PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't everyone do ram fill?

pat6969
09-01-2017, 10:59 PM
Is it a patented design? Seems like a no brainer to me. Fill 2500-3000 lbs in 30 seconds and switch weight in either side in seconds. Love my Mondo, it's a big time boat in a small size, and it surfs great for a 20.5 footer but man, sucks filling bags for 12 minutes 2-3 times in a day.

jmvotto
09-01-2017, 11:15 PM
Don't believe it's certified

sandm
09-02-2017, 03:48 AM
centurion has ramfill.
mb has gate valves.
has shown up on a couple of boats. same basic concept just different ways to reach the same result.
kinda surprised the new supra that I heard has hard tanks didn't install something like this. down side tho is if the gates stick open, your day is done. I have seen an mb have to load on a trailer as one of the gates stuck open and wouldn't drain. fun to watch a half-ballasted boat try to leave the water.

pat6969
09-02-2017, 08:05 AM
I read the Centurion has a manual switch to operate the gates in case of a software failure, not sure about MB.

muehlcj
09-02-2017, 08:29 AM
I read the Centurion has a manual switch to operate the gates in case of a software failure, not sure about MB.

It's not a switch but they can be operated manually. Not something you would want to do over and over in a day though.

KEH
09-02-2017, 10:05 AM
MB's that have the older version of ballast gates have a manual method that requires an allan key (stored with the ballast gate) to open and close if the primary method fails. The electric versions have been known to fail so in 2017 they went back to a manual cable actuated version.

shockthis
09-02-2017, 11:02 AM
You also need hard tanks with additional bags as well, ram fill is not super accurate when filling, so if you are wakeboarding you have to dial it in with the pnp system. So if you need to drain 100lbs to clean the wake up on one side you still have to use pumps. I know on the centurion if you fill everything up for surfing, you are still waiting for the pnp system to fill after you filled the ram fills.

patrick232
09-03-2017, 06:47 AM
Fyi for 2018 skiers choice has went to a 6 pump system fill times much faster and autowake is very quick.

mattsask
09-03-2017, 10:27 AM
Adding 3 more pumps is definitely on my winter project list. Waiting 14 minutes for the Enzo's to fill gets old fast

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

evoimport6
09-03-2017, 10:56 AM
I tested out the fi23 back at wakefest. It is an awesome boat. However they still use pnp systems to fill bags. They use 4900 labs of ballast but only the hard tanks get quick fill. Also the fi is going to be expensive. The boat I tested was msrp at 123k. It is a huge disappointment when it came to money. Boats surfwake was monsterous though.

PuraVida
09-17-2017, 04:36 PM
Adding 3 more pumps is definitely on my winter project list. Waiting 14 minutes for the Enzo's to fill gets old fast

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I am very interested in this mod too. Curious if there is enough available power for the extra 33 total amps. Have you started any research on the project?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pat6969
09-17-2017, 05:34 PM
I tested out the fi23 back at wakefest. It is an awesome boat. However they still use pnp systems to fill bags. They use 4900 labs of ballast but only the hard tanks get quick fill. Also the fi is going to be expensive. The boat I tested was msrp at 123k. It is a huge disappointment when it came to money. Boats surfwake was monsterous though.

The way I understood it has 4K of ramfill and two 400lb bags.

trayson
09-18-2017, 12:42 PM
Ramfill is cool and all. but I remember a morning on my buddy's centurion. The smaller lake was pure glass and I couldn't wait to wakeboard on it. Oh, but we had to fill the ramfill tanks. So we had to motor for like 90 seconds and destroy all my glass so I could have nice ballast to wakeboard on. :-(

dusty2221
09-18-2017, 01:46 PM
centurion has ramfill.
mb has gate valves.
has shown up on a couple of boats. same basic concept just different ways to reach the same result.
kinda surprised the new supra that I heard has hard tanks didn't install something like this. down side tho is if the gates stick open, your day is done. I have seen an mb have to load on a trailer as one of the gates stuck open and wouldn't drain. fun to watch a half-ballasted boat try to leave the water.

The SL has bags under the floor for the new subfloor ballast.

dusty2221
09-18-2017, 01:46 PM
centurion has ramfill.
mb has gate valves.

The SL has bags under the floor for the new subfloor ballast.

lsvboombox
09-19-2017, 10:32 AM
I am very interested in this mod too. Curious if there is enough available power for the extra 33 total amps. Have you started any research on the project?

I am toying with this as well.. looking to add 3 king pumps... You would need to add a series of relays to active the pump in both directions... I am assuming a second battery would probably be smart.. There wouldnt be a drain on the main system as the relays would tell the pumps to start working off of the second battery.. There is a thread on hear that talks about relay wiring... You would need 2 relays for each pump one for fill and one for empty..... I have a '17 craz and there is plenty of room behind the storage walls to add the pumps.. the only question i would have is for the center tank and bow sac I guess you would have to hook the pump directly to the bow sac as the center hard tank doesnt have a second fill location... I would imagine the center and bow sac would have different fill times so that could cause one of the pumps to run while empty as the other is still working(assuming they are both wired together)

patrick232
09-19-2017, 12:14 PM
I am toying with this as well.. looking to add 3 king pumps... You would need to add a series of relays to active the pump in both directions... I am assuming a second battery would probably be smart.. There wouldnt be a drain on the main system as the relays would tell the pumps to start working off of the second battery.. There is a thread on hear that talks about relay wiring... You would need 2 relays for each pump one for fill and one for empty..... I have a '17 craz and there is plenty of room behind the storage walls to add the pumps.. the only question i would have is for the center tank and bow sac I guess you would have to hook the pump directly to the bow sac as the center hard tank doesnt have a second fill location... I would imagine the center and bow sac would have different fill times so that could cause one of the pumps to run while empty as the other is still working(assuming they are both wired together)

Don't forget to add some holes to the bottom of the boat as 1 will not feed 6 pumps.

lsvboombox
09-19-2017, 01:50 PM
Don't forget to add some holes to the bottom of the boat as 1 will not feed 6 pumps.

that would be the next item to tackle, but is the factory only using 1 thru hull to feed 3 pumps currently?

PuraVida
09-19-2017, 02:01 PM
I have 3 holes, one for each pump in a 16 mojo. Curious if you could run 2 pumps per hole without a major loss in flow. Anyone know how the 18s run the 6 pump system?

mattsask
09-19-2017, 02:09 PM
I seem to remember drew tinker making a comment on the Facebook page about this particular question. He basically said that through their testing, the 6 pumps will draw as much water as they need through the same three holes.

As for the IBS/ center tank. I was thinking I'd just run the center tank on the timed switch and then add a switch and pump dedicated to the IBS, then add one of those wakemakers inline ballast timers.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

sandm
09-20-2017, 03:42 AM
I ran dual pumps off a single 1" thru hull on the last boat. both pumps were not starved for water and had good flow. factory pump used 3/4" line, added pump used 1" line to the bags. would do the same setup again only would swap out the 3/4 for 1". The red rule pumps were good for it.

PuraVida
09-21-2017, 10:31 AM
I did a bit of investigating on my 16 mojo and here are some numbers:

3 Pumps @ 11.5 amps, each need 20amps of fuse protection
60 amp breaker feeds the PDM where i assume the timers are?
Each pump is individually wired to the PDM

Would it be possible to upgrade the breaker to 120 amps and splice the wiring to each individual pump to run 2 pumps each for a total of 6 pumps?
Splicing the wire would remove the need for additional timers and timer syncing issues.
Would the PDM be able to handle this extra load?
Not sure what PDM stands for. The part is labeled PDM 12V Skiers Choice. 2623226233