PDA

View Full Version : Does the Mojo have enough push for a skimboard?

DeezWakes
07-23-2017, 04:15 PM
I just bought a 23' 2017 Mojo Surf Edition. I'm new at wake surfing. I'm currently riding a 2017 Ronix Blender (hybrid). It seems to be a pretty nice board as I'm progressing every weekend. I'm really wanting to get a skim board but I'm not quite sure my wake has the ideal push for a skim board. Are there any experienced riders out there that can comment on this before I potentially waste my time and money?

stevemarich
07-23-2017, 04:46 PM
if you are factory ballast , and only surf edition, not surf max, it would depend on how good your skim board is, I ride a Obrian Maha 5 skim board, it has 3 1.1" fins, it is a super fun board, carves awesome , spins easy, and is fast, but you need a ton of push , it likes a steep wake, at least what I have found. fyi last year I demoed a 16 mojo surf edition, and could not go ropless with my board, but had no problems with the sanger v215 I had at the time, but with the upgraded rears in the craz, absolutely no problems at all

DeezWakes
07-23-2017, 06:44 PM
My ballast are factory 900 rears. I believe the 2016 Mojo were 750's. It seems everybody is suggesting 1100's. Thanks for your input

stevemarich
07-23-2017, 07:01 PM
1100 help , but if you have the 900s I would just do enzos for upgraded rears, for the mojo loves to have weight, but with 900s you should be able to get enough push for a skim board, will just have to run your wakeplate up and maybe drop a little nose weight depending on people on board , should be do able though, research the right board , that will help a lot as well

lsupcar
07-23-2017, 10:41 PM
We ride a Lakewakes skim board no problem.
We use a lot of water ballast but usually just driver, rider and one or two more.

muehlcj
07-24-2017, 05:42 AM
I just bought a 23' 2017 Mojo Surf Edition. I'm new at wake surfing. I'm currently riding a 2017 Ronix Blender (hybrid). It seems to be a pretty nice board as I'm progressing every weekend. I'm really wanting to get a skim board but I'm not quite sure my wake has the ideal push for a skim board. Are there any experienced riders out there that can comment on this before I potentially waste my time and money?

If the overall surface area of the skim board you are looking at is the same as your surf style generally speaking it should be faster on its own. Throw ride size, skill and other factors out and just look at the board. Skim boards have very little rocker and many have pulled it straighter rails. A surf style board can be "worked" to produce more speed but board alone skim should be faster. Grab a exile or Victoria skimmer that is sized correctly and you won't have a problem.

Jeepers
07-24-2017, 11:01 PM
Increase your speed. Increasing your speed will increase push. I typically pull 11.2 - 12.5 mph. Increasing your speed will also increase the surfable area of the wake. Just realize it speed decreases the height of the wake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poison
07-25-2017, 10:37 AM
What kind of speed do the pros run at?

wolfeman131
07-25-2017, 01:22 PM
depends & they adjust speed to their liking.

in most comps, the boat is set around 11.1 mph. Some of the skim riders bump that to flatten/lengthen the wave and surf riders slow it down to get a bigger wave.

for reference, Jordan currently likes the wall of water we get at 10.7-10.8 mph. remember, stock ballast, people ballast, etc. may dictate adjustments.

trayson
07-25-2017, 01:55 PM
Increase your speed. Increasing your speed will increase push. I typically pull 11.2 - 12.5 mph. Increasing your speed will also increase the surfable area of the wake. Just realize it speed decreases the height of the wake.

I've never found this to be the case. I've always found that lower speed = bigger wave = more push. And faster speed = lower wave = less push.

stevemarich
07-25-2017, 05:09 PM
I've never found this to be the case. I've always found that lower speed = bigger wave = more push. And faster speed = lower wave = less push.

I second this

gregski
07-25-2017, 06:27 PM
Except you're not accounting for length: lower speed = bigger wave = more push, shorter pocket. And faster speed = lower wave = less push, longer pocket.

trayson
07-25-2017, 07:19 PM
Except you're not accounting for length: lower speed = bigger wave = more push, shorter pocket. And faster speed = lower wave = less push, longer pocket.

Sure. More speed = longer wave/longer pocket. I'll agree with that.

The only time I've found that increasing speed gives more push is when you've got a washy, unformed wave.

I.E. low push at 8mph with a washy wave. Lots of push at 10mph with a shorter/taller/steeper wave. And less push at 12mph with a longer/shorter wave.

Poison
07-25-2017, 07:31 PM
Sure. More speed = longer wave/longer pocket. I'll agree with that.

The only time I've found that increasing speed gives more push is when you've got a washy, unformed wave.

I.E. low push at 8mph with a washy wave. Lots of push at 10mph with a shorter/taller/steeper wave. And less push at 12mph with a longer/shorter wave.

I get all that, and I agree on the push...but the better I get the more I need length in the wave. The longer the pocket is, the more room I have to generate my own speed. For just cruising, sure the slower speed gives more push and makes it easier...but I'm moving into airs and finding I need the room to pump and get speed more than I need baseline push (in the conventional sense).

It is entirely possible that I'm doing it wrong though. The resources for wakesurf tricks are way less common than wakeboard tricks and I find myself just trying new things and making it up as I go...as opposed to 10 years ago when I bought the 'The Book' and 'Detention' and immediately had trick progression, tips, and techniques laid out for me in my reckless wakeboarding days.

trayson
07-25-2017, 07:54 PM
I get all that, and I agree on the push...but the better I get the more I need length in the wave. The longer the pocket is, the more room I have to generate my own speed. For just cruising, sure the slower speed gives more push and makes it easier...but I'm moving into airs and finding I need the room to pump and get speed more than I need baseline push (in the conventional sense).

It is entirely possible that I'm doing it wrong though. The resources for wakesurf tricks are way less common than wakeboard tricks and I find myself just trying new things and making it up as I go...as opposed to 10 years ago when I bought the 'The Book' and 'Detention' and immediately had trick progression, tips, and techniques laid out for me in my reckless wakeboarding days.

That all makes sense.

DeezWakes
07-26-2017, 07:26 AM

Very well put. This is exactly how I feel about my wake. I'm curious if this is the case for all/most wake board/surf boats. That may be for another thread

Jeepers
07-26-2017, 05:02 PM

3 things happen with increased speed: "push" will increase up to a certain point. Once that point is crossed it drastically drops off. By increasing speed you firm up the water which is necessary for skim board. Skim boards suck on mushy wake. The increased speed increases the size of the sweet spot and gives you more surfable area putting the surfer farther from the stern.

Play with the wake plate while increasing your speed. I use to run mine nearly all the way up at 10.2mph. With the mission delta I'm running at the previous mentioned speeds with the wake plate all the way down. I'll nudge it up slightly to clean up the wake. In fact, if I see the surfer kissing it, I drop the wakeplate all the down again and it will push him forward back into sweet spot.

I'm driving a 08 LSV with no IBS, 1100 x 2 rear, 580 center locker, mission delta. The mojo will produce a hell of a lot better wake than I ever could.

Jeepers
07-26-2017, 05:05 PM
3 things happen with increased speed: "push" will increase up to a certain point. Once that point is crossed it drastically drops off. By increasing speed you firm up the water which is necessary for skim board. Skim boards suck on mushy wake. The increased speed increases the size of the sweet spot and gives you more surfable area putting the surfer farther from the stern.

Play with the wake plate while increasing your speed. I use to run mine nearly all the way up at 10.2mph. With the mission delta I'm running at the previous mentioned speeds with the wake plate all the way down. I'll nudge it up slightly to clean up the wake. In fact, if I see the surfer kissing it, I drop the wakeplate all the down again and it will push him forward back into sweet spot.

I'm driving a 08 LSV with no IBS, 1100 x 2 rear, 580 center locker, mission delta. The mojo will produce a hell of a lot better wake than I ever could.

Better explanation: at slower speeds it's easier to find the sweet spot (push).

Jeepers
07-26-2017, 05:20 PM
https://youtu.be/N2j74yhsW4k

KnoxMojo
07-27-2017, 07:31 PM
Is it correct to call it push or are you really being pulled? A lot of this speed, length, height and all that depends of your board and weight as well...so many factors!!!!!

trayson
07-31-2017, 11:48 AM
Is it correct to call it push or are you really being pulled? A lot of this speed, length, height and all that depends of your board and weight as well...so many factors!!!!!

many discussions have been had on the fact that it's really not "push" but more accurately it's LIFT. (like an airplane wing). That said, the accepted term is "push" so that is what people use to talk about it.