PM
No air horn or PA system?

Plan B
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/l5ARrE0Rsn4/maxresdefault.jpg

zabooda
09-07-2017, 05:42 PM
....or a laser light pen. Ouch

The_Robo_Fighter
09-08-2017, 06:56 AM
+1 for the wet sounds mic. It is very effective. I just have to keep it out of the hands of the 5 year old. Literally her favorite part of the boat....

The General
09-08-2017, 12:45 PM
This happened at a lake near me. Some people really are that stupid!
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjCj72ghJbWAhUs2IMKHVGTAP8QFggoMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbc.ca%2Fnews%2Fcanada%2Fedmo nton%2Fboating-safety-accident-alberta-jeff-lovasz-1.4236510&usg=AFQjCNE2kPCJSDX3u8YBfpub7vfLG3oNwg

trayson
09-08-2017, 12:58 PM
This happened at a lake near me. Some people really are that stupid!
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjCj72ghJbWAhUs2IMKHVGTAP8QFggoMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbc.ca%2Fnews%2Fcanada%2Fedmo nton%2Fboating-safety-accident-alberta-jeff-lovasz-1.4236510&usg=AFQjCNE2kPCJSDX3u8YBfpub7vfLG3oNwg

Why wasn't the pontoon boat held accountable for running him over?!?

The General
09-08-2017, 01:06 PM

I wonder the same thing. Never heard anything else about this after.

trayson
09-08-2017, 01:19 PM
I wonder the same thing. Never heard anything else about this after.

And don't you have socialized medical up there? What kind of medical expenses would he even have? Seems confusing.

Darter
09-08-2017, 06:08 PM

I wonder if this was a hit-and-run case.

Alerberg
09-14-2017, 08:04 PM
I use a little different approach, we go up to them and very nicely explain why it is dangerous and ask them to please stay back when we are surfing. Have had to do this twice, both of them were nice about it and stayed away after our conversation.

trayson
09-14-2017, 08:17 PM
I use a little different approach, we go up to them and very nicely explain why it is dangerous and ask them to please stay back when we are surfing. Have had to do this twice, both of them were nice about it and stayed away after our conversation.

In between sets, that would totally work. But while they're surfing, kinda hard to have a thorough, polite conversation...

ghebert1111
09-14-2017, 08:47 PM
In between sets, that would totally work. But while they're surfing, kinda hard to have a thorough, polite conversation...

Unfortunately I don't come across as very friendly especially in a situation like this. I guess I could have my wife try and explain it.

stillski
10-03-2017, 04:48 PM
No air horn or PA system?

Plan B
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/l5ARrE0Rsn4/maxresdefault.jpg

We break out the old tater gun.

5:00
10-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Propane spud gun. Always wanted to build one of those but have only built the hair spray version.