PDA

View Full Version : White Smoke

Davpmars
08-24-2017, 01:21 PM
Hey Guys,

Every once in a while, when I am surfing, I can see a white smoke coming out of the engine area. Any ideas what that could be?

It's on a 2013 LSV.

moomba156
08-24-2017, 01:23 PM
I have the same on my helix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sivs1
08-24-2017, 01:27 PM
Burning down the house!

I have had it on my LSV and on my SA. More frequently when I'm on the water when it's colder outside. Basically I think it is just steam as mine has had really no smell to it.

kaneboats
08-24-2017, 01:29 PM
It is steam from your exhaust which is water vapor mixed with carbon monoxide. It is why I went with a Fresh Air Exhaust. You can't see the carbon monoxide but you can see the steam.

Davpmars
08-24-2017, 01:39 PM
It is steam from your exhaust which is water vapor mixed with carbon monoxide. It is why I went with a Fresh Air Exhaust. You can't see the carbon monoxide but you can see the steam.

This would make sense. I didn't think it was the case because the catalytic converters are withing the engine compartment but are you saying it is the exhaust that is coming out of the back of the boat in the water?

mmandley
08-24-2017, 02:00 PM
Catalytic converters don't block everything they are only to protect the environment not people

Carbon Monoxide is very real behind boats even with Cats.

The steam you see if from water exiting the exhaust is hotter then your lake water, this causes steam effect. Same as you breathing outside when it's cold out

Davpmars
08-25-2017, 09:37 AM
Thanks everyone. This gives me some peace of mind.

gregski
08-25-2017, 12:57 PM
Every once in a while, when I am surfing, I can see a white smoke coming out of the engine area.

Just to clarify, is this coming out the back of the boat with the exhaust, or inside the engine compartment? The "steam" that everyone mentioned is normal, especially with cooler air, but not if it's from inside the boat.

Davpmars
08-25-2017, 04:40 PM
No, it's coming out with the exhaust