PDA

View Full Version : New tower speak amp advice

Ironcross25
08-21-2017, 04:28 PM
I have 4 Roswell tower speakers as seen in the pic. My kicker amp seems to be toast. I added 2 used speakers and one sounded like it was going bad and sent it into protection. Worked fine the time before. I unhooked it and it came out of protection to only go back in the next day and stay in protection. I have them wired in series. I unhooked the rcas and speakers to see if it would come out of protection and it didn't work. All power and grounds are good.

I'm not trying to break the bank but want a good option to power 4 of the Roswell tower speakers. I believe are 75w rms each and 150 for the pair. I am replacing the 2 of them so I know I have 4 good. I want to make sure I have the amp to power them. I would be running in series now but can dedicate wires once I pull the boat and bring home for the winter. Thanks

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170821/1b1cfb01f29422b9d1a37c13a821af40.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLA
08-21-2017, 04:49 PM
Wet Sounds HTX-2 is my first choice and the Kicker KXMA400.2 would be my next. This is based solely on the wattage output, not based on any build quality factors. Both are solid. Either amp deserves having the OEM power cabling upgraded from 8ga to 4ga.

Why are you wiring them in series, not parallel? This drops you amp wattage thus speaker output, considerably. 4 pairs of wiring is not needed, just need 2 pair or 4 conductors. With the above amp, a 14/4 would do or even better, go 12/4 for a future upgrade.

hscraz
08-21-2017, 07:56 PM
Not trying to hijack but would either of those amps be a major improvement over the stock setup? I have a 16 craz with the 4 tower speakers, sub and bow speakers. It all sounds pretty good but it's just not that loud and not a whole lot of bass from the sub. I don't really know much about audio so would an amp change make that much difference?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ironcross25
08-21-2017, 08:13 PM
Good question. I'm not super versed on audio, more of a gear head. I pretty much just chose to do it that way until the end of season. I wung it for the most part. Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLA
08-21-2017, 08:26 PM
IIRC, the Kicker option for that year would have been the KX200.2. If so, thats 50W rms to each speaker. The Kicker KXMA400.2 would be 2X so 100W rms to each and the HTX-2 would be an available 150W rms for each. Thats a significant difference.

hscraz
08-21-2017, 08:42 PM
Boats 30 min away so I can't look at the amp but I'm sure youre right about what it is. If I went to the different kicker amp would it all wire up the same and would the stock speakers handle the extra wattage OK? Thanks for the help I'm really wanting the simplest solution without having to replace multiple components if possible.

MLA
08-21-2017, 08:58 PM
Pretty much any 2 chnl amp would be a near plug and play in regards to the speaker wires, RCA and power cables. The main difference being which side the connections are on. However, I do suggest upgrading the positive and negative power cables to 4 gauge. The runs are short, so 8ga is not going to be unsafe if retained. But for a small investment, you get a larger gauge cable to feed the amp.

Im comfortable with both those amp choices driving those speakers, although the HTX2 might be gained down a little from its 150W potential.

hscraz
08-21-2017, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the help I'll definitely look into both those. I'm planning on that being one of my winter projects for sure.