PDA

View Full Version : Tubing from the Tower?

Garn
08-10-2017, 11:42 AM
My family forced a 3-man tube on me for Father's Day. In the accompanying card, my kids begged me not to sell it. (I hate pulling tubes if you can 't tell.) My question is can I pull it from the pylon on my tower?

Garn

JoelFett
08-10-2017, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't recommend it. With kids, you could be fine, but put 3 adults on there and some heavy chop and your tower might not make it thru. I pull from the ski pylon by the engine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MGX
08-10-2017, 11:52 AM
I have an 06 LSV and it says not to pull more than a rider on the tower. I stopped pulling the tube from there and use the ski pole now. The weight from the tube and lateral forces has squeezed the rubber pads out from under the tower feet a bit. We ended up having to retighten many of the bolts and the pads remain stretched.

Darter
08-10-2017, 01:56 PM
I would definitely avoid the tower, unless you're towing a little kid with very easy (read: gentle) riding, like a little kid would prefer.

Anything beyond that and we've submerged tubes, gotten total slack followed by a big yank, etc. That's just too much stress for a tower.

Now on the pylon, you can swing that thing around like a yo-yo and launch your riders like a sling shot (not that I endorse this ;) ). That will have them regretting buying you a tube in a hurry.

lsvboombox
08-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Only put a 1 man tube on the tower when I try to get someone to do a W2W

I give credit if the body lands outside the wake and bonus points if you are able to stay on the tube

5:00
08-10-2017, 03:47 PM
I only tow tubes from the pylon. Get the towable booster ball thing and it solves a lot of problems. It keeps the rope from dragging in the water and from throwing water in the kid's faces. Acts as a nice shock absorber as well.

http://cdn.overtons.com/product/014/14181_L1.jpg?interpolation=lanczos-none&downsize=1200px:1200px

996scott
08-10-2017, 05:11 PM
pylon only for me. I hate tubes as well!

Railroadkenny502
08-10-2017, 08:47 PM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MGX
08-10-2017, 08:51 PM
The only thing worse than pulling a tube is riding on it!

bergermaister
08-11-2017, 02:56 AM
Big air. Big wipe outs. Big stress on the tower. I stick to the pylon too. We usually end up with someone getting bloody or bruised every trip but they still want to ride the damn tube...

trayson
08-11-2017, 02:56 PM
I've indoctrinated my wife and son that the best tube is the one that you leave at home. Boardsports and skiing only for us.

As others have said, not from the tower. think about how you'll have the rope get slack and the huge jerk you feel when the tube is dragging in the water and the slack's taken up. No thanks.

I see that you have a direct drive. obviously the pylon is the strongest tow point. But hardly convenient for anyone sitting in the back seat. Maybe that's your excuse? that since you can't have people sitting in the back seat there's just not enough room to have people out and tow a tube.

beat taco
08-11-2017, 03:44 PM
I popped a tube one time six or more feet into the air perfectly ejecting everyone only to have it submarine itself into another wave practically stopping my boat upon landing. Hardest force I've ever felt on my boat and glad it wasn't from my tower.
A wise man once told me the quicker you get the riders to tap out the quicker you can put it away. *cough *cough Berg..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

stevemarich
08-11-2017, 04:29 PM
I tow the little kids on the three person tube from the tower, but they are 6 and under usually only 2 on at a time, and don't get crazy with them, I like the rope high so I stays out of the wake when just putting around with them, but when the teenagers get on and the serious tubing starts ,then its down to the pylon, I love pulling tubers , just something about making them catch air makes me smile, and the little kids love cruising around it, if they are smiling , im smiling. driving in a strait line all day surfing gets pretty old and boring , nice to change it up a bit , and nothing better than making teenagers buckle and cry uncle.

Klipper
08-12-2017, 08:50 AM
I've indoctrinated my wife and son that the best tube is the one that you leave at home. Boardsports and skiing only for us.

As others have said, not from the tower. think about how you'll have the rope get slack and the huge jerk you feel when the tube is dragging in the water and the slack's taken up. No thanks.

I see that you have a direct drive. obviously the pylon is the strongest tow point. But hardly convenient for anyone sitting in the back seat. Maybe that's your excuse? that since you can't have people sitting in the back seat there's just not enough room to have people out and tow a tube.

If I have to tow a tube on my DD, I do it from the tow hook on the transom right above the swim platform. This seems like a strong point. Any thoughts?

padge
08-12-2017, 09:37 AM
Tow hook from transom I believe is the best place to tow a tube

moombahighrider
08-12-2017, 10:21 AM
Tow hook from transom I believe is the best place to tow a tube

The new boats don't have the transom option anymore. Stuck with the pylon, but that's where I have always pulled tubes from, on the random occasion that we do it.

padge
08-12-2017, 10:21 AM
The new boats don't have the transom option anymore. Stuck with the pylon, but that's where I have always pulled tubes from, on the random occasion that we do it.

The grab handle should have a hook?

moombahighrider
08-12-2017, 10:24 AM
The grab handle should have a hook?

Negative.

17 mojo

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170812/2f8a2c6e77e9d9a92fbc78c324c0b77a.jpg

russellsmojo
08-12-2017, 11:32 AM
A two page thread on how to tow a tube! Who knew it was that hard??? [emoji3]

TrueKaotik
08-14-2017, 06:30 PM
When you got some people towing from the tower where it should never be towed from, it's well needed I guess....

trayson
08-14-2017, 06:33 PM
A two page thread on how to tow a tube! Who knew it was that hard??? [emoji3]

It's not that hard.... DON'T.

trayson
08-14-2017, 06:35 PM

You don't have a direct drive like the OP. his conundrum was towing from tower, stern or the CENTER pylon. Towing from the rear pylon of a v-drive is a non-issue as it doesn't slice off the heads of rear passengers like happens on the center pylon of a direct drive. :-)

stevemarich
08-14-2017, 07:05 PM
When you got some people towing from the tower where it should never be towed from, it's well needed I guess....

I guess if a 150 lb of kids at 12-14 mph staying in the wake is too hard on the tower and should never done , then at 6'1 240 I probably better not wakeboard off it either, I guess I could stay in the wake and not load the line

ejj
08-14-2017, 09:14 PM
I guess if a 150 lb of kids at 12-14 mph staying in the wake is too hard on the tower and should never done , then at 6'1 240 I probably better not wakeboard off it either, I guess I could stay in the wake and not load the line

I think what most people are doing with tubes is more than that; anyway, the real risk is when the tube gets caught under a wave and acts like a huge brake. Enormous stress--even more than a big dude cutting on a ski or board.

stevemarich
08-14-2017, 09:25 PM
I think what most people are doing with tubes is more than that; anyway, the real risk is when the tube gets caught under a wave and acts like a huge brake. Enormous stress--even more than a big dude cutting on a ski or board.

Definitely can't argue that , like earlier post said serious tubing definitely not from tower , years before being around a boat with a tower we used the tie down points on the transom , two ropes going to this bullet looking thing that tubes hooked to , but dang that was more than 20 years ago

russellsmojo
08-14-2017, 10:48 PM
[emoji482]to page 4.

KnoxMojo
08-15-2017, 06:48 AM
Y'all care to come out and tell all the people on our lake this about tubing from the tower? Or just let them keep doing it in hopes their boat goes out of service? It also seems a lot of those boats are MC or Bu...lol

The_Robo_Fighter
08-15-2017, 07:15 AM
:) ^^^^^^ All of this^^^^^ :)
Maybe we can get the Feds to ban tubes.....:confused:

5:00
08-15-2017, 12:10 PM
I have no issues pulling tubes. A lot of people come out to our boat for one weekend and they may not come back for quite a while. A lot of people aren't going to learn in the hour or less they will actually get behind the boat. What is the point of forcing them to attempt to learn to board or surf for a few minutes. We encourage everyone to learn and that used to be the only option. We gave up on that because not everyone wants to, may not be able to and they just sit on the boat. Everyone on the tube can have a blast and has a smile on their face the whole time whether just cruising or giving a hell ride. We are about having fun for all. That being said we pull the tube about 4 times per season so it's not that bad.
The problem is you have to have a dedicated tube session because I am not fitting the tube on the boat to board and I am not deflating it.
It sucks down some fuel doing it too!

zabooda
08-15-2017, 01:16 PM
I tube from the tower in most cases. I use the rear hook if I have adults with the request for the max ride. Judgement call. I found if you tube the kids they won't want to do anything else and it bores the driver so I would tube them to the beach and board sports after that. The kids would earn a tube ride back if they attempted to do some type of boarding during the day. It seemed to work and they wouldn't bother me on the beach with tube rides.