PDA

View Full Version : Tower "Wiggle"

IndyMobius
08-14-2017, 12:26 PM
Hi guys, new to the Moomba family with an '04 Mobius XLV I bought a few weeks ago. I feel like the tower wiggles a lot when going over rough waves/chop. I have read all I could find on here about checking the bolt tightness (but not too tight!), etc., so this is more a question for those other XLV owners out there as to how much wiggle is considered normal? Never had a boat with a tower before so I have no idea if this is totally fine or if I should be worried. Some smallish gelcoat cracks around each tower base as well (looked at those pages on this forum as well, sounds like a quasi-normal/minor thing?).

Items on the tower:
4 MB Quart chrome speakers (factory maybe?) - fairly large, maybe 6-8" in diameter and 8-10" deep
Wakeboard racks on either side with 1 wakeboard in them
Foldable bimini top
Mako light bar

I feel like that weight shouldn't be an issue given that we tow humans from it. Only tow surfing right now too, tubes and skiis go from the pylon.

twisters6
08-14-2017, 02:46 PM
Curious to here the answers on this topic as well.

IndyMobius
08-14-2017, 03:02 PM
And to clarify too, I'm talking side-to-side movement, not front-to-back...

Darter
08-14-2017, 05:13 PM
I'm guessing this is pretty normal. Ours does the same thing.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

IndyMobius
08-14-2017, 10:11 PM
Well at least I'm not the only one!

Broke Pilot
08-16-2017, 08:42 PM
Yea, even my '06 does it, only gets worse the more speakers/weight you put up top. You gotta remember, these year boats are still 'ski' boats with a tower. It's an add on. Having 4 feet with very small contact points is gonna give it some wobble. Nature of the beast.

IndyMobius
08-16-2017, 09:05 PM
Helps to hear this is normal. Previous owner took care of the basics but some of his mechanical skills have me wondering. Now I have the tendency to see problems everywhere!

Fastest1
08-19-2017, 12:50 PM
I have an 08 and have had many other types of boats over the years, they all flex. Just check the bolts regularly.