PDA

View Full Version : Mobius LS listing to right

Doobie
08-24-2006, 04:33 PM
I have a '05 Mobius LS that leans significantly to the right. This puts the wakes completely out of balance. Anyone else had this problem? I have tried everything including sending the boat back to Skiers Choice. They say it is fine. The lean is way more than a little prop tourgue, 5" of lean at slalom speed. The dealer agrees with me and thinks Skiers Choice should warranty the hull but they won't. The only thing I can think to do now is sell the boat and move on to another brand. If Skiers CHoice built one crooked hull there must be a few more out there. I figure they are so busy now and can't keep up with sales why would they hand out a new hull on warranty. Suggestions?

NCSUmoomba
08-25-2006, 02:00 PM
So how many people are in the boat? These boats are very sensitive to weight distribution. If there is one person driving towing one person skiing and no one else in the boat, then it will do that. So just put some weight on the "passenger" side.

Doobie
08-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Shifting weight does fix the problem. Adding a 400 lb fat sac to the passenger side levels things out. I don't really see this as a permanent fix though. The extra 400 lbs makes the slalom wake even but huge. And it is rather inconvenient to always be driving around with a fat sac on the floor.

JoeTechie
08-27-2006, 12:33 PM
The LS is NOT a ski hull. It is a wakeboard hull. If you are looking for true ski performance - you would need to go down to the base Outback, or look elsewhere. Moomba is currently a wakeboard brand, and skiers are an afterthought. They are going for what is most popular. It is a sound business decission, but it may leave people out at times if they are looking for ski perfection. Any true skiboat needs the flattest hull possible. The LS and LSV lines share a hull - and as of '03 or so it is a convex hull to allow greater wake creation. Also - true skiboats are designed to balance with a driver and an observer of equal weight. If you're 190# and the observer is your 99# girlfriend, the boat will not be in true balance. That is how sensitive they are.
This is true of ANY brand or make of towboats that I know of.

Hope this helps,

Joe

deepcove
08-27-2006, 07:27 PM
Joe,

I don't think asking for a balanced wake is asking for perfection. If thats how sensative they are then 400 lbs would over correct the problem by a long shot.

Doobie,

Don't know if this helps but I found I had a similar list when I switched from the standard OJ prop to an ACME 543 which I attribute to more prop torque. it wasn't extreme but it was noticable. I use my boat primarily for wakeskating so it is annoying to have more wash on the port side of the boat when doing lip slides etc. I have added 100 LBS of lead under the observers seat to help eliminate the problem. also I find the wake is way more sensative with extra weight compared to when running with no ballast.

JoeTechie
08-28-2006, 12:01 AM
He didn't say he filled the 400# sack.

;)

Doobie
09-07-2006, 11:06 AM
Obviously all boats are sensitive to weight distribution. My observations are always based on a balanced load (one driver, one passenger of equal weight.) The boat doesn't level out until an extra 400 lbs is added to the passenger side. It doesn't matter if this is a ski hull or not. The wakes should be equal regardless of size. Moomba built a crooked hull and now they have refused to fix it or warranty it. This is my third Moomba, the customer service used to be great. They have gotten too big and too busy now to care.

NCSUmoomba
09-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Yea, 400# extra on the port side is a little excessive. That is really strange. However, it seems unlikely that the hull is screwed up since they are all made from molds. If yours is messed up, then a bunch of them would be messed up until the noticed that the mold was out of whack. Maybe they accidentally left 8 or 10 extra batteries under the starboard side floor! I wish I could be more help, I feel for you man!