PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed - older Supra 21V (2006ish) or 2008/09 Moomba LSV

Bamalums
08-15-2017, 09:20 PM
New member and just sold our Fish and Ski boat since my son is now 11 and really into wakeboarding and wake surfing. We have mooched off our lake buddies Nautique direct drives and now a Malibu 23 LSV (sweet boat) for the last two years for a good wake for him but he loves the wake on the Malibu so I know its time for a V Drive.

Anyways, definitely going with a 21 foot boat based on the size of our boat slip (24 ft from v to end) so the platform isn't hanging out and we usually wont have more than our 4 in the boat. Sometimes 8. Sometimes 10.

So my question is, with a budget of 30 to 35K would I be better with a 2006 Supra 21V that is clean and 300 hours or a newer Moomba LSV 2009 that looks clean with 350 hours. Prices are similar.

I understand the 21V wake is steeper which may not be great for my 11 year old as he gets better at wakeboarding? All 4 of us like to surf. A comfortable ride is also very important. My wife is tired of getting beat up in our 18 foot stratos that we sold so anything is better but is one better than the other?

Thanks for any advice to help my make an informed decision.

Patrick Sedlak
08-15-2017, 09:49 PM
We bought a 2007 Moomba LSV this Spring w/700 hrs on it and love it. If you can get a 2008/09 LSV with 350 hours for 30-35k, that seems fair. Great wakeboard wake, 750's in the rear, 300 in the locker & a 650 bow bag, and you will be surprised with the surf wave. The ride is pretty good, will probably be much better than an 18 footer. We passed up a Supra for a. Odom a and could 't be happier.

Bamalums
08-15-2017, 10:16 PM
Thanks. I was leaning Moomba early but got to reading about the 21v and it has me wondering.

KnoxMojo
08-16-2017, 06:04 AM
Compare specs and try to take out each for a ride. I would assume the Moomba would be a bit narrower than the Supra with both being the same length. If you haven't already, get on the Supra and Moomba owners facebook page, there are a lot of boats for sale on there.

smokedog2
08-16-2017, 06:32 AM
A friend has the Supra. Great Surf boat and handles well. The most options - heater, Perfect pass, stereo, etc would carry the day with me. Check the vinyl, we are replacing it in places now. A little every year or so. Check the prop and alignment. That can be expensive.

Bamalums
08-16-2017, 08:19 AM
Compare specs and try to take out each for a ride. I would assume the Moomba would be a bit narrower than the Supra with both being the same length. If you haven't already, get on the Supra and Moomba owners facebook page, there are a lot of boats for sale on there.
I think the Moomba is a few inches longer and the Supra is a few inches wider. But the playpen bow in the Supra looks more narrow than the walk through of the LSV. Guess I cant go wrong with either. Just thinking all things equal (Vinyl condition, hours, motor performance, options, prop alignment condition, etc) maybe grabbing a Moomba a few years newer will be better in the long run should I decide to sell and upgrade down the road.

Leebo
08-16-2017, 09:09 AM
What Knox said - specs. You identified physical layout and vinyl condition and that's really important.

What abt ballast bags (IBS & 1100s in the rear for surfing?), ballast pumps (Johnson reversibles?), FAE, prop (for all that ballast), perfect pass (speed-based, either paddle-wheel or GPS) or Moomba Cruise (RPM-based). All of those are $500-1k each. None of those are required but most of us w/ the LSV have done all of it.

Post what each has here and it will be thoroughly debated. Luck!

Bamalums
08-16-2017, 01:55 PM
Change of plans as supra is gone. Two boats I'm eyeing at the same price point... pros and cons?

2009 Moomba LSV is here https://www.onlyinboards.com/2009-Moomba-M-bius-LSV-for-sale-Brandon-Mississippi-67287.aspx

Newly listed 2005 Malibu VLX with Just u dear 500 hours is here https://tntwatersports.com/boats-for-sale/2005-Malibu-21-VLX/US-MB2K0030H405

Both are 3 hours away in completely different directions. Talked to dealer on Malibu and it runs good and ballasts and perfect pass work. Little bit of discoloring on some of cream seats you can kind of see in pics. Carpet under drivers seat looks spotty and the cover needs replacing.

KG's Supra24
08-16-2017, 02:14 PM
I believe Bu had two different hulls during those years. I'd make sure it doesn't have the diamond hull.

Same money, I'd go Moomba with the issues you have listed on the VLX. (I did not look closely at ads)

KnoxMojo
08-16-2017, 02:22 PM
Tough decision, I would ask if the Malibu has the wake hull or the diamond hull. That Moomba looks nice, I would ask for more photos. You're not really comparing apples to apples, but I would always go with the newest boat that I could. The ride of the Moomba with the wake plate will be better IMO

Bamalums
08-16-2017, 04:22 PM
Tough decision, I would ask if the Malibu has the wake hull or the diamond hull. That Moomba looks nice, I would ask for more photos. You're not really comparing apples to apples, but I would always go with the newest boat that I could. The ride of the Moomba with the wake plate will be better IMO

Malibu has V25 hull. 1st year it changed. Thing looks nice from pics and I love the color

KnoxMojo
08-16-2017, 05:25 PM
Just a thought for you, have you considered finding a left over brand new Helix or Mondo? Depending on interest rate and term, you could have a brand new modern boat with a 5 year warranty for about the same payment as a 10 or 12 year old boat.....

Bamalums
08-16-2017, 06:19 PM
Just a thought for you, have you considered finding a left over brand new Helix or Mondo? Depending on interest rate and term, you could have a brand new modern boat with a 5 year warranty for about the same payment as a 10 or 12 year old boat.....

Doing this as cash, hate owing money for stuff other than a house with kids college coming in 4 years.

KG's Supra24
08-16-2017, 09:56 PM
I haven't shopped boats in a while but for fun i set only inboard to 25 to 35 and did a quick scroll through of what caught my eye. Links below. You have probably seen all these so i tried to comment on why each caught my attention.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2007-Super-Air-Nautique-210-TEAM-ED.-for-sale-Edmond-Oklahoma-68540.aspx - solid wake, proven and known boat, cc reliability and quality

ttps://www.onlyinboards.com/2003-Mastercraft-X2-X-Star-XSeries-for-sale-Atlanta-Georgia-68689.aspx

Proven wake, quality interior

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2006-Tige-22VE-Clean-Ballast-Sound-System-Many-Upgrades-for-sale-Conroe-Texas-67748.aspx

Surf boat although i believe it is a little large

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2006-Moomba-M-bius-LSV-for-sale-Brandon-Mississippi-67241.aspx

The lsv is going to perform similary from 2006 on if you want to save some cash and get an older model. Interior will be suspect to needing changed in most boats that age

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2005-Supra-22ssv-for-sale-Knoxville-Tennessee-68280.aspx

Good all around boat but a bit bigger than you want

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2009-Moomba-Mobius-LSV-for-sale-Morton-Mississippi-67672.aspx

Because it is similar to the other boat you are looking at

I'm not necessarily advocating those boats for those prices but those are the boats/hulls that stood out to me in 35k search.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

smokedog2
08-17-2017, 06:14 AM
Get the Moomba. Be done with it. Go boating. You are young enough, when the oldest hits boarding, you will be getting a new boat anyway.

Bamalums
08-17-2017, 08:41 AM
Get the Moomba. Be done with it. Go boating. You are young enough, when the oldest hits boarding, you will be getting a new boat anyway.

42 with a 14 and 11 year old both wakeboarding and surfing. Not planning on buying another for a while as college will be calling and sororities, etc

KnoxMojo
08-17-2017, 12:49 PM
Save yourself the headache of what can sometimes be a used boat, maybe take the money that you would pay cash and throw it all down on a new boat with a 5 year worry free warranty. I know you said you want to pay cash and be done with it, but your payment would be pretty small and I am sure you could have it paid off by the time your first kid goes to college......other than that, there is a 2009 Axis A22 in GA or Al on only inboards for a great price.....best of luck, its never an easy decision to spend that type of coin.