PDA

View Full Version : Tips for rented lake house w/boat dock/lift

Pound
07-24-2017, 12:02 PM
We've rented a house on Lake LBJ next week and the place comes w/a covered boat dock w/a sling style lift. I don't plan to use the lift but will just keep the boat in the covered slip. I got some big balls (yup, i just said that) to use as bumpers. and am going to pick up some of those bungee style dock lines today to make it easy to tie up remove. Anything else I'm not thinking about for keeping the boat in the water for an entire week? I suppose I should bring my trickle chargers, huh?

kaneboats
07-24-2017, 03:37 PM
I'd be tempted to give the hull a good cleaning and fresh wax before you go. It will make a week's worth of scum easier to clean afterward.

mmandley
07-24-2017, 03:40 PM
Bring your own dock line.
4 point the boat to float in the center use the balls as intended.

I use the bungee dock lines and they are great when you can watch the boat

Don't trust them if you get a storm

If you have 110 power at the dock bring a charger, if not then see how fare power is away from dock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gqjeff
07-24-2017, 03:55 PM
whats the slings rated for as far as weight? Seen many boats on sling lifts before.

moombadaze
07-24-2017, 04:30 PM
what ever you do, dont use the sling--be about impossible to get the rear sling to contact just the hull, you will most likely end up lifting the rear with the prop shaft and that will bend it. Happened to a buddy of mine.

zabooda
07-24-2017, 04:51 PM
Any electrical near the water has to have an operational GFCI. Test the GFCI.

Pound
07-24-2017, 05:50 PM
what ever you do, dont use the sling--be about impossible to get the rear sling to contact just the hull, you will most likely end up lifting the rear with the prop shaft and that will bend it. Happened to a buddy of mine.

Exactly why I'm not planning on using them. I have no idea what other boat they were set up for...possibly a stern drive. Plus, I don't see a need for them for just one week. And technically only 5 days as we'll only be there M-F.
All I need is to damage my boat or his lift.

I will be checking my bilge maniacally for the first day or two though. I typically turn my batteries off when not in the boat. but i guess I should leave one on in case the bilge pump needs to kick on, huh?

Good call on checking the electrical for GFCI Zabooda.

jph3
07-24-2017, 11:12 PM
Bring your own dock line.
4 point the boat to float in the center use the balls as intended.

I second this. Just 4-point, and you wont even need the fenders.

kaneboats
07-25-2017, 09:22 AM
I typically turn my batteries off when not in the boat. but i guess I should leave one on in case the bilge pump needs to kick on, huh?

Good call on checking the electrical for GFCI Zabooda.

I would never leave a boat sitting in the water without the bilge pump working and on. Definitely be aware of the dock shock thing (ESD) and take precautions.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?29383-Electric-Shock-Drowning&highlight=dock+shock

rdlangston13
07-25-2017, 09:47 AM
So when ya'll leave Friday are ya'll headed straight to Bethy Creek for the Jam? Would love to have that Craz there again this year! LBJ is a blast, went there for a bachelor party a couple years ago and stayed at Log Country Cove. Some of the houses out there are straight up ridiculous.

Pound
07-25-2017, 11:41 AM
So when ya'll leave Friday are ya'll headed straight to Bethy Creek for the Jam? Would love to have that Craz there again this year! LBJ is a blast, went there for a bachelor party a couple years ago and stayed at Log Country Cove. Some of the houses out there are straight up ridiculous.

That's entirely possible! I was just talking to my wife about that this morning. More likely we'd just come up for the day Saturday though. I need someone w/some decent surf boards to take me on a demo ride.

Pound
07-25-2017, 04:56 PM
I confirmed w/owner that the lift is bunks not sling but set up for pontoon boat so regardless won't work and wasn't planning on using it anyway. He said just leave it down and just dock the boat there. And yes, there's a GFCI outlet available for a charger.

Here's a link to our rental for the week. If the weather is halfway decent, it should be an awesome week.
https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p957460vb

I also asked him about any clearance issues w/that railroad bridge and a wake boat and he said should not be a problem. plenty of clearance and wake boats are in and out of that cove all the time.

kaneboats
07-25-2017, 10:19 PM
Looks gorgeous. Have fun and be safe!