PDA

View Full Version : lake minnewaska, minnesota

moombadaze
08-24-2006, 04:01 PM
anyone up there with a ski boat, couple of questions.
wifes familie has a reunion up at this lake about every 2 years, so there
planning for spring of 2007,, thinking about making a long drive with the boat.
plans are for 3rd week in june, weather???-water temp?? would it be worth bringing the boat??any recomendations for traveling long distance with boat in tow??

thanks to all who answer

stacy

this lake is about 2 hours north west of mineapilis

BensonWdby
08-24-2006, 10:54 PM
I think you will be fine. I used to ski in a lake 3 hrs north of Mpls and we normally started skiing on Memorial day with no wet suit. Middle of May with wetsuit. Third week in June would be a definite yes. It's not the arctic circle you know ....

Dave

PS.

You can get info on the lake at
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/index.html

smokedog2
08-25-2006, 08:41 AM
It is too the article circle. The tundra is just 80 miles north!

I told people that when I lived in LA, they all, and I mean all believed me.

The ice should be out and given my experience with family reunions - bring the escape vehicle.

Suggestions:

Milfoil is an issue up there, do not bring it home with you.

Lub the axels, get a spare tire.

I would consider getting those foam blocks like you carry canoes on your roof with to place strategically between tie downs and the boat. Tie them to the tie down so you do not lose them in route.

Pull a real rope through the boat cover and attach a rope ratchet at the back end (don’t tear the cover).

An inflated tube would help life & tighten the cover.

Bring neoprene. All of it.

Be sure you have a secure place to park the boat. Lots of lakes (most) do not have gas on them.

mads0113
08-25-2006, 10:16 AM
I have lived in MN my whole life and by the second weekend in June you will be fine. We usually hit the lakes the second weekend in May (a little cold then) but by the time you are going to be here the average temps will be in the mid 80's and the water temp will be right up there too

Be prepared to battle it out with anglers for prime locations to get a good run in though. I suggest hitting the lake early, nothing beats skiing a northern mn lake at dawn.

mads0113
08-25-2006, 10:17 AM
I have lived in MN my whole life and by the second weekend in June you will be fine. We usually hit the lakes the second weekend in May (a little cold then) but by the time you are going to be here the average temps will be in the mid 80's and the water temp will be right up there too

Be prepared to battle it out with anglers for prime locations to get a good run in though. I suggest hitting the lake early, nothing beats skiing a northern mn lake at dawn.

ABUCKOTOMAMBO
09-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Greetings from FARGO ND! By the end of June the water will be excellent. If you are into the third week of June really we are talking, summer 2007. If June 2007 is anything like like 2006 water temp will be not too hot, not too cold, but JUST RIGHT! Kind of like GOLDYLOCKS!

When you live in the north country Neoprene is for April and November!!

If you run into any problem with your Moomba there is an awsome dealer in Nisswa MN! I wish I would have bought from them!

ABUCKOTOMAMBO
09-03-2006, 12:25 AM
Florida to MN is a long haul. Do you have a duel axle trailer?

MADS... makes a great comment. Sunrise and Dusk are the best times to make ski run's. Seem's that the afternoon sun always stirs up the WIND in the Midwest.....

Don't forget your skeeter spray