PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on fins

Pound
07-27-2017, 10:31 AM
OK, I get the concept of fin size and to some degree, shape. But what about placement. I have a crappy board and it came w/three fins.

What differences would I expect (other than it'll be looser) if I remove only the center fin versus leaving the center fin and removing the two side fins? Does either configuration improve speed/responsiveness? I plan on trying both out next week, but historically there never seems to be enough time on the water for experimentation. Can I squeeze any tiny bit of better performance out of a throwdown board?

kaneboats
07-27-2017, 10:35 AM
You would do better to explain exactly what board you have. I used to experiment with my Broadcast when it was the only board we had. It had 3 fins and was boring but easy to ride. Going to a single fin made it a bit more slippery and helped it turn easier but that was not the best setup. We tried removing the center fin and leaving the two outer ones. It made the board way more fun to ride. But, it was still a Broadcast so it was limited. Nothing like the newer boards we got later on.

Pound
07-27-2017, 10:47 AM
It's a CWB Ride. I think I'll try removing the center fin 1st.

Ed_Geary
07-27-2017, 11:39 AM
remove the front fin too if you haven't already. The Ride is a pretty heavy board. I wouldn't expect to much out of it. It's a board where it is very easy to just ride in straight path all day long.

Pound
07-27-2017, 12:22 PM
You're saying remove all three?

Ed_Geary
07-27-2017, 12:43 PM
No. My Ride had a fin in the front and three in the rear. Maybe they changed configurations over the years.

Pound
07-27-2017, 02:06 PM
Yeah, it just has the three in the rear

jmvotto
07-28-2017, 09:38 AM
Remove the center fins

TJG
07-28-2017, 09:41 AM
I have a ride as well, I'm going to remove center fin this weekend and see the changes it makes. I just installed 1100 last weekend, so really just finding the feeling of surfing with no tow from the boat. Looking forward to upgrading the board soon (to what. . .I have no idea).

SorryCharlie
07-28-2017, 04:18 PM
LOL, Looks like everybody has a Ride. Definitely post up the results because you guessed it, I have a RIDE too :rolleyes:

I did buy a Driftsun Throwdown, I'm going to test it this weekend and I'll post what I think compared to the RIDE.

The Ride is a heavy board for sure, the Throwdown is alot lighter and a few inches shorter as well.

s281cheddar
07-31-2017, 11:57 AM
We also have the ride. Cheap easy stable board. Ride is the best for noobs. Haven't had a person out yet that's new to surfing that hasn't been able to get up on it tho. It's great for beginners, and for people to feel the wave. However if your looking to remove fins, your probably already to advanced for the ride. Just leave in the fins, use that as your beginner board, and get yourself something better to play on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk