PDA

View Full Version : Adding Perko, which size battery wiring?

Darter
08-25-2017, 09:05 PM
I currently have a single battery and want to add a perko switch and 2nd battery. My factory battery leads for the engine are 2/0 gauge.

Does that mean that the added leads from the perko to the batteries and between the batteries also need to be 2/0? All new leads will be 2 feet or less in length.

Also, what's the easiest way to change the positive cable post connector to a ring connector? Is there a power buss block with both a battery post and ring studs on it?

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

Darter
08-25-2017, 10:01 PM
Can I stick one of these on a 3/8 stud buss block? I'd have the stereo and amps on this block too, and then a cable to the common post on the perko.

Darter
08-25-2017, 10:02 PM
That is, one of these...

Pico 0844pt Lead Charging Post - 3/8stud https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QRTXEK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_vxnOzbTFA76EV

MLA
08-26-2017, 09:33 AM
Id spend a couple more bucks and get a Blue Sea switch over a Perko. Much better built switch. Longer studs, deeper body and the cables can enter/exit on all 4 sides.

You will want to solder on a 2/0 ring terminal in place of a standard battery end and terminate direct to the switch.

I build all my battery banks with 1/0

Darter
08-28-2017, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestion on the Blue Sea. Saw that on Amazon as being better rated and wondered about it. I'll check that out.

If I get 3/8" ring terminals all the way around, should I be all set and ok? Or is smaller preferred for better contact with the posts? I just don't want to run into a situation where a future replacement battery ends up with bigger posts than my wiring is set up for.

MLA
08-28-2017, 03:36 PM
In a perfect world, you will want the proper ring size for each stud. Most marine batteries use a 5/16" threaded stud. Some use a 3/8" on the + and typical 5/16" on the -. The Bluesea switch uses 3/8". Leave an extra inch or two on the battery + cables at the battery ends for a needed terminal swap, if it ever came about.

BrettLee3232
08-30-2017, 12:21 PM
In a perfect world, you will want the proper ring size for each stud. Most marine batteries use a 5/16" threaded stud. Some use a 3/8" on the + and typical 5/16" on the -. The Bluesea switch uses 3/8". Leave an extra inch or two on the battery + cables at the battery ends for a needed terminal swap, if it ever came about.

PM sent [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk