PDA

View Full Version : Boat Drivers -useless Rant

flienlow
07-26-2017, 05:11 PM
So... you want to have fun. You want to enjoy life. You like water and so does your family. You proceed to go out and spend a TON of money to buy a boat. It is then when it really hits you. All of the People that you know and ride in a Car with in life are completely clueless as how to A. Operate a boat, and B. Tow a rider (namely you, because after all YOU want to enjoy your own boat.)

I always take the time to ensure, when someone takes the helm I let them drive it first and go through the motions. But it seems that no one seems to pay attention to anything I say. They pull you in a arch when you are trying to wakeboard. They make right turns when you are surfing on the left side of the boat. NO ONE and figure out the cruise control even though it is set and forget it. The feel that must floor it to get back to you, or not and spoon the bow, and let's not even talk about the wake plate, a wife that goes into lala land and doesn't pay attention to shit, or running my damn boat on the rocks. :(

That working in Concert with friends that bring starving kids on your boat that eat chips and make a complete mess , jump on everything like its a trampoline, yell and scream while you are trying to concentrate and keep everyone alive. Did I mention "Free Ride Rob" that thinks that boat runs on good will instead of gas, and everyone saying "buy", "thank you" while you have at the very least another 20 minutes of cleaning and stowing?

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy my friends, I love their kids, and I cant take this boat with me when I die. It will be dinged, it will be messy, and scratched.
But sometimes it is so damn frustrating to have fun. :)

How do you handle it? what do you do?

mgswake
07-26-2017, 05:25 PM
I try to remind people not to step on seats. Luckily, my wife drives pretty well. I have a few dings and a dirty boat. But, I don't spend hours each week wiping down, cleaning, and waxing. It is a boat, enjoy it! Like you said, can't take it with you.

As fast gas goes, I budget the gas into my monthly budget. A few years back, I had friends that took me on their boats and never asked for/accepted money from me. I just pay that forward now.

I think so many people are buying these big expensive boats that they feel they have to keep them perfect. My boat is paid in full so I don't worry about much other than routine maintenance.

And we are always here for ya, if you want to come on here and rant!

Gqjeff
07-26-2017, 05:37 PM
We r on a smaller private lake, Everyone power turns on this lake except us LOL.. I laugh my ass off as they do this and their kids bob up and down under water. Also perfect glass so what happens 5 boats come out pulling damn hotdogs 2-3 of them and churn the water up. It never fails but in the end they pay the same as we do to have a cabin on the lake so who am I to complain? Happy boating! tonight it will be glass though and maybe 1-2 other boats... ;)

Pound
07-26-2017, 05:40 PM
It's good to get it off your chest. lol.
I have similar issues w/trying to get my wife to dial in the surf wake on the fly. She doesn't know what button/switch/lever does what. So I've taught my 17 y/o instead. ;-) don't get me wrong, she's a great driver and can pull me just fine and she is beginning to pick up on stuff like wake plate, speed adjustments, etc. but i think we're a long way from her adjusting the ballast etc on the fly. (hmmm. maybe i can make a case for a new boat w/autowake!!!!) along w/backing the trailer down when we load up etc she's an awesome help (plus she always remembers to bring the stuff i don't think about like snaks, sunscreen, ear protection for my 4 y/o (dem rev 10's doe)
However, my 17y/o and i typically do all the breaking down and stowing for the trip home, but that's because my wife is watching our other kids.

I have never asked or expected anyone to pitch in for gas. I look at it this way, I own the boat, I assume the financial responsibility of it. I'd be spending the $$ anyway if it were just my family on the boat so it's somewhat a sunk cost.

And kids will be kids. Some are more annoying than others... that is true. lol As long as they don't have shoes on, the boat (at these prices) should be tough enough to handle a little horseplay.

But it does feel good to vent i'm sure.

mattsask
07-26-2017, 05:48 PM
I've been lucky, my lady was basically a blank slate when we bought the boat last season. She picked it up quickly and has easily become the best driver in my crew. There is the occasional autopilot moment when she forgets something, but she's the closest thing I have to driving for myself. I get your frustration though, you spent the cash, but are the only one getting a less than perfect tow. As much as it sucks, sometimes I fall intentionally if the driver is doing something I don't like. That way you can correct the problem and give them some pointers, rather than having a terrible and frustrating set.

I also find that I can never go first, because I have to do some fine tuning with a rider first. The kid part, ya it's frustrating, but your hands are tied unless you want to be the fun police. In that case nobody will want to go out with you for fear of getting crumbs in the boat. Haha. I just bite my tongue and let that crap slide, who cares about an extra thousand or two on resale.... At the end of the day, it's just a posession, pristine condition or a little beat up its not going to break the bank if you lose a few dollars on resale down the road. It's all about the fun, so don't sweat the small stuff.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

zabooda
07-26-2017, 06:56 PM
Just a few comments. Concentrate in teaching your wife to pull you and not bother with others as she will be with you most of the time. Look for that one good driver and she could be that. My wife didn't have any interest so I relied on other seasoned boat drivers.

I used cruise control for the first time on my friends boat and he had to reiterate that the beep means it's in control and not touch the handle. Not intuitive plus I probably wasn't listening the first time.

Have everyone fed before boating and later on find a place on the water (beach or dock) where everyone can get out and eat. Hydration is important so drinks on the boat is important just stay away from the staining type.

The portable Dyson or a strong vacuum cleaner works great to clean out the boat. Let everything dry out first and it will pick up the stuff not stuck to the floor. Towels on the seats help.

brad460
07-26-2017, 08:09 PM
Before I even get on the water I am super irritated because of the idiots at the boat landing..not to mention everything you posted.

We sold our boat last summer because we had twins and they are a handful. We expected to buy again for next season, but I have to be honest- I am not missing boating AT ALL...crazy huh? I had boats for 15+ years.

My in-laws have a pontoon boat so I can get my "lake fix", but it feels damn good being a passenger..

mattsask
07-26-2017, 08:23 PM
Before I even get on the water I am super irritated because of the idiots at the boat landing..not to mention everything you posted.

We sold our boat last summer because we had twins and they are a handful. We expected to buy again for next season, but I have to be honest- I am not missing boating AT ALL...crazy huh? I had boats for 15+ years.

My in-laws have a pontoon boat so I can get my "lake fix", but it feels damn good being a passenger..
Hahaha. Sometimes I sit down on the bench seat and enjoy a few moments as a stress free passenger. Then I snap back to reality.... I have friends with other top notch wake boats, but they're not nearly as dialed as my craz, so u usually end up driving.

russellsmojo
07-26-2017, 08:31 PM

Everything you said is exactly what it's all about!

My philosophy is soak it up. Enjoy every minute. Sure I get pissed about much of what you said but then on the ride home when one of my little girls says "daddy I had fun today"... well you know it was all worth it.

I have also found that talking to myself under my breath and drinking beer during cleanup, storing, packing for the day, boat ramp launch, etc make it better. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flienlow
07-27-2017, 01:11 AM

Everything you said is exactly what it's all about!

My philosophy is soak it up. Enjoy every minute. Sure I get pissed about much of what you said but then on the ride home when one of my little girls says "daddy I had fun today"... well you know it was all worth it.

I have also found that talking to myself under my breath and drinking beer during cleanup, storing, packing for the day, boat ramp launch, etc make it better. Haha.

True that. My 10y/o daughter has been dying to get up on a surf board and has failed the last 10+ outings to do so. Well tonight she finally got up. Not on my boat, but the neighbors. It was awesome to watch as I was not driving!

BrettLee3232
07-27-2017, 02:10 AM
I feel ya! I'm very anal about my boat, I treat her better than my truck (granted it's a work truck). My wife gets pissed cause I spend so much time cleaning the boat, always getting the service work done. Fixing everything when it first happens or needs something, but it takes me forever to do my chores around the house LOL. I have to start getting better at that though haha

I basically have 4 rules.

No shoes on the boat, that includes swim step & trailer!!!!!!!!

No red liquid.

No sand on the boat. It's not that hard people!! [emoji35]

No sun flower seeds (it's a new rule from the wife, still finding shells everywhere haha)

I don't see the issue with walking on seats etc. I'm 300lb and step on my seats getting on/off front and back, getting boards off the racks etc. I haven't seen any stitching coming apart or anything (knock on wood). I have the transom walk through but I don't care if people walk on the sides. But I guess if I noticed stitching coming loose I'd probably put a stop to that real fast. Hopefully I don't keep her long enough for that anyways [emoji23]

As far as gas money, I don't charge people gas money to come with me. If you are on my boat you are my guest. Will I accept money? Depends, if it's just me and a couple people usually not. If I have max capacity and everyone throws in a $20 of course I'll take it. I guess I have really good friends though cause everyone always throws me money or buys the beers or food etc. I've never had to say "excuse me sir but boats don't drive on thank yous".

I always offer money on other people's boats. If they don't take it I always buy beer or make them let me buy them lunch or something.

I never take money from my wife's friends or buddies Gf's though. I mean if the girl to guy ratio is on point who cares 🤷🏼*♂️

rdlangston13
07-27-2017, 09:46 AM
When the wife and I got out LSV back in 2011 we went out a lot just the two of us and the launch we used had not courtesy dock so she had to learn real quick how to drive the boat on and off the trailer. She has done it so much now she is probably better than me at it. She is a pretty excellent driver when it comes to pulling me but she is still learning how to adjust things like the wake plate and ballast on the fly. It doesn't help that we just went from an 08 LSV to a 17 Mojo so now she is having to relearn everything. She did just express interest in being more involved with the prep work of getting ready to go.

As far as guests on the boat, I get really annoyed with people who don't help so I really don't mind if it is just me, my wife, and Cody and Jo. I have a ton of fun with a small crew who is not clueless to the rules. I can't stand it when people step in our new boat with shoes on and then try to tell me "its ok, they are boat shoes". Or bring things like cheezeits or cheetos out. I may be cheap but I also expect gas money. I never ride on someone elses boat without tossing them $30 for gas for me or $50 if it is me and the wife.

Pound
07-27-2017, 10:07 AM
This is actually an awesome thread.
You know one thing that has always bothered me but I've never really told anyone... trying to teach new riders who just can't get the hang of it. I learned to ski at a very young age so i've been able to do watersports for so long now that it's just intuitive to get up on any board/slalom/barefoot/etc. And i actually consider myself a pretty good teacher, but sometimes, there are people who just can't put the mechanics together to get up no matter how many times you drag them, circle around them, encourage them, shout tips at them, and repeat endlessly... but in my head i'm like "c'mon, it's just not that f'g hard!!!". followed by, "g-dammit, here we go around again!" lol

kaneboats
07-27-2017, 10:13 AM
"OK, we'll meet you there." Nope. "Meet me at the gas station." Let them watch you pump the gas and pay for it. If they don't get the message then don't worry about it. You can always send them inside for drinks/ice/whatever. (I say that but I have collected less than $100 in gas money in the last 20 years.)

On board, give everybody a job. "Hey, this is kinda my living room-- can you make sure nobody steps on my nice clean seats?" "Hey, will you grab everyone's shoes when they get ready to board and stow them under your seat? Thanks!"

I taught my 16 y/o daughter to be the perfect driver for me. I would sit on the rear bench and watch her pull her brothers and sisters while I enjoyed a beverage. She got to college and joined a wakeboard club. Had instant popularity b/c she was a girl and a DRIVER! And she could back and launch as well. Then I taught her younger sister. Alas, she's off to college too. Now it's my 17 y/o twin boys. Both of them together can't make one of the girls as a driver though. My wife can drive in a pinch but still isn't very good at it. I say, "Thank you, that was great." every time though. It encourages her and she keeps getting better.

All I know is when I'm on the water I'm smiling. When I see a kid pop a new trick and they light up I light up too. Enjoy it while you can. We'll all be in rocking chairs on pontooners faster than you can say, "Who the F brought the Cheetos on my dam boat?"

Gqjeff
07-27-2017, 11:24 AM
Reading some of these I have to say some of you would suck to boat with LMAO... Life's short, learn to have fun while you can! Also if I invite you why would I expect money for gas in return? Again I invited you not because I wanted gas money but obviously because I must enjoy your company! You guys all have better boats then I do but damn.

Ed_Geary
07-27-2017, 11:32 AM
Reading some of these I have to say some of you would suck to boat with LMAO... Life's short, learn to have fun while you can! Also if I invite you why would I expect money for gas in return? Again I invited you not because I wanted gas money but obviously because I must enjoy your company! You guys all have better boats then I do but damn.

Glad to see someone else feels exactly how I do about boating!! If I invite you, your my guest and I'll supply everything - of course bringing more beer than I brought is always appreciated.

Never had an issue with someone wearing shoes on or into the boat and I love Cheetos :)

rdlangston13
07-27-2017, 02:01 PM

If you ask a buddy if he wants to go golfing do you pay his green fees?

rdlangston13
07-27-2017, 02:03 PM
This is actually an awesome thread.
You know one thing that has always bothered me but I've never really told anyone... trying to teach new riders who just can't get the hang of it. I learned to ski at a very young age so i've been able to do watersports for so long now that it's just intuitive to get up on any board/slalom/barefoot/etc. And i actually consider myself a pretty good teacher, but sometimes, there are people who just can't put the mechanics together to get up no matter how many times you drag them, circle around them, encourage them, shout tips at them, and repeat endlessly... but in my head i'm like "c'mon, it's just not that f'g hard!!!". followed by, "g-dammit, here we go around again!" lol

OMG THIS! I just don't get it sometimes. A slalom ski I can see someone having issues with but a wakeboard requires literally like 0 effort. You don't even have to have a super tight grip!

Poison
07-27-2017, 02:27 PM

Not if I owned the golf course.

Ed_Geary
07-27-2017, 02:27 PM

If it was my golf course - yes!

rdlangston13
07-27-2017, 02:30 PM
Not if I owned the golf course.

If I owned a golf course I would probably be well off enough to where I would not expect gas money for the boat lol

Dandy21
07-27-2017, 02:32 PM
Interesting thread. I always like seeing what everyone else does/thinks/what their policy is.

I found that the best way to handle this is to have an older boat. We have had boats for +/-15 years. An outboard and a few I/Os followed by 3 towboats. Our first 2 tow boats were NEW - 2013 and 2014 models. I actually searched several threads on various forums to create my "boat rules". I wanted to keep our boat pristine because we all know that there is NOTHING BETTER than NEW BOAT SMELL (I still think that). Well, by the time I put together my list (no shoes, no red drinks, no orange foods, no crumby foods....) my rules were listed - single spaced and a page long. I did not want to hand that out to our guests. I politely covered the core rules (already listed) and monitored some of the other stuff. Long story, we decided to buy and renovate a home and hence I was informed it was time to part with the towboat. When we sold the old house we had some equity and I was determined to get a surfable boat back. We went from a 2014 to a 2007 and as much as I miss the newer boats, I don't miss the payments and don't have to worry about the first scratch. There were a few stains on the vinyl, a few scuffs in the hull but the boat was sound. I take care of the regular maintenance and try do a quick wipe down every time she gets pulled out. She gets a thorough vinyl cleaning once to twice a year (removing the seats and complete clean) along with an exterior detail once a year. Yeah, she isn't perfect but with just a few deep cleanings a year she cleans up next to new. I feel that a good wax in the Spring and a good wax in the Fall is all it really needs to protect it. We determined that our time on the water with friends and family doing what we love is more important than having a boat that looks great on the trailer.

I have never expected our guests to pay for fuel. Like previously stated, we are going out anyway. Now, if I was asked to take the boat out and accommodated it, then I would expect something, but if we are out anyway...hop on. That stated, there are some guests that have dropped off/mailed Thank Yous and gift cards to my favorite restaurant...guess who get the first call to join us - not so much that they gave something, but they took the time to write us a thank you. We KNOW they appreciate us, our boat and our time. We have our short list of guests and then our other list. The short list are the ones that will send a thank you, stick around to help wipe down, show up on time, offer to grab the dock, offer to drive so I can get a run in and give my wife a break (never allowed it - but appreciate the offer), making sure that we get our chance to ride. There is NOTHING worse than guests that want to be picked up and dropped off at the dock and basically want to get their runs in and then head off to the rest of their life...these people are ONE AND DONE and very often are avoided as a whole moving forward...I would never respect them the same after...moochers!!!

Long story short for us:
1: We have an older boat and don't feel as stressed about it. We make sure it is dependable and safe and then use it
2: Minimal time on cleaning through the season, deep cleaning prior to storage and prior to season
3: Keep the guests around that appreciate our efforts and do more to show it than say "Thanks"
4: Rid ourselves of the negative attitude/mooching guests - possibly unfriend them all together. I have a family and I have a very few close friends - I am good with that. I don't need to surround myself with a bunch of ungrateful DBags just to say I have 100 friends.

bzubke1
07-27-2017, 02:50 PM
Definitely try and train someone to be your driver. It was a bit frustrating for both my wife and I while she was learning, but now she's great and I can hop into the water with confidence about the pull I'm about to get. I definitely nit picked and mentioned all the little things I would like her to do different, which she did not like at the time but I think it was all worth it. I feel like there's two different kinds of people that come out on the boat with us, the people that don't go on boats often and may get a day or two on the water every summer. For these folks I just try and show them a good time and don't expect or accept any gas money. The other kind of people are the ones who come out to wakeboard and work on their riding. Most of my friends who have boats fall into this category and for the most part we trade off rides on each other's boats instead of giving each other gas money. For the ones who don't have a boat of their own I don't expect gas money but will take it if they offer. I find that now a days I prefer to get up early with a small like minded crew, get some riding in and be off the water by noon.

bzubke1
07-27-2017, 03:05 PM
OMG THIS! I just don't get it sometimes. A slalom ski I can see someone having issues with but a wakeboard requires literally like 0 effort. You don't even have to have a super tight grip!

Hate to say it but this gets to me too. I love to see someone get up for there first time but after 5-6 with no progress I start hoping they will be too tired to try again.

Ed_Geary
07-27-2017, 03:08 PM
same with a surfboard

kaneboats
07-27-2017, 03:25 PM
Not many people get up after 3-4 tries without taking a break. I usually say "one more try" and then "last try" then tell them to get in the boat. When they are rested I go over the procedure again and give 'em 3-4 more. I have only failed twice. Once with a real tall twenty-something know it all and once with a kid from the desert who was really uncomfortable in the water. The hundreds of others all became skiers, wakeboarders and wakesurfers.

Gqjeff
07-27-2017, 03:45 PM
Only 2 people I have never been able to get up on a wakeboard. Both D1 athletes LOL. We've taught 14 people over the last 3 summers.

Gqjeff
07-27-2017, 04:43 PM

With this reasoning it would seem the only reason you ask anyone to boat with you is because your to tight to buy the gas LOL.... I have paid for many friends rounds when I was at my private course. They bought the beverages and I covered green fees.

stillski
07-27-2017, 05:31 PM
When I get a turn in the water, I love the thrill of never knowing if and when I'll get a quick trip to 40mph and back to 8mph regardless of which board I'm on! When I ride it out, it lets me feel somewhat triumphant.

russellsmojo
07-27-2017, 05:45 PM
I have never asked, don't expect, and won't accept gas money. Having a few extra bodies in the boat does not cost any more than what I was going to spend anyway. This is just crazy. If I need the gas money I should not own a boat.

I do like them to keep boat clean throughout the day and help at the end if we all parked together.

rdlangston13
07-27-2017, 05:54 PM
Only 2 people I have never been able to get up on a wakeboard. Both D1 athletes LOL. We've taught 14 people over the last 3 summers.

Ha, one of the two people we have failed to get up is also one of the most generally athletic people I know, or at least he plays a lot of sports.

I am not too tight to buy gas, but you are on the boat and i am pulling you around burning gas for you then i expect some compensation. It seems to be the norm where I am from, pitching in gas money is just what you do.

beat taco
07-27-2017, 06:16 PM
When the wife doesn't want to pull me I set up my wave, get it to speed, grab my board, and start off the swim deck. Doesn't give her much choice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KnoxMojo
07-27-2017, 11:16 PM
These posts are great!! I would to see one started on what irritates people about other boaters, mine is watching people with high $$ wake boats pull tubes while doing S curves, absolutely drives me nuts!!!! On the rules for the boat, gas money and the such, I guess I'm fairly lucky in the fact that %80 of the time my boat leaves our lift, we are riding...so most of the people that come out are riders and either have boats, owned boats, or been around them for years, and just about every single one of them I trust driving my boat as I don't like to drive all the time. They also pitch in gas money, beer, help wipe it down and cover it as they know what it takes. We are lucky we get to gripe about our boats while others look on and consider us fairly privileged....as some has said on here a few times, relax, have fun, smile! But if someone is down right disrespectful or they just don't have a clue...crack that whip!

beat taco
07-28-2017, 01:27 AM
The fourth time the beautiful new mastercraft circled me with his tube in 3 minutes last weekend, in the ballast area on a ballast restricted river, while I was surfing, I started throwing my arms up. He's 50' away and doesn't even acknowledge seeing me, thankfully one of the kids on his boat makes sure to get his attention. I threw some air circles like I had a lasso in my hand and gave him the universal WTF signal. He left the area lol! Ffs, how come no one has figured out how to package and sell clues.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dusty2221
07-28-2017, 09:14 AM
These posts are great!! I would to see one started on what irritates people about other boaters, mine is watching people with high $$ wake boats pull tubes while doing S curves, absolutely drives me nuts!!!!

I used the feel the same, it all changed when I had a kiddo that was on the tube having an absolute blast. Drives me crazy pulling the tube, but certainly worth it.

rdlangston13
07-28-2017, 09:40 AM
I used the feel the same, it all changed when I had a kiddo that was on the tube having an absolute blast. Drives me crazy pulling the tube, but certainly worth it.

This. We don't tube currently but I know it is only a matter of time before Nolan wants to get on one and ride so I take it easy on people pulling tubes. It especially doesn't bother me in an open body where the water is crap anyways.

mikenehrkorn
07-28-2017, 10:15 AM

Completely agree.....enjoy the moments of fun with your kids!! My kids went through the same phase where tubing is all they wanted to do (especially when their friends were around) but as they grew older (now 19 and 21) they don't like tubing nearly as much and are back into wakeboarding and surfing. For the first time since I can remember we are almost to Aug and still have not inflated the tubes!!

RC_Hinojosa
07-28-2017, 10:29 AM
We are lucky we get to gripe about our boats while others look on and consider us fairly privileged....as some has said on here a few times, relax, have fun, smile!

This thread has been a whole lot of fun to read...from the insight of other's thoughts, to the venting and griping (I'm guilty of being a 'lil OCD and anal myself). I have to remind myself these are #FirstWorldProblems and we are all very blessed.

Knox, thanks for keeping me grounded! :cool:

KnoxMojo
07-28-2017, 10:42 AM
Sorry, I should have clarified, I don't mind people tubing, it's the people that do it from their towers and have no concept of sharing the lake with others..... I'm all about family fun on the water

russellsmojo
07-28-2017, 10:43 AM
I would pull the tube all day. It's peaceful in the boat and the kids are having fun!

This was a fun one ripping up some smooth water. All smiles. Then panic. Then yard sale!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170728/c0b558116bb1246565cda4b9cb4ec93c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170728/08d426d0cff688b856c8f15275492dde.jpg

bluice311
07-28-2017, 10:51 AM
I have never asked, don't expect, and won't accept gas money. Having a few extra bodies in the boat does not cost any more than what I was going to spend anyway. This is just crazy. If I need the gas money I should not own a boat.

My thoughts exactly!!! Maybe I should start charging my friends and family a fare anytime they ride in my vehicles too? This reminds me of a friend that invited me to his cookout and in return I showed up with a 30-pack of beer. At the end of the cookout he presented me with an itemized receipt for the burger I ate. I gave him the money, told him to keep the change, and that was the last time I spoke to him.

mattsask
07-28-2017, 12:18 PM
What's with all the hate for tubing from the tower? Keeps the rope off the vinyl, unlike towing from the ski pole on the sun pad.

wolfeman131
07-28-2017, 12:23 PM
What's with all the hate for tubing from the tower? Keeps the rope off the vinyl, unlike towing from the ski pole on the sun pad.

check your manual! it expressly states that it creates too much stress on the tower & mounting points to the boat.

Prospersigman
07-28-2017, 12:32 PM
Count me as one of the lucky ones as well. I have 4 different families that come out with my wife and my 2 kids. I know what beer they all drink and what the kids like to drink so I pack an adult cooler and a kids cooler. I buy the beer, the boat, the tubes, boards, etc, and the gas and never ever ask or expect money. They all know what I allow on the boat (sorry no Big Red, Hawaiian Punch, flaming hot Cheetos, things like that) and always respect the boat and the simple rules. I never have to police their kids, but have full authority to do so from the parents. They always help, load/unload the boat, wipe it down, put the cover on and then follow us 3 minutes to the enclosed storage unit to help guide it in. They always meet us at our house and follow us to the lake so they usually drop off a case or 2 of beer in the beer fridge in the garage. If I pull out of the storage unit and head to the gas station they often race over to put their credit card in the pump before I even get out of the truck. That or when we go out to eat after the lake the sneak over to the waitress and pick up my tab for dinner. One family goes with us almost every weekend and we were out on the lake last Saturday in the Mojo for a few hours before we pulled out and went to Slalom Shop to trade it in. When I told their boy what we were doing he looked over at his parents and said "Mom and Dad did you know we were getting a new boat today!" Good friends are hard to come by and if you find a few truly good friends in your lifetime then take good care of them. I love spending time with my family and my best friends families and watching the kids have a blast together. The fact that I can afford to do this and spend quality time together like this is truly a blessing from above!! Some day when my son and daughter are grown up and have families of their own I almost guarantee they will have a boat and pass this along to their kids.

flienlow
07-28-2017, 12:33 PM
My thoughts exactly!!! Maybe I should start charging my friends and family a fare anytime they ride in my vehicles too? This reminds me of a friend that invited me to his cookout and in return I showed up with a 30-pack of beer. At the end of the cookout he presented me with an itemized receipt for the burger I ate. I gave him the money, told him to keep the change, and that was the last time I spoke to him.

To be clear: "Free Ride Rob" (a real person) Is the type that never gets out of the water, never gets tired, and always wants you to take him. :) He will show up with nothing, use your rope, board, beer, eat your sandwiches and chips. I'm rolling down the road with a 50k truck and 60k boat. $110 grand worth of running gear that all needs to be fueled and maintained. I see no foul with pitching in for the good of the order.
Furthermore, if I invite some friends/family out. It's a completely different situation. I DO NOT ACCEPT money from them. Nor do i with my neighbors as one day its my boat, the next day its theirs.

The Tube: This is definitely the "everyone gets a trophy" device. All the kids love it and it's great for when you have a lot of people on the boat so everyone gets a chance to have fun instead of turning around for the ride that still hasnt gotten up on attempt #214. Im still not a huge fan of it, but..Whatever.

mattsask
07-28-2017, 12:34 PM
Good to know, thanks! It's hard to believe that would cause any more stress than the 200+ lb. Wakeboarders that lay down heavy cuts behind my boat though. I know I've heard some definite stress noises when a rider racks out hard and refuses to let go of their death grip, but can't say I've heard anything like that from tubing. Mind you, we don't tube very wildly with the youngsters I pull. We only recently started tubing from the tower because I noticed a small tear in my vinyl where the rope rubs.

wolfeman131
07-28-2017, 12:38 PM
Maybe 1-2 small kids that you're pulling at 12mph in a straight line aren't going to pull that hard on the tower, but put 2-3 tubes back there, each with 2-3 adults and start whipping them around at 24mph and you may just pull the tower off. That might be in the manual for the extreme, but ya never know.

KnoxMojo
07-28-2017, 12:40 PM
The drag from even a 1 person tube is much greater than you'd ever think, now add weight and it's even worse, multiply that by the ones that hold multiple people. I'm not opposed to tubing at all, just not from your tower

mattsask
07-28-2017, 01:03 PM
Got it! I'd rather have some ripped vinyl than a tower at the bottom of the lake. Haha. Thanks fellas. Much appreciated.

SorryCharlie
07-28-2017, 04:07 PM
Here's what I hate about other lake drivers:
1) Don't go across the bow of a boat that's trying to pull up a skier/boarder, go behind the boat! this one really gets me pissed
2) I'm on a large lake and it pisses me off when a 50ft boat goes flying by you about 20ft to your port or starboard, thanks @sshole
3) Please don't tube in a small cove, there's a whole friggin lake for the tubes, leave the good coves/water for boarders
4) at the ramp, get your boat out and take care of unloading in the parking lot, NOT ON THE RAMP!!
5) If you see boats anchored don't go through the area kicking up a bunch of wakes.

I never expect anybody to pay me when I invite them, I'm going whether they are or not.

I don't understand about walking on the seats? How do you get in and out if you don't walk on the seats? And kids are in and out all the time LOL

There's a few people with really large boats that have no regard for other boats. The wakes from some of those yachts are ridiculous but they don't seem to care. Anyway, I don't get to stressed out on the lake, I love pulling new riders and teaching them how to get up because my back can't handle the wakedboarding and skiing anymore. I'm that old guy now :)

PS: thanks to all you guys for all the help you provide in the forum, there is a wealth of information here ;)

mattsask
07-28-2017, 04:27 PM
Oooh the ramp! I was in a pinch yesterday and had to pull the boat out by myself with the help of my 2.5 yo daughter. A crew of d bag 20 somethings had their boat on the trailer pulled up in front of one of the ramps, pouring gas in it, tying their f#$@ing fishing line, and just generally dilly dallying. In the I'm they spent on sitting in front of the ramp. I pulled my boat onto the courtesy dock, found my truck, backed the trailer in, walked way back over to the courtesy dock, loaded on the trailer, pulled out, strapped and pulled the plug. All while juggling a 2.5 year old. And these dummys just finally started backing their boat in when I was pulling out of the parking lot. I had bite my tongue for fear of confrontation with my daughter there, but come on, how clueless can people be.

zabooda
07-28-2017, 08:57 PM
I pulled kids on the tower for 15 years with no problem. Adults a different story.

Jeepers
07-28-2017, 11:43 PM
So... you want to have fun. You want to enjoy life. You like water and so does your family. You proceed to go out and spend a TON of money to buy a boat. It is then when it really hits you. All of the People that you know and ride in a Car with in life are completely clueless as how to A. Operate a boat, and B. Tow a rider (namely you, because after all YOU want to enjoy your own boat.)

I always take the time to ensure, when someone takes the helm I let them drive it first and go through the motions. But it seems that no one seems to pay attention to anything I say. They pull you in a arch when you are trying to wakeboard. They make right turns when you are surfing on the left side of the boat. NO ONE and figure out the cruise control even though it is set and forget it. The feel that must floor it to get back to you, or not and spoon the bow, and let's not even talk about the wake plate, a wife that goes into lala land and doesn't pay attention to shit, or running my damn boat on the rocks. :(

That working in Concert with friends that bring starving kids on your boat that eat chips and make a complete mess , jump on everything like its a trampoline, yell and scream while you are trying to concentrate and keep everyone alive. Did I mention "Free Ride Rob" that thinks that boat runs on good will instead of gas, and everyone saying "buy", "thank you" while you have at the very least another 20 minutes of cleaning and stowing?

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy my friends, I love their kids, and I cant take this boat with me when I die. It will be dinged, it will be messy, and scratched.
But sometimes it is so damn frustrating to have fun. :)

Damn I wish there was LIKE button! And that is why god invented beer!

jason1973
07-15-2019, 02:12 PM
Look, i love having a nice boat just like the rest of us. But some people have to stop being so uptight. Its just a boat. Enjoy, have fun, don't charge for gas.

larry_arizona
07-15-2019, 03:18 PM
Would never even consider asking for gas $. I think BYOB is understood by most. It’s not like these boats use $100 of gas in a 4-6 hour day.

I do the towing and certainly can’t expect a newb to know what to do without being intimidated by a wakeboat and all you need to watch for (wake, settings, rider, P turn, crossing wake, water depth, other water craft etc)

Nor am I going to trust a newb driving my boat, the “you rag you pay” rule goes bye bye with the mortgage money these boats cost.

My guests are invited, chose your guests wisely. Haven’t had a rude guest yet. That is how you have fun.

Branden967
07-15-2019, 03:35 PM
Would never even consider asking for gas $. I think BYOB is understood by most. It’s not like these boats use $100 of gas in a 4-6 hour day.

I do the towing and certainly can’t expect a newb to know what to do without being intimidated by a wakeboat and all you need to watch for (wake, settings, rider, P turn, crossing wake, water depth, other water craft etc)

Nor am I going to trust a newb driving my boat, the “you rag you pay” rule goes bye bye with the mortgage money these boats cost.

My guests are invited, chose your guests wisely. Haven’t had a rude guest yet. That is how you have fun.

Great info there. +1 on choosing your guest wisely....I look at every day trip as an interview for the house-boating trip. Spending a day on the boat is one thing....a week in close quarters on a house boat is another. An ounce of crazy, your out!

Prospersigman
07-15-2019, 04:14 PM
I pack everything for my guests, from lunch, to snacks, to beverages (both adult and kids)...that way I can control what comes onto my boat. Thing is, all of my friends just think I'm one heck of a guy doing all that...really its just a control thing on my end :cool:

larry_arizona
07-15-2019, 04:39 PM
I pack everything for my guests, from lunch, to snacks, to beverages (both adult and kids)...that way I can control what comes onto my boat. Thing is, all of my friends just think I'm one heck of a guy doing all that...really its just a control thing on my end :cool:

The best way my friend, kudos.

My take is the boat is no different than my home, if I invite you, it’s on me.

My only unknown is what everyone likes to drink, I have a few flavors of beer, and certainly understand when people BYOB to the party.