PDA

View Full Version : Steering Mystery

Alerberg
08-20-2017, 12:00 PM
Anyone,

I have a 2015 Moomba Mondo. When the boat is on the lift, steering is easy both directions I can use one finger to turn the wheel. However, when the boat is in the water, at any speed, especially at 20 mph and up, the steering gets very tight when turning to the left. So tight it requires two hands just to hold it. Forget about turning sharp to the left. This only happens turning left.

I can't figure this out. Any help is appreciated!

Al

moombahighrider
08-20-2017, 12:16 PM
Anyone,

I have a 2015 Moomba Mondo. When the boat is on the lift, steering is easy both directions I can use one finger to turn the wheel. However, when the boat is in the water, at any speed, especially at 20 mph and up, the steering gets very tight when turning to the left. So tight it requires two hands just to hold it. Forget about turning sharp to the left. This only happens turning left.

I can't figure this out. Any help is appreciated!

Al

What prop are you running? I have experienced issues where prop wash affects the steering in one direction versus the other. Specifically going down from a 15" prop to a 14" created this issue (I was using a 14" prop I had from my old boat to test on the new boat). Going back to a 14.5" or 15" stopped the problem.

Alerberg
08-20-2017, 07:48 PM
Very interesting... I replaced my prop this year, went down to a 14.5... I have an old prop still laying around. I hope to goodness that is not the problem. It was expensive. You are the first person to mention this possibility. Thank You!

supra790
08-25-2017, 06:09 AM
What is the purpose of dropping from 15" prop to a 14.5 ? What is the advantage of going smaller ?

2016 Supra SG 450