PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for a new boat? and if so which one?

bluemobius
08-28-2017, 03:54 PM
We are finally considering getting a new boat and selling our 06 LSV. I have several concerns though:
1. I have ridden the new Craz and loved the boat, however my LSV with 3600lbs ballast and a suck gate throws a much better surf wave. I have also read several posts with the same being said of the Mojo.
2. I like the thoughts of moving to a new Supra but with a budget of 80k I would be looking at an SR and again I'm worried that the surf wave will not meet expectations. I'm hoping to demo one soon.
3. I have seen some used 15 model SEs and SAs for close to my range but not sure what differences there are between model years. Anyone with experience on these boats please chime in.
4. With 500 hrs, mostly idling around with small children, I know our boat would last for many years to come. I've done a lot of upgrades to keep it current (flooring, decals, bags, speakers, amp, stargazer) but I am to the point I need some more upholstery work, another amp, interior speakers, and pump upgrades. Another 5k into an 06 or 50k (assuming I get 30k for mine) into something newer... My head hurts thinking about it. I would love to hear from you guys with a similar situation.

KG's Supra24
08-28-2017, 04:47 PM
I'd say most of the "weak wave" comments stem from buyers who haven't surfed before and simply aren't catching on as quick as they'd hoped. All of these boats throw a large enough wave, with stock ballast alone, to surf.

For me, coming from an 06 Supra, it was about the simplicity of the new systems. Throw bigger bags in one of the newer models and it will surf right with your maxed out LSV or better. It will do it in a much simpler manner too, especially if you have riders on both sides of the boat.

Talking SE to SR ... I'd identify what, other than price, is important to you. Those are drastically different size boats.

Quick thoughts ...

1. You probably have but I'd consider them mostly incorrect.
2. Supra's are sweet
3. 15 SA is the boat that sits low in the water. 16 was a new body SA. 15 SE will be missing some newer options but the boat is mostly the same.
4. Tough question. Will go back to what's important.

beat taco
08-28-2017, 06:00 PM
Buy my buddies SA
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170828/d5dd74a3624ff944e856479a9140e3f0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

sivs1
08-28-2017, 06:24 PM
I would consider replacing my SA with a SA....

patrick232
08-28-2017, 08:19 PM
The SR is a great boat and feels larger than a sub 21' boat. Right out of the box with 2 people on board we surfed ropeless. Ours will be listed shortly in the low $90k. Let me know if you have any questions about the boat or want some pictures

wolfeman131
08-28-2017, 08:48 PM
SR vs a 2016+ SA is an unfair fight. The SA will far outperform and, IMO, hold value much better.

I'd you're considering a SA, seriously check out the one beat taco posted. Tyler keeps his toys as nice as anyone and it would be worth every $ to have that boat shipped to you.

bluemobius
08-28-2017, 09:08 PM
Thanks for all of your input. I live near Asheville NC so it would have to be a really fantastic deal. I will have to see it in person before spending that kind of money. I'm pretty meticulous with my stuff as well. I have noticed that there are not very many used SAs on the market so they must be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
08-28-2017, 09:59 PM
Try this:

2015 SE 6.2L 440 motor with 150 hours from KY - $84,900.
Blue and Gray Flake - Good looking ride.
The only downfall is the stereo system.

I would be looking at a used SE/SA over a new SR any day of the week.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2015-SUPRA-SE450-LOW-HOURS-Financing-Options--for-sale-Kentucky-58055.aspx

bluemobius
08-28-2017, 10:02 PM
Yep, that's one I'm looking at. There are 2 more in that range with lower hours as well that are pretty close to me.

beat taco
08-28-2017, 11:38 PM
My buddy with the SA gets a new one every year and it is perfect, complete boat bling wipe down after every use in and out. He's asking 89k and it's loaded. On top of factory options it has full Gatorstep and Exile treatment as he has great relationships with both companies.

MJHSupra
08-29-2017, 01:06 PM
My buddy with the SA gets a new one every year and it is perfect, complete boat bling wipe down after every use in and out. He's asking 89k and it's loaded. On top of factory options it has full Gatorstep and Exile treatment as he has great relationships with both companies.

Those last two items are big ticket items to be added in to the decision. That has to be the cleanest SA out there.
There was just a nice, super-clean looking, 2017 SE what was Red/Gray/Black from Oregon that was just sold.
I noticed it on Fbook. But that was listed around $107K.

That SE for $85K would need the Exile or Wet Sounds upgrade to do it justice.
What, $5-10K depending on how much work you can do?

beat taco
08-29-2017, 01:11 PM
Those last two items are big ticket items to be added in to the decision. That has to be the cleanest SA out there.
There was just a nice, super-clean looking, 2017 SE what was Red/Gray/Black from Oregon that was just sold.

What, $5-10K depending on how much work you can do?Yep they are good friends (B&R is the first letter of their last names) and both get new boats every year. I've spent plenty of time on both boats. They are absolutely beautiful, and huge!

jmvotto
08-29-2017, 03:18 PM
Heidi at Atlanta marine has a beautiful Demoed SA. Green and black

Great price

bluemobius
08-29-2017, 04:13 PM
I like that one as well but can't decide if I will love lime green 10 years from now. We are setup to go demo some so we will see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bluemobius
08-29-2017, 04:22 PM

What, $5-10K depending on how much work you can do?

I can handle pretty much any upgrade but hopefully for that much i can find something that will be good enough for a while. There is another one in Texas I love but it's a little higher hours and price. It is sweet though. Maybe I should wait another year and save 10k... Lol this is exactly why I have waited this long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
08-29-2017, 07:42 PM
Yep they are good friends (B&R is the first letter of their last names) and both get new boats every year. I've spent plenty of time on both boats. They are absolutely beautiful, and huge!

Sent from my SM-G930V using TapatalkHa ha. Those are two good buds to have - ones' that get new boats each year and take you out.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
08-29-2017, 07:54 PM
I can handle pretty much any upgrade but hopefully for that much i can find something that will be good enough for a while. There is another one in Texas I love but it's a little higher hours and price. It is sweet though. Maybe I should wait another year and save 10k... Lol this is exactly why I have waited this long.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkIt's all about timing. Now that the 18s are here, you have people selling really nice 1-2 year old boats with low hours.

With the market good, they will sell. Lots of people looking to upgrade with all the new tech out there.

You will also see this at boat show time.

At other times, there is not a good selection to choose from.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
08-29-2017, 08:42 PM
Heidi at Atlanta marine has a beautiful Demoed SA. Green and black

Great price

With the bigger motor.

patrick232
08-29-2017, 11:08 PM
So those putting down the SR how many have been on it? We used my boat to pull demo rides at the PWT event and many couldn't believe which boat it was. Yes it's shorter but that's about it. Also many people have length limits and it's the only sub 22' boat in the Supra line. There will soon be used SR boats on the market.

MJHSupra
08-30-2017, 02:34 PM
So those putting down the SR how many have been on it? We used my boat to pull demo rides at the PWT event and many couldn't believe which boat it was. Yes it's shorter but that's about it. Also many people have length limits and it's the only sub 22' boat in the Supra line. There will soon be used SR boats on the market.

There are nice SCs on the market, and there is nothing wrong with that boat/model either. I assume the SR has more room.
The local Knoxville Dealer has a used 2015 SC 400. Appx 170 Hours. Red and Gray. Throws a great surf wave.

I would still rather have the bigger motor.

bluemobius
09-04-2017, 07:11 PM
Now I'm even more confused... we tested a new Craz because the dealer thought we just didn't have it setup correctly when we rode our friends'. Granted it was a little better but my 06 still has it beat. So we decided to go ahead and demo a 17 SA. The boat was immaculate and we loved the color scheme. While putting the boat in the water I was running numbers trying to justify the money to buy it. But then when I got on the board there wasn't even enough wave for me to throw the rope in! The guys at the dealership were all awesome and I really enjoyed working with them. They told me the boat just needed more weight and were even willing to swap the bags and bring the boat to us if we decided to buy.
For over 100k I was expecting to be blown away by the stock wave and it was needless to say disappointing. Now, an acquaintance says he will sell me his 2013 G23 with 200 hrs in my range. He's a really cool guy and I'm sure he will treat me right But that is 4 yrs old! Comps are listed for more than what he is asking but that is a lot of money for something with no warranty.
However I have surfed it and it is amazing and completely stock with tons of storage. All input is appreciated.

russellsmojo
09-04-2017, 08:25 PM
On the SA comment. I added 200 pounds of lead in my 2016 and loved the wave. Consistent and a ton of fun. I would not even consider a 2013 g against a 2017 SA for same money. New boat, warranty, surf storage, autowake for wakeboarding, load it with lead. It's a new boat instead of a 5 year old boat. 2017 SA all day!!

On a completely different note, I recently went out and rode a 2016 SE all stock. Wave was big and long. I struggled to get way back and recover. I could ride it but it was work. Parker Payne was riding in the boat on my demo. I asked him to get in and try it. He was throwing every trick he has. Switching sides, spinning the board, riding switch. Heck I could read the brand on his fins he was jumping so high. My point is we are amateurs. That is all. I need to focus on getting better versus seeking this perfect wave!

bluemobius
09-04-2017, 08:34 PM
Sure, I am not a pro and I'm also riding a hybrid board (byerly buzz which I love) but I am comparing boats to what I currently have to see if it is worth spending over $100K! I am 38 years old so if anything I will probably get worse lol. By the way the G23 is 25k less than the new SA.

russellsmojo
09-04-2017, 08:54 PM
I agree on age! I turn 40 in a month. So probably not getting any better but will keep trying.

$25k changes perspective for sure. I would think at this point in the year you might could break $100k mark. Especially with 2018 changes out.

stevemarich
09-04-2017, 10:29 PM
When we test road a craz last year it was just the standard surf not the surf max ,and it wasn't very impressive, but after spending the summer in one there were a few things that could have helped to make it better as far as setting it up , with the Wake makers 1140s 250-300 under the port seat in front of rear bags , set the 18 autowake software to factory settings, with only a driver in the boat we can ride a skim board about 10-15 ft back with alot of push mid wave, when more people or when I fill the factory 650 and put it on the floor it is a pretty amazing wave, we quit filling the extra bag the last couple outings , really didn't see a need , but an sa or g23 would be pretty sick , after 95hrs this year definitely happy with what we got for what we paid

snyderaaron
09-04-2017, 11:16 PM
Last year I traded my 2010 LSV in for a 2016 Mojo. I believe the 2010 and 2006 had the same hull. I hated my my Mojo last year. I felt like I constantly have to work to stay in the wave. This year I changed a few things. I already had 1280s in the rear, so now I throw an 800lbs ronix bag on the floor in the back. I have 100lbs of steel on each side under the bags. Then I put 300lbs of steel on the port side. I run wakeplate all the way up and speed at 11.2. Had great push, then I upgraded my board to a phase 5 and I'm getting a huge right calf putting on the brakes. The new boats have so much free board that it takes a lot more weight to displace water and create push. I wouldn't go back to my LSV now.

bluemobius
09-05-2017, 12:31 AM
I know the feeling on the calf workout when I ride on another friends' inland surfer!
Thanks for the info guys. This is exactly what i needed to help me make an informed decision as well as help my buddy with the new Craz out. I have a spare 1100 that I will throw on his when we go out again.

stevemarich
09-05-2017, 01:10 AM
Not sure if the link worked

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

stevemarich
09-05-2017, 01:30 AM
Maybe it will work now, this is with the 1140s 250ish under port seat, one driver and one180lb passenger on port side, still in the leaning curve second season surfing, but with the boat set up right its still puts out a decent wake, was using the autowake too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkzCmaf8jzE

snyderaaron
09-05-2017, 09:20 PM
One other I enjoy about the Mojo is that I can slam it with weight and feel safe. Sometimes when I did it with my LSV the water seemed really close to coming over the sides or taking rollers easier.

bluemobius
09-05-2017, 10:44 PM
One other I enjoy about the Mojo is that I can slam it with weight and feel safe. Sometimes when I did it with my LSV the water seemed really close to coming over the sides or taking rollers easier.

True. I had three teenage boys riding with us in the bow this weekend and I soaked them several times!

KnoxMojo
09-05-2017, 10:58 PM
$ for $, we love the space and everything about our Mojo, except the tower, don't care for the OZ HD tower. But the boat is awesome, throws huge waves and wakes for boarding. You could probably find a 2017 at a great deal. Upgrade the ballast and stereo, throw a fresh air exhaust on it and go have fun!!!!

Isaguel
09-06-2017, 09:14 PM
$ for $, we love the space and everything about our Mojo, except the tower, don't care for the OZ HD tower. But the boat is awesome, throws huge waves and wakes for boarding. You could probably find a 2017 at a great deal. Upgrade the ballast and stereo, throw a fresh air exhaust on it and go have fun!!!!

How did you upgrade to FAE on your Mojo. Is it a kit you buy?

moombahighrider
09-06-2017, 09:49 PM
How did you upgrade to FAE on your Mojo. Is it a kit you buy?

http://www.freshairexhaust.com

KnoxMojo
09-06-2017, 11:46 PM
Yeah, ordered from fresh air exhaust, put it on in about an hour or so while it was on the lift. My buddy helped me from the dock while I sat on my paddleboard. I love the thing! Cabin is quitter, stereo is louder, no exhaust smell

MJHSupra
09-07-2017, 02:47 PM
Yeah, ordered from fresh air exhaust, put it on in about an hour or so while it was on the lift. My buddy helped me from the dock while I sat on my paddleboard. I love the thing! Cabin is quitter, stereo is louder, no exhaust smell

Is that around $500 for the 2015 Mojo?