PDA

View Full Version : '12 LSV ballast overflow

Tylerrnemt
07-27-2017, 04:02 PM
Hello!

Just purchased my '12 LSV about a month ago and have put around 20 hrs on it so far... bought it with the intention to mainly wakesurf. It has the factory optioned GIII ballast system and sacs with the factory reversible pumps. I know they fill and drain through the bottom of the boat. Each sac has 2 hoses connected and a "air vent" with a screw on cap.

Question is should they overflow out the grommets on the side of the boat when full/overfilled? And if not what are those grommets for? Reason I ask is I accidently bumped the switched off during fill of the a rear bag and then I turned it back on. Didn't realize it until I opened the side hatch and the bag was so full it popped off one of the quick connect plugs on what I thought was the drain line and filled the bilge with a fair amount of water until I got it reconnected. Shouldn't it have overflowed and vented out one of the grommets on the side of the boat rather than popping off that line from the bag?

Not sure exactly how the bags are plumbed from the factory. Also could someone direct me to where the actual pumps are located so I can check the impellers?

Thank you!!

Tyler

icemanftr
07-27-2017, 05:06 PM
Fill/drain plugs on bottom rear of bag and vents out top when full through side of boat like you explained. I have a 2013.

Pumps are rear port side of boat behind that carpeted hatch where rear sack is at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tylerrnemt
07-27-2017, 05:09 PM
Ok so in theory the bag should have "overflowed" from the top hose out side of boat. In my case it had enough pressure to pop out the fitting on bottom hose but didn't drain out side of boat at all... maybe I have a hose issue? I'll check that out

Thanks!!

sivs1
07-27-2017, 05:20 PM
Yes, the vent line should act as an overflow, but not to the extent of leaving the pump running constantly and expecting the vent line to suffice as an adequate drain. Something somewhere in the system will have to fail and those quick connects are the most likely fail point.

moombahighrider
07-29-2017, 02:02 AM
I believe your hose popped off because something was pulling on it. Maybe the bag was not centered and the hose got caught or the hose was caught in another way to pressure it as the bag got full and it popped off. It has happened to me...

Tylerrnemt
07-29-2017, 09:07 AM
I believe your hose popped off because something was pulling on it. Maybe the bag was not centered and the hose got caught or the hose was caught in another way to pressure it as the bag got full and it popped off. It has happened to me...

Ahh that makes since also! Thanks!

North Woods Mobius
07-29-2017, 11:30 AM

This ^^

Happened to me 2 weeks ago ... we were in a hurry to get some late afternoon surfing in before our cocktail cruise with my brother in law and his family and my portside 900 rear bag filled while it was a bit off-kilter. As it filled the last ~10%, the vent line got caught between the bag and the inside of the gunwale and it popped the quick-connect vent line hose off the top of the bag. I managed to catch it before water started flowing into the locker, but it was a good reminder what it can happen if you're in too much of a hurry :)

gregski
07-30-2017, 02:36 PM
Or it can just get pinched, clogged, plugged, etc. Those reversible pumps generate enough pressure if the vent isn't venting to pop the quick connectors off.