PDA

View Full Version : '04 Outback rear seat bottom bent....

holt2ton
09-04-2017, 08:06 AM
Hello all, new member and new owner of a really nice '04 Outback. The only thing really wrong on this boat is that the seat bottom is bent from people stepping down off the rear stowage hatch and down into the seat bottom. This has caused both ends of the bottom to bend quite badly. Both bends start right where the aluminum support rib end. Anyone else have this problem? Fix? I can try to post a pic later.

Fastest1
09-04-2017, 01:12 PM
I have an 08 Outback DD and had the same issue. When I had my boat reupholstered last year we tried to address that. The base that was damaged was a plastic item of some kind. We replaced it with a marine grade plywood due to expense.
I have 2 issues with it if I were to do it again.
First get a template. My new base was attempted from the broken one. This makes it just a hair short of being able to make a larger sunning platform, not that I care for that but would have enjoyed full functionality. It works in the lower seat position just as it always did.
We did install the aluminum brace just as the original. Each time out I would see a screw under the seat on the carpet. In a short time almost all had come out. I ripped the brace out, doubled the amount of holes and screws. Using a larger diameter screw also.
I now am adamant about telling people to step down on the sides of the seat and not the middle. I also keep 2 empty antifreeze bottles with the tops on under the seat right around the middle as an extra brace of some sort. They come out easily enough and give people that redneck impression. I havent seen anymore screws on the floor though. Haters are going to hate ;-)

holt2ton
09-05-2017, 06:26 AM
Thanks Fastest1!
I've been mind f**king the hell out of this. I think I'm going to peel the seat cover off and put an aluminum plate in under the seat cushion and on top of the original plastic (Starboard I think is what the material is called) bottom. Then I'm going to either add another rib under the seat assembly or a few "L" shaped brackets that will turn to the short leg when in the lower position and then swing to the long leg when in the upper sundeck position.....who knows!! But I have to do something.

deerfield
09-05-2017, 10:06 PM
I ... am adamant about telling people to step down on the sides of the seat and not the middle.

What he said. Always had people either step over the bench or on the very far sides that were supported. That way my '07 Outback rear bench seat always stayed straight, never lost its shape. Even so, if I had it to do all over (boat sold last year) I would put a center brace under the bench.